Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Results 21 to 36 of 36
  1. #21
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    72
    Posts
    7,188

    Default

    Its official. San Juan NF to close Tuesday June 12.
    https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.9ne...d=73-562670858
    Be safe Yall!
    Wayne

  2. #22

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J-M View Post
    I was going to start late June as well. Does anyone think it is worth heading out starting late June?
    Sure, why not? Who knows how long this fire will keep the SJNF closed. And by the way, you could always divert along the CDT before you get to Molas Pass (where the closure starts). The CDT from there (maybe 10 miles from Molas Pass) to Wolf Creek pass does not (I think, but check!) go through the SJNF and is no where near this current fire. They are making some small progress, BTW, in containing this nasty 416 fire, but a long way to go (went from 0% contained to 15% contained, whatever that means).

  3. #23
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    72
    Posts
    7,188

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Sure, why not? Who knows how long this fire will keep the SJNF closed. And by the way, you could always divert along the CDT before you get to Molas Pass (where the closure starts). The CDT from there (maybe 10 miles from Molas Pass) to Wolf Creek pass does not (I think, but check!) go through the SJNF and is no where near this current fire. They are making some small progress, BTW, in containing this nasty 416 fire, but a long way to go (went from 0% contained to 15% contained, whatever that means).
    I just dug out my trusty San Juan NF map and took a look. From Kite Lake the CDT closely follows the Continental Divide and the San Juan-Rio Grande National Forests boundary. In places the trail, Continental Divide & Forest Boundary are all the same. While that might satisfy the letter of the closure, it wouldn't satisfy the spirit of the closure in my mind.
    There are lots of places to go that aren't burning or closed.
    Wayne
    "You can't be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline." Frank Zappa

  4. #24

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I just dug out my trusty San Juan NF map and took a look. From Kite Lake the CDT closely follows the Continental Divide and the San Juan-Rio Grande National Forests boundary. In places the trail, Continental Divide & Forest Boundary are all the same. While that might satisfy the letter of the closure, it wouldn't satisfy the spirit of the closure in my mind.
    There are lots of places to go that aren't burning or closed.
    Wayne
    The fire is no where near the CDT.

    So, imho hiking the CDT does satisfy the spirit of the closure, as long as you're not actually hiking in the SJNF. There are a bunch of high ranges, places that cannot burn, between the fire and the CDT.

    But really, for someone starting the CT in late June, from Denver, this is an entirely moot point, as that 416 fire will be history, and who knows whatever other fires there might be. My point is to not plan any future hike based on current conditions.
    Last edited by colorado_rob; 06-12-2018 at 12:22.

  5. #25
    Registered User
    Join Date
    04-09-2018
    Location
    Durango, CO
    Age
    27
    Posts
    9

    Default

    I am thinking I will still continue my SOBO CT thru-hike plans starting in about a week, actually. Does that make me crazy? There are still literally hundreds of miles between Denver and the San Juans. About 400, actually. I have been planning this trip for a while and I want to at least give it my best try. Rain is forecasted for this weekend which might help them contain this thing. If I make it across the entire state and it turns out I can't do the San Juan section, I can come back at a later time to finish the final portion. In hindsight, I think a early fall CT thru-plan is probably the way to go for fire and other concerns. Like I said I committed to this plan and want to give it a shot still. What do you think? Should I do this?

  6. #26
    Registered User lonehiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-18-2005
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post
    I am thinking I will still continue my SOBO CT thru-hike plans starting in about a week, actually. Does that make me crazy? There are still literally hundreds of miles between Denver and the San Juans. About 400, actually. I have been planning this trip for a while and I want to at least give it my best try. Rain is forecasted for this weekend which might help them contain this thing. If I make it across the entire state and it turns out I can't do the San Juan section, I can come back at a later time to finish the final portion. In hindsight, I think a early fall CT thru-plan is probably the way to go for fire and other concerns. Like I said I committed to this plan and want to give it a shot still. What do you think? Should I do this?
    If you waited for perfect conditions for every hike you would end up doing just that, waiting.
    Lonehiker

  7. #27
    Registered User Venchka's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-20-2013
    Location
    Upper East Side of Texas
    Age
    72
    Posts
    7,188

    Default

    As Colorado Rob suggested, if the San Juan NF is still closed, turn left at Kite Lake and follow the CDT to Cumbres Pass.
    There are no bad trails. My granddaughter and I will be in the area in August. Wyoming is our alternate location.
    Wayne

  8. #28

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post
    I am thinking I will still continue my SOBO CT thru-hike plans starting in about a week, actually. Does that make me crazy? There are still literally hundreds of miles between Denver and the San Juans. About 400, actually. I have been planning this trip for a while and I want to at least give it my best try. Rain is forecasted for this weekend which might help them contain this thing. If I make it across the entire state and it turns out I can't do the San Juan section, I can come back at a later time to finish the final portion. In hindsight, I think a early fall CT thru-plan is probably the way to go for fire and other concerns. Like I said I committed to this plan and want to give it a shot still. What do you think? Should I do this?
    AS lone hiker just said.... just do it.There is a fire in Summit County right now too, you'll be hiking by at mile 100-ish, right now it's small and north of the trail, but keep an eye out.

