WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by jackwagon View Post
    Could it be that the wording, "Remember, we are something to be revered." was referring to the intrinsic value that we all have as human beings? Even if there were indications that it was written by a thru-hiker, maybe the author's intent was not limited to that small audience.

As far as defacing someone else's property with graffiti, I also believe that Twigs '15 was wrong to do that. There may have been good sentiment and possibly even wisdom meant for everyone, but being presented in the wrong medium taints it.
    There certainly are many ways of reading it, and perhaps he chose his words poorly. Had it said "this is something to be revered" then that is potentially saying something entirely different and more benign. But that's not what he said.

I get your overall point, but your chosen way of reading it I think is overly generous to put it mildly.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    I try not to let 1 persons actions justify segregating a whole group of people from my acceptance. - But with that, the fact that no one really cares if they are accepted by me helps my try to take each individual as they come. I am a quick judge when it comes to character and personality. I have met some really cool hikers, and some really arrogant ones too - ie Thru, section, day...Thru hiking isn't a plague of bad or young or distasteful individuals. What I have actually seen the most of is a large percentage of folks, mostly younger but not all, who have very little actual backpacking experience setting out on this 2200 mile vacation. They typically are still humble here in the southern part of the trail because they are still scared, maybe that changes further north.
    I'm in virginia. The southern half.that's the funniest part. I wonder if twigs even finished. I guess just trying earns you reverance.

This isn't about it being wrong to graffiti things up. It is wrong, of coyrse, but that's hardly the point.

Journal Entries

1: We are ALL meant to be revered, as we are all children of God. And God has created great things for us to experience. The ones who are experiencing those things are the ones acting as children of God. So yes it is actually true. It is also I believe the basis of trail magic, it is a act of worship to treat the children of God correctly and honor them. In this it is above common law, as it is a law of God. It is something that springs from the heart.

2: Everyone will make such a journey. Not all will do the AT, not all will do a physical journey, but all have a journey to make, one of self discovery, the journey can be mental, physical, emotional and/or spiritual. It is not limited to the AT thru hikers, or hikers, I would say it is not even limited to humanity.

3: The choice of tagging it. I can understand it, even cavemen did it. Moments of inspiration hit people are places for a reason. With that said it seems to be becoming too much of a mission, instead of a moment, in which case everything gets lost in the noise and the message is lost, and all that can be seen in the negative.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    1: We are ALL meant to be revered, as we are all children of God. And God has created great things for us to experience. The ones who are experiencing those things are the ones acting as children of God. So yes it is actually true. It is also I believe the basis of trail magic, it is a act of worship to treat the children of God correctly and honor them. In this it is above common law, as it is a law of God. It is something that springs from the heart.

2: Everyone will make such a journey. Not all will do the AT, not all will do a physical journey, but all have a journey to make, one of self discovery, the journey can be mental, physical, emotional and/or spiritual. It is not limited to the AT thru hikers, or hikers, I would say it is not even limited to humanity.

3: The choice of tagging it. I can understand it, even cavemen did it. Moments of inspiration hit people are places for a reason. With that said it seems to be becoming too much of a mission, instead of a moment, in which case everything gets lost in the noise and the message is lost, and all that can be seen in the negative.
    I get what you're saying, but can all of us actually revere everyone around us?

Seems sort of like thinking that we are all above average.

I think revere involves singling something or someone out for special consideration. You can't give special consideration to everyone on the planet. It isn't special if you do.

Images

Let's try to look at it another way. "We are something to be revered". Maybe it was an implication that we, or you, or whomever is reading it, should live up to that word. That we SHOULD do things that draw admiration and inspire others to challenge themselves and have appositive impact on the world around us. And people DO respect those who thru hike. I doubt anyone has finished the trail and had someone think less of them for it. So with that, maybe he meant for us all to live up to that and not carve on trees, or leave trash in fire pits, or trash towns as we go through, or judge those who aren't doing a thru hike.

I'm just working with the one line and I like to play devils advocate. Just a thought

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    I get what you're saying, but can all of us actually revere everyone around us?
    I believe yes, it is the basis as I understand it for the greetings 'Namaste' (the God in my greets the God in you). It does not mean everyone is acting in that capacity, but has such potential.

It is also the reason to worship God, for by doing so one is also worshiping and glorifying oneself. It is the reason for worship, we all deserve it.

Seems sort of like thinking that we are all above average.
    In this there are 2 viewpoints, we are all human, and we are all Children of god. In that yes we are all Children of God, so yes all above average (compared to humans, or if you will, God being God and all can do this 'magically' for everyone - either way it works)
    I think revere involves singling something or someone out for special consideration. You can't give special consideration to everyone on the planet. It isn't special if you do.
    That's why I mentioned who trail magic happens. Once someone is exhibiting those characteristics the natural tendency is to worship them, thus trail magic goes to them. But ultimately it is realization that we are all worthy of what is basically all and all just human kindness. Something as humans we all want and need.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by randall_mcduberson View Post
    Let's try to look at it another way. "We are something to be revered". Maybe it was an implication that we, or you, or whomever is reading it, should live up to that word. That we SHOULD do things that draw admiration and inspire others to challenge themselves and have appositive impact on the world around us. And people DO respect those who thru hike. I doubt anyone has finished the trail and had someone think less of them for it. So with that, maybe he meant for us all to live up to that and not carve on trees, or leave trash in fire pits, or trash towns as we go through, or judge those who aren't doing a thru hike.

I'm just working with the one line and I like to play devils advocate. Just a thought
    I get what you're doing, sure, maybe.

Except.... Revered for taking a strange 6 month vacation?

Everyone would do well to refresh themselves in the history and etymology of the word before taking a swing.

