WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default How many pairs of boots

Have you tried - worn on the trail(s) - walked in for over 100 miles and then went to another type.

I had one pair of boots - which my feet out grew - size 11 I used for about 20 plus years even had the soles replaced.

Then feet spread out a bit to size 12 1/2. got new boots.
    That are not working out and now onto my next pair.

First, I'd hope that it didn't take 100 miles to decide that a pair of boots was wrong.
    Second, I'm to old to remember all (or even most) of my boots.
    Third, Since, except for technical stuff, I've been wearing trail runners or walking shoes for the last, geez, 30 years? I've been through a lot.
    Fourth, I think the last pair(s) of hiking boots I owned were some Vasques. I think I went through two or maybe even three pairs of those in 1989 or 90 and they are the last hiking boots I've every owned.
    Fifth, Sadly, I don't think I've worn out more than three pairs of hiking shoes in any one season since then. Marriage, kids, careers, they all seem to take away from being able to wear out lots of shoes.
    Sixth, as for spreading feet . . . I graduated highschool with size 12.5 feet. I graduated college with size 13 feet. I finished grad school with size 14 feet. Now my feet are size 15. The concept of feet not growing after a certain age is not, I believe, a very valid assumption. And no, one cannot attribute all of my foot elongation to collapsing of the arch(s), some yes, but not nearly all.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Thru backpacking in college I used a pair of vasque sundowners. At the beginning of completing the AT I changed to trailRUNNERS, a pointy aggressive soloman shoe(Speedcross 3) but I am now on my 3rd or 4th pair of Altra LonePEaks and will never look back. I do wihs that Altra had kept the breathable top, while continuing to improve the soles. Overall I couldn't be more happy then I am with my walking shoes.
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    Have you tried - worn on the trail(s) - walked in for over 100 miles and then went to another type. . .That are not working out and now onto my next pair.
    If the question you are getting at is how many different shoes have we tried until we found ones that worked well for us, well.
    I have a whole closet full of shoes that I have purchased over the last couple of years trying to resolve one problem or another with my seriously screwed up feet. My favorite shoes these days are my new Altra Timps. Prior to last month, they were my Altra Lone Peaks. When working on my feet on a hard surface, I prefer the Altra Olympus. Brooks Beasts were a failure for me - to narrow through the metatarsals. I still use a pair of Merrell Moab GTX shoes for winter day-hikes, but they suck for my feet if I am on hard surfaces for any time at all. Geez, there are about 8 other pairs of shoes in my closet (that I haven't thrown away yet) that I'm not going to dig out to remember what they are that either I thought would be good and weren't for some reason, or that my feet just quit working in even though they were a great shoe for me for a year or two until they weren't any more. . . I probably go through 3 or 4 pairs of shoes a year, and often one of those pairs is an experiment to try and improve on what is currently the best solution I've found.

It seems that when I find a pair of boots my feet like, they immediately discontinue them.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Years back I wore Vasque Sundowners. Now it's all trail runners, although in the winter I still go with Vasque Snowblimes.

I went thru a bunch of trail runners... Asics, Innov8, Brooks, Merrell, and a couple more... I thought Brooks Cascadias were the cat's meow but started having problems with them.

I've been extremely pleased the last couple of years with Altra LP 3.0, but of course they 'upgraded' them and the size changed a bit, about 1/2 size smaller. The LP 3.0 is a perfect fit in size 11.5 but I need 12 with 3.5s. I also got some Timps, which are very similar to LP and they are great, but the funky off-set laces are annoying because they also offset the gaiters. I don't know what the hell they were thinking there. Ennyhoo.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    . . . I thought Brooks Cascadias were the cat's meow but started having problems with them.
    1) I believe you were mistaken. The Cat's Meow is a sleeping bag from TNF. Brooks Cascadias don't sound very comfortable to sleep in.

2) More to the point. Why is that?!! My damn aging feet are never happy with any pair of shoes for more than a couple of years before they don't work so well any more. I spend huge amounts of time and hundreds of dollars finding the best shoe for my feet, and then, when I finally find it, even with custom footbed mods, after a couple years I have to go find yet another shoe to fit my ever changing foot demands!! Grrrr.

At least, right now, my feet seem to be relatively happy with Altras. Maybe they'll stay that way for a few more years before something has to change, yet again.

lol, I remember well Cat's Meow but it has changed a lot in the last 30 years! At least the name has stood the test of time.

Shoes, fit and tastes change... I think I have finally learned not to buy 3-4 of anything again.

Thank you.
    The boots arrived from REI last week.

Been busy and not able to try on to do a better walk around with them on.

Quote Originally Posted by Longboysfan View Post
    Thank you.
    The boots arrived from REI last week.

Been busy and not able to try on to do a better walk around with them on.
    What are they? If you measure size 12 1/2 with the standard shoe fitting metal Gizmo, I suggest you try at least a 13. Alas, from 13 and larger, no half sizes.
    Good luck!
    Wayne

Garlic
    Images

Like many above, the Vasque Sundowners served me for many years, many backpacking trips.

I quickly discovered on long distance trips that the leather boots weren't going to cut it. Especially since my first long trails were the PCT and the CDT, which start in the desert for NOBOs.

So I started trying out trail runners on the PCT. Unfortunately I did not find the right shoe until the end. Much of the first 2000 miles of the 2600 mile+ trail was somewhat painful. That was four pairs that didn't work out before I found one that did. I sincerely hope you have better luck than I did in that regard.

The payoff was pretty much painfree walking for most the CDT, and nearly all of the AT. The manufacturer, New Balance, has kept an acceptable shoe in production for the past 15 years, another bit of luck.

Most of my "hiking" when I was younger were in army black leather combat boots. Never had a problem with them hurting my feet once they were broken in. Started at 17 with size 9 1/2 and now wear Altras in 11 1/2. As soon as I retired, the Army got rid of the black boots and went to soft brown suede leather. All those hours wasted shining boots.

++ New Posts ++