WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Clothing for 6-day section hike

I will be doing a 6-day section hike in July from Dicks Creek Gap to Fontana Dam. I'm trying to figure out the following:

I will have 1 SS shirt to wear...should I bring a 2nd one so I can alternate?
    I will have 1 pair of shorts and underwear to wear...should I bring a 2nd pair of each so I can alternate?

Then should I bring a separate SS shirt and underwear to sleep in?

Thanks

No need to comment about other clothes because I'm just looking for answers to these specific questions.

I would not personally bring the extras to alternate. Clothes are a heavier item, so I try to limit duplicates here. I would find a stream to rinse them(and myself) off in every couple days assuming it hasn't been raining.

I would bring separate clothes to sleep in. If I am wet from rain or sweat, I want dry clothes to sleep in.

Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.

for me for 6 days, a change of underwear and dry sleeping clothes is sufficient

I never bring spares, except sox.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Having a clean/dry t-shirt to sleep in is always a good idea.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Leonidas

Doing the same trip in July. Will have a long sleeve shirt to hike in and a merino t-shirt to sleep in. Running shorts with liner to hike in and a separate pair to sleep in. Personally, a button up UPF shirt keeps me cooler than a wicking/merino t-shirt. YMMV
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

I'd go with the advice above just from their experience vs mine, but that said, thats more hardcore than I like.
    I'm ok with the extra weight and I even carry a shower attachment/hose(3.6oz) for my Dromedary and use it.

I find clean clothes, a shower and desert with dinner make me feel like a new man, its like washing away the fatigue(which in all fairness is really minor) to the point where I feel like I did not even hike thru the day.

I usually go two days between showers with the laundry done on shower day so its well dried by the next one. Call me crazy, I dont mind carrying 30lbs.

Great section...have fun. Did most of it this past March.
    More difficult than I expected.

Clothing. I always take a clean tee shirt, skivvies and a light pair of dress socks to sleep in. Nothing else.
    But I have only used them when soaking wet.
    From now on if my sections look dry/no rain I will leaving them at home.

Hope you are in pretty good shape.

Journal Entries

No
    No
    No

At least i wouldnt
    Only spare clothing needed is socks
    And thats debateable too on AT in good weather, on short hike.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-01-2018 at 13:52.

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    for me for 6 days, a change of underwear and dry sleeping clothes is sufficient
    This, except I carry an extra pair of socks (plus the socks I sleep in). My sleeping clothes are also my long underwear/base layer.

1 pair of walking clothes and if you would like, 1 pair of camp clothes. 2 pair socks.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

The first overnight (ONE night, keep in mind) I had the clothes I wore, clothes to sleep in, and a clean pair of clothes to hike out in the next day. I learned my lesson quickly lol.

I'm a fan of cleaner clothes to sleep in, especially if it is raining. It will really depend on what you are comfortable with. My job has left me showerless in the same clothes for a month, so I am ok with putting dirty clothes back on. My girlfriend, on the other hand, likes to have a change of shorts and a shirt for anything over two nights. Her comfort level. Do what you think will make you happy, because in the end, that's why most of us do this, right?

Jump in a cold creek with all your clothes on. Total heaven on a really hot day. They'll be dry come bedtime.

I would bring sleeping clothes, extra underwear (to dry when I wash the other one each day - but then, I am female...), and TWO extra pairs of socks... Socks, I don't skimp on!

I like bringing 2 light hiking shirts. Usually one is long sleeve, one short sleeve, both light weight.

Mostly because I sweat a ton, and I alternate fairly frequently (eg: sweat it up in the sun going up hill, then swap to the dry on the down). They get a lot of use

Underwear, I bring 2.

Rest of the clothes I'm pretty standard, but these 2 items are easily worth the weight for me.

++ New Posts ++