WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

The guy (or gal) is a common vandal. What he writes is irrelevant to me.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    In your myopathy you failed to see that I came to the exact same conclusion. Soft in the head, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.
    So you are saying that nsherry61 is not above average then?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by trailmercury View Post
    So you are saying that nsherry61 is not above average then?
    Wad u talkin , I love nsherry61, stop your trash talk.

We are all Children of God, we all came to the same conclusion. Really what are you smoking and can we get some.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lonehiker View Post
    The guy (or gal) is a common vandal. What he writes is irrelevant to me.
    Not saying tagging is the way to go, but am putting forth a hypothetical, if what he wrote changed your life, gave you purpose like you never have known, even if it is to get rid of all tagging, is what he wrote irrelevant?

I've never had an epiphany reading anything on toilet stalls.
    Lonehiker (MRT '22)

Taken out of context it rings of pure hubris.

As a parent, I'd be FAR more impressed with "Got my own apartment, just earned my first paycheck. Now totally self-sufficient."

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    . . . As a parent, I'd be FAR more impressed with "Got my own apartment, just earned my first paycheck. Now totally self-sufficient."
    Oh how I wish that were not such a poignant and meaningful statement for me right now!

That being said, coincidently, the kid I do not need to hear that from is currently in California hiking north to complete the PCT instead of going to grad school this year. Go figure.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Default "Remember, we are something to be revered."

I believe that graffiti can be art but it is temporary and subjective. if you don't like it, write over it or add to it. the original writer likely will never know.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    I believe that graffiti can be art but it is temporary and subjective. if you don't like it, write over it or add to it. the original writer likely will never know.
    Banksy — 'Art should comfort the disturbed and disturb the comfortable.'

Twig seems to have met that standard.

Quote Originally Posted by bigcranky View Post
    It's not a six month vacation, it's an Epic Journey and we should celebrate, worship, and write songs about the participants.
    I'm more inclined to epic poetry than songs. More apropos for an Epic Journey, IMHO.

Is that OK?

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Oh how I wish that were not such a poignant and meaningful statement for me right now!

That being said, coincidently, the kid I do not need to hear that from is currently in California hiking north to complete the PCT instead of going to grad school this year. Go figure.
    Mine finished grad school last October and is hiking the AT.

Maybe they can be roommates?

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    . . . It was intended to be inspirational. You know, "we all have bad days" don't get down etc. . . . .
    I finally understand why a few people around here openly express why they want nothing to do with present day thru hikers. I'm not sure I do anymore either.
    tdoczi, I like you and I have learned a lot from many of your posts but I'm going to disagree with your post here. You are taking one sentence of one person's writing that you didn't like (even though you admit the entire writing was intended to be inspirational) and negatively generalizing a whole group of people. There are thru-hikers that are awesome and I'm sure there are some that are entitled and less awesome. It reminds me of a short parable:

A man who was traveling came upon a farmer working in his field and asked him what the people in the next village were like. The farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The man responded "They were kind, friendly, generous, great people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.Another man who was traveling to the same village came up to the same farmer somewhat later and asked him what the people in the next village were like. Again the farmer asked "What were the people like in the last village you visited?" The second man responded, "They were rude, unfriendly, dishonest people." "You'll find the people in the next village are the same," said the farmer.

The point is the farmer wasn't lying either time. I recommend looking for the good instead of the bad in groups of people, especially ones who share your love of hiking.

Now the fact that it was graffiti - assuming it was against the rules of the establishment - I'm against that and I think we agree about that. I don't think that was your main point though.

If you want us to judge this one writing on the laundry room wall then I agree with others who have said we would need the whole thing at the very least to be fair to Twigs '15.
    AT Flip Flop (HF to ME, HF to GA) Thru Hike 2023; LT End-to-Ender 2017; NH 48/48 2015-2021; 21 of 159usForests.com

It would seem once again people are struggling with their own identity...just own it dude!

There have indeed been many messages scribed on cave walls, subway posters, and an assortment of other surfaces that can be painted, chalked, penciled, scratched, or chipped over the centuries. To celebrate the creativity of man and inappropriate behavior of some people's kids, a quick look at other prominent Laundry Room Philosophers who scrawl their impressive thinking on walls include:

Jacob Pennywhistle - "Here drowns the lice I so despise, the suds I summon ends their lives"
    Rosemary Talcitch - "A dollar for a load of wash? This is robbery and refuse to pay, preferring to stink."
    Phyllis O'Brien - "My dog's smarter than your dog, and your brother"
    Mike Fareeni - "Lost my underwear at Clay Notch, please let me know when you find it at ForgetfulFareeni.com"
    Nathan - "Why is it illegal to not wear clothes being washed when small children are around?"

I wonder how long people would believe these messages reflect deep thought and wisdom if they were spray painted on the walls of their house or scratched into the side of their cars instead of on someone else property.
    Last edited by Traveler; 06-02-2018 at 07:15.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Hey now, I've gleaned all kinds of wisdom from bathroom walls. . .
    Quote Originally Posted by Traveler View Post
    Jacob Pennywhistle - "Here drowns the lice I so despise, the suds I summon ends their lives"
    Rosemary Talcitch - "A dollar for a load of wash? This is robbery and refuse to pay, preferring to stink."
    Phyllis O'Brien - "My dog's smarter than your dog, and your brother"
    Mike Fareeni - "Lost my underwear at Clay Notch, please let me know when you find it at ForgetfulFareeni.com"
    Nathan - "Why is it illegal to not wear clothes being washed when small children are around?"
    I think we need a thread of inspirational graffiti quotes! Those are a few great ones Traveler. Thanks.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

"The words of the prophets are written on the subway walls and tenement halls."
    Paul Simon/Art Garfunkel

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    ..........However, I was in Walmart recently and am pretty sure that not everybody is above average..........
    Where do the above average folks shop? Target?
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

-

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    You could have saved youself a lot mental energy if you had simply crossed our “revered,” replaced it “rewashed,” and called it a day.
    how about "re- wiped"

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Where do the above average folks shop? Target?
    Insert your favorite store.

I used to walk through Barneys on Madison Ave (my wife worked there) and I'm thoroughly convinced I was below average. I don't think I'll be hobnobbing with the Seinfelds or the Springsteens or the Von Furstenbergs anytime soon.

My quibble is with the notion that "everybody is above average" ..... the "Gold Stars all 'round" mindset.

As I keep saying at work: "half the population is below average intelligence"

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++