WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Best Backpacking, Hiking & Paddling Groups In and Around Greater NYC & New England

Helllllloooooooo Whiteblaze! My apologies if I’m posting this in the wrong place. I grew up in NY and hiked, backpacked, canoed, kayaked, snowshoed and skied all over NY and New England - NY ‘Gunks, Catskills and Finger Lakes, MA Berkshires, NH Presidentials, VT Green Mountains and South, and Maine Coast especially around Acadia National Park. I’ve been in the SF Bay Area most of the last decade, so everything old is new again : ) I’m a lightweight backpacker - learned L and UL gear and techniques, though I'm not UL and while I like to keep a light pack for the freedom and enjoyment, I don't sweat the grams.

My wife and I will be spending some months in the Greater NYC Area and even after this we’ll be visiting family here more often, and we’re wondering: What are the best and most active hiking, backpacking and paddling groups and meetups in and around NYC & New England for finding group trips, hiking and backpacking partners and carpoolers? Weekend, long weekend and day trips. Appreciate any you can suggest. Some we know already, though not sure how they compare these days in terms of activity:AMC NY-NJ ChapterAMC NY-NJ Canoe and KayakADK Adirondack Mountain Club

I still think the AMC is the best club even with what I feel are some misssteps in recent years

Default Amc

Quote Originally Posted by The Snowman View Post
    I still think the AMC is the best club even with what I feel are some misssteps in recent years
    Thanks Snowman, the AMC was looking good from their website, many scheduled trips and a great diversity of trips. Just curious, what missteps do you think they made in the last few years?

My last direct experience with the club was an AMC White Mountains Hut trip, which was great, though if I did it again today, I'd probably camp for a quieter night - every hut had a few snorers that broke decibel records, though that's something common to all hut/refuge trips around the world.

Images

Well, if you can wait until January there's a group of White Blaze members, and friends, that gets together on Martin Luther King weekend to enjoy a winter outing. In the past it's been in Harriman State Park but things could change at any moment. Keep an eye here at Whiteblaze for an announcement.

++ New Posts ++