WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default San Juans in early July?

Hi gang, a fellow experienced hiker will join me to section hike Wolf Creek Pass to Stony Pass first week of July. We are [now] local to CO, have section-hiked the PCT and AT, and are in relatively good shape. But reading about the CDT (no experience here) worries me a bit. Some questions:

(1) Will snow be an issue at this time in this section? Recent trip reports are alarming, but accounts and wx estimates vary wildly. We will NOT be equipped with axes or any other hard-charging snow gear.

(2) We're not planning to bring bear canisters or spray as CO is meant to be fairly safe. Any objections?

(3) For navigation, we'll use the paper strip maps from the CDT Coalition, with Guthooks CDT Colorado for iPhone offline. I know CDT is poorly marked vs PCT/AT, so will CDTC paper maps + Guthooks be sufficient?

(4) I've read accounts of very cold temps at night, despite hot days. Confirm we'll need cold-weather gear for night?

(5) We're hoping to make 20-25 miles/day on this section (we did 30/day on PCT). Is this too ambitious?

Invite answers or commentary on anything related to this - thank you.

#4) What morning low temperatures do you call cold? In early September 2016 I was on the CDT in the upper Conejos drainage. I didn’t encounter freezing temperatures. I was disappointed. I had a 20 degree bag, fleece pullover and down vest for cold weather. I only really needed the fleece. I did sleep in lightweight synthetic base layer long underwear.
    2016 was soggy even in September. This year could well be the exact opposite. Watch your water.
    I had zero bear interaction. In fact I didn’t see any wildlife other than marmots.
    Did you do 30 mile days on the PCT up around 11,000’-12,000’+? Guthook app will show you elevation along your route.
    The San Juans are fabulous. Enjoy.
    Wayne

Garlic
    Images

As you likely know, it's very dry in the San Juans this year. You should have no snow issues on the CDT in July, unfortunately.

No bear issues. Moose could pose more of a safety hazard. I lost a salty sock to a marmot once. Standard precautions are enough.

That part of the CDT is not hard to navigate.

You'll likely see sub-freezing temps very often.

You will be able to keep up your PCT pace.

If you possibly can, tack on the stretch from Cumbres Pass to Wolf Creek. It is awesome, too.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Images

Quote Originally Posted by garlic08 View Post
    As you likely know, it's very dry in the San Juans this year. You should have no snow issues on the CDT in July, unfortunately.

No bear issues. Moose could pose more of a safety hazard. I lost a salty sock to a marmot once. Standard precautions are enough.

That part of the CDT is not hard to navigate.

You'll likely see sub-freezing temps very often.

You will be able to keep up your PCT pace.

If you possibly can, tack on the stretch from Cumbres Pass to Wolf Creek. It is awesome, too.
    With all due respect to my neighbor in the Great City of Golden, I have a slightly different take on a few of these items:

In July, you will rarely have sub freezing temps at night, unless you sleep above 11.5-12K or so, or in deep high basins. Lots of nights close though, unless you sleep low most nights. I shoot for 10-11K, my sweet spot for camps in most of Colorado.

There are definitely bears in the area, take the standard bear/food precautions, though I agree, Moose are the more problematic. And I lost a pair of socks to Marmots! Pesky little buggers, don't leave anything salty out of your tent at night, and if you don't have your pack in the tent, I recommend hanging your empty pack well out from the tree trunk (some little varmint ate through my pack shoulder strap one night in that area).

Having hiked all over those trails in the San Juans, and having hiked about half of the PCT, I do not think you will be able to keep your PCT pace, the trail is a bit tougher, both because of the altitude and trail smoothness. No matter how acclimated you are, there is still a lot less oxygen compared to the "fast" parts of the PCT. If you did 30's on the PCT, think low-mid 20's on the CDT in the San Juans, which is what you said you're shooting for, so all good. Still, it is an easy-ish trail, and even at my advanced age, I can easily manage 20's down there.

Just my take, not meaning to be argumentative.

Sun protection. Sun protection. Another layer of sun protection.
    Cover up like a Bedouin.
    Wayne

Thanks all. Pretty much gives me everything I need.

Why choose Stony Pass to stop? Are you expecting to hitch out(hard!) or have a ride set up there into Silverton or walking into Silverton? Personally, I'd veer off at the CT /CDT junction at the head of Elk and end at Molas Pass(easier hitches either into Dur or Silverton) or finish the adventure by taking the train into Durango or Silverton at the Animas. The scenery is better that way with easier general outs than the section of the cojoined CDT/CDT between the junction and Stony Pass.

20-25/day on this section in July is doable. long days, start off in shape, 30 MPD avg for the PCT. for a Thru? you'll do less on this section.

Dragging up the Cumbres Pass start for this adventure. Perfect highway-trail crossing. Good parking if leaving a car. Chama is a great little town. The Rio Chama RV Park is a perfect place to camp the night before and get an early start the next morning.
    Wayne

++ New Posts ++