WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Tuolumne Walkup Permits and Shuttles

Has anyone on here tried for a walkup permit from Tuolumne Meadows and knows what the rules are? Do they give out numbers so if you get out of line to use the restroom you don't have to go to the back of the line? Any other pointers to increase our chances?
    The day before we plan on hiking from TM to Happy Isles as a day hike, but I'm sure we'll miss the 5:00 YARTS bus back to TM. Any suggestions other than hitchhiking how to return to TM?

Journal Entries

There's just a line.

Since you can't pick up walk up permits until the day before..... After 11 am..... It's not really possible to get a walk-up permit and Day hike to Yosemite that same day. People doing that day hike tend to already have the permit they want.

One problem with the walk-up permit approach, is that if you don't get the permit you don't have anywhere to stay. Without a wilderness permit for next day....you can't stay in The Backpacker Campground. Now I suppose you could get some Wilderness permit for the next day that dont intend to use.... Just to legally stay in Backpacker Campground. So the following day when you can try again.

When in the que at any of the Y NP sites for walk up permits I simply say to those in line "I need to go the bathroom, I'll be right back." Then, I wait for and get affirmations...usually an OK, no problem or a head nod or we'll hold your place. I've always been within the first three in line. I never leave the line when the permit office is about to open. That's the biggest tip I can provide -get to the permit office as much as 2 maybe 3 hrs hrs before it opens! Having multiple itineraries ready for your permits is the next biggest tip. ie: DO NOT go cold to the Ranger's Office! RESEARCH your hike and options BEFORE getting in line! IMO, Rangers tend to be more tersely helpful, directed, and possibly provide outside the box permit issuing authority when you demonstrate you're unlike a common touron vieing for common most sought after itineraries.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    There's just a line.

Since you can't pick up walk up permits until the day before..... After 11 am..... It's not really possible to get a walk-up permit and Day hike to Yosemite that same day. People doing that day hike tend to already have the permit they want.

One problem with the walk-up permit approach, is that if you don't get the permit you don't have anywhere to stay. Without a wilderness permit for next day....you can't stay in The Backpacker Campground. Now I suppose you could get some Wilderness permit for the next day that dont intend to use.... Just to legally stay in Backpacker Campground. So the following day when you can try again.

Get two permits. One for the next day. Another for that day. On that day you do a hike to a campsite and see more of Y. Even if you don't get a permit for the first day you can stay at an abundant of places beyond the Backpackers CG in YV. Every time I get a permit starting the next day I do a hike on the day waiting. There's a bunch of stuff to do in Y and YV.

On that "wait" day...do a hike to a CS. Go see some Giant Sequoias.

Show up on a weekday and you'll have better chance of getting what you want; Friday doesn't count. Pick several alternative trailheads to start from so you can get something. Show up the day before to increase your chances of getting what you want as they start giving away walk up permits at 11am the day before. Popular trailheads in summer will be gone first day in most cases.

As long as you have a permit to start the next day, you can use the backpacking campgrounds. You could get a second permit for the same day so you can camp a sort ways up a trail the night before you start.

No alternatives to hitching if you miss your shuttle. Be aware hitchhiking is illegal in National Parks; even though hikers resort to it all the time.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Be aware hitchhiking is illegal in National Parks
    in yellowstone when i was there they had listed a recommended one way day hike i was interested in doing. i knew there was no shuttle bus or anything, but i went and asked someone anyway (i dont think it was a ranger, but it was an official employee of some sort at an information desk) and as expected i was told no, there are not shuttle buses. she was very enthusiastic about the hike in question though and fully supported my doing so.

"well how would i get back to my car when i'm done?"

her exact words- "well, hitchhiking isn't illegal."

++ New Posts ++