WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Default "Remember, we are something to be revered."

Those are the closing words of some AT graffiti I saw the other day. It was On the wall of a laundry room used overwhelmingly by AT hikers.

The whole quote was longer. It was intended to be inspirational. You know, "we all have bad days" don't get down etc.

And it concluded "Remember, we are something to be revered." It was signed " Twigs '15"

anyone have thoughts on this delightful, inspiring piece of graffiti? I have many, but sadly now is not the time, which is probably for the best. But I'm curious what others think. Especially those who might agree with and attempt to defend the sentiment.

Think about those words. The exact choice of words. They have stuck with me for days as I've hiked. I think they're utterly repugnant.

I finally understand why a few people around here openly express why they want nothing to do with present day thru hikers. I'm not sure I do anymore either.

That sentence, to me, comes right out and boldly proclaims something about thru hikers mentality oft discussed here and denied to exist by many defenders.

-

if it is repugnant, than why do you glorify it by posting about it?

It's one person being insufferably smug. One. I'd really hesitate to turn it into a generational/hikers today concern.

There was one guy I hiked alongside, who was basically stoned constantly, and he filled the log books with rambling incoherent inspirational musings, at least to him. Graffiti is not a recent development, stoned ramblings are not a recent development, being insufferably entitled is not a recent development.

Yeah, it's a bad look, it's ugly, and it exists. Is it all that much uglier than "Kilroy was here" in WWII or "Foo was here" in WWI or "Nikasitmos was here mounting Timonia" 2,500 years ago?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Puddlefish View Post
    It's one person being insufferably smug. One. I'd really hesitate to turn it into a generational/hikers today concern.

There was one guy I hiked alongside, who was basically stoned constantly, and he filled the log books with rambling incoherent inspirational musings, at least to him. Graffiti is not a recent development.
    It's not about graffitti, it's not about a lame attempt at its inspiration. It's about the attitude those words convey. It is not the first time such an attitude has been seen. Not hardly. It is the first time I have ever seen someone come right out and own it, be proud of it even.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    It's not about graffitti, it's not about a lame attempt at its inspiration. It's about the attitude those words convey. It is not the first time such an attitude has been seen. Not hardly. It is the first time I have ever seen someone come right out and own it, be proud of it even.
    Then you don't like their politics/philosophy? I see all sorts of weird and even hateful beliefs that people brag about every day. This one is harmless, and hurts no one. In the scheme of things it doesn't impact my life a single bit if one person is a bit full of themselves.

Journal Entries

Words of a fool

But what else would you expect to find from someone that writes on walls?
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-01-2018 at 00:16.

It's not a generational thing. Lots of folks walking around thinking they are "special". Entitlement.

Images

It's not a six month vacation, it's an Epic Journey and we should celebrate, worship, and write songs about the participants.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

I try not to let 1 persons actions justify segregating a whole group of people from my acceptance. - But with that, the fact that no one really cares if they are accepted by me helps my try to take each individual as they come. I am a quick judge when it comes to character and personality. I have met some really cool hikers, and some really arrogant ones too - ie Thru, section, day...Thru hiking isn't a plague of bad or young or distasteful individuals. What I have actually seen the most of is a large percentage of folks, mostly younger but not all, who have very little actual backpacking experience setting out on this 2200 mile vacation. They typically are still humble here in the southern part of the trail because they are still scared, maybe that changes further north.

If the trail only consisted of folks like myself, it would be a boring world out there. It takes a village. When it comes to writings on the shelters and privies I get entertainment out of reading the stuff, but when it continues on to the signs and trees I get mad. Graffiti in towns is terrible, puts a bad taste in business owners and community, and will only cause those folks to lesson their friendliness to hikers. r

Shame on Twigs 15' for choosing to graffiti, may you forever get a hole in your pad.
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    Perhaps you just didn't get it. Perhaps the quote in whole was profoundly meaningful. Perhaps, it wasn't meant for you and the individual for whom it was meant would find it moving.

Lame or inspirational will be for each reader to judge for theirself.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

You could have saved youself a lot mental energy if you had simply crossed our “revered,” replaced it “rewashed,” and called it a day.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

What i really hate is when they carve on trees. Now, that is repugnant.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Words of a fool

But what else would you expect to find from someone that writes on walls?
    Hey now, I've gleaned all kinds of wisdom from bathroom walls.

Gives a whole new sense of meaning to that thinking emoji . . .
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Revered is what others may say about you, not a moniker you take for yourself...silly som b’

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It's not a six month vacation, it's an Epic Journey and we should celebrate, worship, and write songs about the participants.
    this a joke, right?

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    Well said Frodo.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Between this and the AT trail thread somebody really has an axe to grind with thrus. I met a homeless guy on disability who was always high hiking the AT. That doesn’t mean the majority of thru hikers are like one idiot.

I sure as hell wouldn’t give the bozo’s actions more attention. I’m guessing he’d brag about it as opposed to whatever you’re trying to do by listing his name. Let it go you’re only taking away from your own enjoyment

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You could have saved youself a lot mental energy if you had simply crossed our “revered,” replaced it “rewashed,” and called it a day.
    If only a sharpie were in my pack

Could it be that the wording, "Remember, we are something to be revered." was referring to the intrinsic value that we all have as human beings? Even if there were indications that it was written by a thru-hiker, maybe the author's intent was not limited to that small audience.

As far as defacing someone else's property with graffiti, I also believe that Twigs '15 was wrong to do that. There may have been good sentiment and possibly even wisdom meant for everyone, but being presented in the wrong medium taints it.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Perhaps you just didn't get it. Perhaps the quote in whole was profoundly meaningful. Perhaps, it wasn't meant for you and the individual for whom it was meant would find it moving.

Lame or inspirational will be for each reader to judge for theirself.
    That I am sure a great many thrus have in fact found it inspirational is exactly the problem.

I think you don't get it.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++