WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Late February NOBO ThruHike 2019

Hey everyone!
    I知 30 years old and bout to be 31 next month. I知 born and raised in Southern California, a Navy veteran, rock n roll junkie, and reliable friend. I have hiked a small section of the AT last year from Amicalola Falls to Suches and met a handful of great people. Even those obnoxious ones haha. I hike for life and love everything about it. I知 constantly hungry for more knowledge of the Outdoors and, it never ceases to surprise me.

Anyways, I知 planning a Thru Hike this time from Amicalola to Katahdin. I have done plenty of research and would like to form a hiker group of outcasts like myself looking to get all those miles in while still appreciating what we have.

If anyone, wants to plan this and prepare for Late Feb 2019 lemme know! 🤙🏻

Hey, I replied to your post on my thread about starting late February but I don’t know if you saw it. Anyway, I’m going to leave my email address and if you want to try to plan to start together I’d love to hear from you if not I hope to see you out on trail! -Jill

[email protected]

-

impractical to obtain partners/ form a group off the trail, certainly it does not hurt to let out there that you are interested,

but IMO this would be the best chance:

start friday feb 22 - do only 5-8 miles for the first 4-5 days, this way you have the best chance to communicate with all the starters from that weekend - have an idea of a target finish date - share contact info with those who have a similar finish goal and would be your likely companions - hike on and see what happens - give a report on how it works out

Default Late February NOBO ThruHike 2019

I plan to start the AT next year the last week of February.Hope to see you in GA.

I leave a few weeks later (March 11), but maybe I'll run into you all!

Quote Originally Posted by methodman View Post
    I plan to start the AT next year the last week of February.Hope to see you in GA.
    Let me know if you want to carpool. My wife is driving me to the trailhead late feb.

By definition, do outcasts really join groups? LOL! Just kidding.
    Stay home. Hike the PCT. The money you save in coast to coast to coast transportation will fund a major part of a PCT hike.
    Cheers!
    Wayne

Hey I知 also planning a late Feb solo and would welcome some company along the way. Do you have an exact start date in mind?

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    impractical to obtain partners/ form a group off the trail, certainly it does not hurt to let out there that you are interested,

but IMO this would be the best chance:

start friday feb 22 - do only 5-8 miles for the first 4-5 days, this way you have the best chance to communicate with all the starters from that weekend - have an idea of a target finish date - share contact info with those who have a similar finish goal and would be your likely companions - hike on and see what happens - give a report on how it works out
    It does seem impractical, but I was a member of a group of women who organized via the women's forum here. One of them started a thread like this one, seeking hiking partners, and we communicated via email and then used the Group Me app to coordinate the trip. Unfortunately, I had to postpone my thru-hike but I know they stayed together at a lodge the night before they set out as a group on the approach trail. I don't know how long they hiked together.

++ New Posts ++