The best defense one could make might just be that you can't expect someone who writes graffiti to know what revered means.

Half empty, half full. It's in the eye of the beholder.

Images

I believe yes, it is the basis as I understand it for the greetings 'Namaste' (the God in my greets the God in you). It does not mean everyone is acting in that capacity, but has such potential.

It is also the reason to worship God, for by doing so one is also worshiping and glorifying oneself. It is the reason for worship, we all deserve it.

In this there are 2 viewpoints, we are all human, and we are all Children of god. In that yes we are all Children of God, so yes all above average (compared to humans, or if you will, God being God and all can do this 'magically' for everyone - either way it works)

That's why I mentioned who trail magic happens. Once someone is exhibiting those characteristics the natural tendency is to worship them, thus trail magic goes to them. But ultimately it is realization that we are all worthy of what is basically all and all just human kindness. Something as humans we all want and need.
    I can not discuss anything with someone who seriously just said "yes we are all above average."

you're one of those people who doesn't like that words actually mean something, aren't you?

I'm pretty sure this is a quotation of Odie's speech to thruhikers. I was at Trail Days in 2017, and watched him energize the crowd with claims that they are the new royalty, etc. My personal feeling is that this sort of propaganda in the wrong minds will feed a sense of entitlement rather than simply inspire as I'm sure was the original intent. I choose to believe the writer of this graffiti was in fact inspired, and regardless of how inappropriate this action, meant to pass along that feeling to others.

I hope the next big inspirational speech focuses more on the personal and social responsibility of these folk fortunate enough to "pursue the dream".
    "Maybe life isn't about avoiding the bruises. Maybe it's about collecting the scars to prove we showed up for it."

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Teacher & Snacktime View Post
    I'm pretty sure this is a quotation of Odie's speech to thruhikers. I was at Trail Days in 2017, and watched him energize the crowd with claims that they are the new royalty, etc. My personal feeling is that this sort of propaganda in the wrong minds will feed a sense of entitlement rather than simply inspire as I'm sure was the original intent. I choose to believe the writer of this graffiti was in fact inspired, and regardless of how inappropriate this action, meant to pass along that feeling to others.

I hope the next big inspirational speech focuses more on the personal and social responsibility of these folk fortunate enough to "pursue the dream".
    Perhaps it is assuming too much to think "Twigs 15" wrote it in 2015

Is he interested to hear it read the speech you reference in any case.

Journal Entries

I can not discuss anything with someone who seriously just said "yes we are all above average."

you're one of those people who doesn't like that words actually mean something, aren't you?
    You didn't appear to take my statement in context, (so you didn't demonstrate that you take that words mean things), I mentioned in context 'children of God', and made a direct contrast to human (existence), please add the Biblical quote "with God everything is possible", so yes as children of God yes it is possible.

Just to add my saying we are all Children of God is literal, not figurative.
    It is a paradox, everyone is extraordinary , but and because with God everything is possible.

Journal Entries

Also logically it is certainly possible that everyone is above average if you consider that it may be per attribute or task.

Lake Woebegone lives.

It's not about graffitti....
    If it not about the graffitti...stop whining.

If your complaint is not about vandalism, the whole thread somewhat pointless. What make you arbiter of good poetry, prose or philosophy? Some might say it is repugnant that some one else attempts to dictate what is or is not inspirational.

Furthermore, if you post 2 lines out of context of a much longer text, then ask what others think? I think you need to go back, collect the entire text of the graffitti so that we can develop an informed opinion.

One hiker wrote something, that you didn't agree with. Something maybe a bit goofy, a bit self centered, a bit vague. I find it disturbing that you're outraged about that. Did Twig kick your puppy? Do you know Twig personally, do you know what he or she went through in life that brought them to a laundromat along the AT? What he/she might have overcome? What their story is? Did it ruin your hike? Did you find it insulting to a protected class of people? Did it send you scrambling to defend yourself from these impure thoughts? Do you find it insulting to your sky wizard?

Why don't you come out and tell us specifically why it's a problem to you, that someone else likes something that you don't like? I'm honestly baffled. Agree or disagree with their philosophy, I just can't see why you felt it was necessary to crush them on the internet for having an opinion, or why their opinion is any of your business. I'm failing to see how this Twig has harmed anyone.

Also logically it is certainly possible that everyone is above average if you consider that it may be per attribute or task.
    If "everyone is above average" then all we have is a new average.

However, I was in Walmart recently and am pretty sure that not everybody is above average.

And we're all literally children of God? Alrighty then.

. . . Just to add my saying we are all Children of God is literal, not figurative.
    It is a paradox, everyone is extraordinary , but and because with God everything is possible.
    And this sort of thinking is one of the reasons I am sad to say, but I do say, I truly believe that to be deeply religious, in the sence presented by these statements, one must be rather soft in the head.

As to the OP, there are lots of better and more appropriate places to share inspiration in ways that will provide less ambiguous and less damaging communication, like shelter logs, for instance. And yeah, there is myopic arrogance inferred in the grafiti and that is certainly something that I hope is not ubiquitous on the trail. If it is, it's one more reason to hike elsewhere.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    And this sort of thinking is one of the reasons I am sad to say, but I do say, I truly believe that to be deeply religious, in the sence presented by these statements, one must be rather soft in the head.

As to the OP, there are lots of better and more appropriate places to share inspiration in ways that will provide less ambiguous and less damaging communication, like shelter logs, for instance. And yeah, there is myopic arrogance inferred in the grafiti and that is certainly something that I hope is not ubiquitous on the trail. If it is, it's one more reason to hike elsewhere.
    In your myopathy you failed to see that I came to the exact same conclusion. Soft in the head, pot meet kettle, kettle meet pot.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++