WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Journal Entries
    Images

Default Running the AT (but without intending to set a record)

I know at least a dozen people who have run the Boston Marathon.

They all have my respect, even though not a single one set out trying to win their catagory, much less set a record.

Which got me thinking.

We all know the names of AT runners who have set off looking for one of the FKTs.

But what of the other, more mortal runners who are running the AT for their own enjoyment and personal challenge?

How come we never hear of them

I don't know the names of any AT runners. I met one, who stopped and chatted for a bit, but I never got his name, he seemed like a nice guy. I've never much liked distance running, even when I was young. I was more a sprinter when I was capable of running.

Ounces are the little-death

Every year there are quite a few who have to go fast for whatever reason. Either they just enjoy it, want to see what they can do or have time constraints.
    I would assume every year has a few at 90 days or below. I imagine they're just less social and less self-promotional.

A few yrs back didnt a gardener from Greenbow AlaBAMA do it?

There was a rascal called Beep Beep that did it too.

I've run a lot of trail ultra events, more than 45, over 73 marathon+ events ... and I've also finished the AT.
    I sweat a lot when I run trails, especially in warm, humid conditions. I can't imagine the hygiene problems involved with running (fastpacking) something like the AT for numerous days. You rarely have a good place to sponge-bath, much less bathe or shower. And your clothes are all wet. What then?

It's possible to keep the hygiene issues under control while walking. Running, maybe not so much?

Because there are people out there doing all sorts of awesome things purely for personal enjoyment and don't talk about it.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Because there are people out there doing all sorts of awesome things purely for personal enjoyment and don't talk about it.
    Good to hear.

I was thinking that the only people running the length of the AT were those going for a record.

Perhaps the recreational thru-runners are participating in other forums.

Or perhaps some of the “fast hikers” are running sections without telling me!

I encountered a person who said she was "section running it." Not sure if she planned to do the entire thing...

Images

You cant run the AT. (some parts you can run)

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    Good to hear.

I was thinking that the only people running the length of the AT were those going for a record.

Perhaps the recreational thru-runners are participating in other forums.

Or perhaps some of the “fast hikers” are running sections without telling me!
    Were you looking specifically for LASHers and through hiking runners? Around here at least, there are tons of people who trail run on the AT, though not many that take that approach to multi day trips.

I've thru-hiked SOBO in 2005, completed 7 marathons (*set a PR and BQ of 2:59:04, and plan to run Boston in 2020), and I've run a few local trail races.

I love running on the AT.

I drive up to the trail from NYC in neighboring states and will head in a direction for 10-15 miles at a time and then "hitch" back to my car. From what I've heard from hardcore "trail runners" the AT is extremely technical and a high level of difficulty to run.

I've often thought of going for my own personal FKT in each state, see how quickly I could run each section of the AT in NJ, NY, CT, etc...

If anyone ever wants to go out and try one send me a message.
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Images

I am currently section running the AT (aiming to finish MA this year). I try not to draw much attention to myself when out there and go by the "Hike you own hike" motto. I do love stopping to chat with the Thru hikers I come across but unless you have someone with you it tends to be a solo experience as I move too fast to stay with anyone I come across but also can't linger long cause of the amount of miles I look to put in (16-20 miles).

From what I've heard from hardcore "trail runners" the AT is extremely technical and a high level of difficulty to run.
    This is accurate for a lot sections. But trail running/ultra running embrace power hiking as part it. The only folks that won't power hike a climb are the elite level athletes. This means one generally power hikes the uphills and run the flats and downhills (as much as possible). But some sections are are also great for trail running and are mostly runnable. Even Meltzer & Jurek did not "run" the whole trail. Trail Running is really to move as quickly as possible over the terrain.

++ New Posts ++