  9. #29

    Default

    Obviously, this is all a moot point now that the San Juan is in stage 3. But, I did call their office in early June and got the "we don't have a crystal ball" response. Not helpful. Historical data based on previous dry (& and bad fire) years (2012-13) and the fact that the Santa Fe NF went to stage 3... and of course the obvious fact that the SW is in a serious and unprecedented drought would (& should) be enough to at least notify the inquiring public that they were considering a stage 3. Interestingly enough, a few days after my call asking if they were considering going to stage 3... they went to stage 3 - for the first time ever. So, my concern and resulting analysis was accurate. I do suspect that other nearby National Forests will go to stage 3 if (when) more fires pop up in the southwest area of Colorado. The only thing to hope for now is rain... lots of rain. I, for one, will be abandoning my plan to thru-hike the CT as I don't have the flexibility to wait around and see if things will improve. All the best to those who still intend to hike this summer. Personally, I'd hold off and wait till late summer/early fall.

  10. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post
    I am thinking I will still continue my SOBO CT thru-hike plans starting in about a week, actually. Does that make me crazy? There are still literally hundreds of miles between Denver and the San Juans. About 400, actually. I have been planning this trip for a while and I want to at least give it my best try. Rain is forecasted for this weekend which might help them contain this thing. If I make it across the entire state and it turns out I can't do the San Juan section, I can come back at a later time to finish the final portion. In hindsight, I think a early fall CT thru-plan is probably the way to go for fire and other concerns. Like I said I committed to this plan and want to give it a shot still. What do you think? Should I do this?
    I assume you're checking on the 416 fire, but as of this morning, there is a ray of hope, 18% contained, looking like some rains on the way soon, in fact, there are worries about flash floods. They let something like 1000 residents return to their homes. Just an editorial opinion, but after talking to my fire-fighter-neighbor about this stage-3 closure, he is of the opinion that this particular drastic measure was made because of the immense importance of the San Juan area to CO tourism, and the officials wanted to make sure no Yahoos started any other fires in the area, they wanted full concentration.

    The Buffalo Mtn fire (just north of Breck) is nearly 50% contained, and less than 100 acres.

    Speaking of fire area, the 416 is 33000 acres, something like that. Putting that into perspective, that sounds huge, but it's not. It's about 50 square miles, or if it were a perfect circle, obviously never the case, it would be a circle about 4 miles in radius, a spot you would hike through in half a day.

    Stay tuned! And don't over-react to something that almost certainly wouldn't affect SOBO CT hikers starting even now.

  11. #31
    Registered User lonehiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-18-2005
    Location
    Cheyenne, WY
    Age
    54
    Posts
    1,200

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Stay tuned! And don't over-react to something that almost certainly wouldn't affect SOBO CT hikers starting even now.
    What, you expect that to not happen?
    Lonehiker

  12. #32

    Default

    I think Wyoming/Montana is a good idea. We had a very wet winter...in fact Beartooth Pass was JUST closed due to heavy snow fall. I'll be doing a 70ish mile loop in the northern Winds at the end of August (assuming I have people to go with).

  13. #33

    Default

    FYI, yesterday I drove through Lake City from the west and over Spring Creek Pass to Creede and beyond. Although this was not in the closure zone, the smoke was palpable - both appearance and odor - beginning about 10 miles from Lake City until nearly Creede. Personally, I wouldn't hike from Segment 22 southward and I'm not sure about Segment 21 as the smog extended in that direction from Spring Creek Pass.

  14. #34

    Default

    An inch of rain is forecast for the 416 fire area, which would be fantastic for the fire dousing, but Way too much, actually, and will cause other problems. Stay tuned.

  15. #35
    Registered User
    Join Date
    06-02-2011
    Location
    Neptune Beach, Fl
    Age
    43
    Posts
    5,749

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Durangatang View Post
    I am thinking I will still continue my SOBO CT thru-hike plans starting in about a week, actually. Does that make me crazy? There are still literally hundreds of miles between Denver and the San Juans. About 400, actually. I have been planning this trip for a while and I want to at least give it my best try. Rain is forecasted for this weekend which might help them contain this thing. If I make it across the entire state and it turns out I can't do the San Juan section, I can come back at a later time to finish the final portion. In hindsight, I think a early fall CT thru-plan is probably the way to go for fire and other concerns. Like I said I committed to this plan and want to give it a shot still. What do you think? Should I do this?
    I liked the September fall weather much better than early July....coming from a Fl guy who hates the heat!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  16. #36

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •