WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bailout point gps location moreland gap tn

I'm needing the gps coordinates, directions, or another close by bailout point for the dirt road crossing just north of the moreland gap shelter in tenn. Doing a section from greasy creek hostel to just past moreland gap shelter and dennis cove mileage will be too far.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Check out my youtube channel
    Ramdino Roaming the Trails

I see there is a FS road 2.5 miles north of Moreland gap shelter. Sorry, no idea how to get to it. But once you get to that road, your just a few more easy miles down to Dennis cove. All the times I've done that section, I've gone from the Mountaineer shelter to Dennis cove in one go. That stretch is really easy compared to what you just did south of there over Roan and the Humps. I would get to Kincora late afternoon.

There is only one other road which cross the AT in that area, Walnut Mt road, a little north of the Mountaineer shelter. I've been there with Bob Pease, helping with some site prep work for the Mountaineer shelter some years ago. I remember it took a maze of back roads to get there. You'd be better off ending at 19E or Dennis cove rather then someplace in between.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

After looking at it again with your advice i think your correct, it may be too hard to have a shuttle driver unfamiliar with those back roads to find me. I just hate doing short miles. Tks.

19 e is way too short,what about fs 293 at howard harrison rd junction with at

Quote Originally Posted by ramdino View Post
    19 e is way too short,what about fs 293 at howard harrison rd junction with at
    Hardly worth the effort to go those few extra miles from 19E. 3 miles north of the Mountaineer shelter is a bench and a side trail to a hostel (which might be at the top of what Google earth calls Tower road). That might be a better place if you don't want to go all the way to Dennis cove.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

++ New Posts ++