WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast

Default Harvey Lewis - 2018 AT Supported FKT Attempt

Harvey Lewis, accomplished ultra marathon runner, set off today on his attempt to break the record for the fastest AT completion. Based on his Facebook athlete page he departed on May 30 from Springer Mountain. He has a tracking site through a sponsor, RoadID.

Harvey Lewis' Facebook Page

Where's Harvey RoadID Tracking Page

Harvey lives and trains in Cincinnati, Ohio and is known for his frequent racing and streak running. His biggest accomplishments include winning the infamous BAdwater 135 twice.

This should be interesting to follow - what does everyone think?

Good luck. Many have tried, most have failed in short order.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Images

If he's "supported" or "sponsored" and marketed (advertisement) by a for-profit corporation for racing on the AT, does that make it a commercial venture? If so, does he have to have a special permit to use this National Park for profit?

I don't know the rules about such things.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Don't know much about these speed hikes but this is a "supported" attempt, correct? Here are my questions. Since the AT is longer this year by at least a mile will the first speed hiker to finish the trail, regardless of time, hold the new record for the new distance of the AT? Can it be called a "world" record when you can't do it anywhere in the world but the AT?

Not really my bag, but good luck to him. Hike your own...run?

Seems like a good guy. Pretty cool that his dad gets to be involved.
    Amazing athletes that can do something like this.
    Good luck to you Harvey!

Going to have to follow his progress whenever I get a chance on the RoadID site.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Rain Man View Post
    If he's "supported" or "sponsored" and marketed (advertisement) by a for-profit corporation for racing on the AT, does that make it a commercial venture? If so, does he have to have a special permit to use this National Park for profit?

I don't know the rules about such things.
    He is not racing on the Appalachian Trail.

Quote Originally Posted by OwenRunning View Post
    He is not racing on the Appalachian Trail.
    Now that would be interesting. Have two people start at the same time and race towards the summit! Maybe we can have teams
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Hope he gets some good sleep.
    I just checked his RoadID and it looks like he is well on his way with 53.1 miles done on his first day.
    He should be done with Georgia around noon on day 2.

Again...amazing athlete!!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    Now that would be interesting. Have two people start at the same time and race towards the summit! Maybe we can have teams
    Oh please no!
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

On behalf of all trail runners, please know that none of us want there to be a “race” on the Appalachian Trail. I feel like we go through his every time there is an FKT attempt and that some hikers on this forum perpetualize this notion of racing even though no one wants it to happen.

No commercial events allowed in Baxter. He'll have to stop at the Abol Stream footbridge.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Ounces are the little-death

On behalf of all trail runners, please know that none of us want there to be a “race” on the Appalachian Trail. I feel like we go through his every time there is an FKT attempt and that some hikers on this forum perpetualize this notion of racing even though no one wants it to happen.
    I'd do a race.

It's 'vapors season', doncha know? Time for people to declare their thru was ruined by some guy running past them in SNP.

Road ID is showing him almost at the NC border. So like 76 miles in a day and a half?

This seems to be a yearly thing now (3 straight years) of people breaking the AT FKT. I was tuned in daily for the Jurek attempt but haven’t been on the forum over the past two years with Meltzer and Stringbean but thought I’d hop on here since I know Harvey personally, though only briefly spoke with him about his AT attempt.

What was the overall tone of WhiteBlazes opinions about Meltzer vs Stringbean over the past two years?

About the same.

I'm a bit surprised anyone is doing it this year after Stringbean crushed it unsupported.

It appears Harvey has ended day #2 at Standing Indian Campground, the same location Scott Jurek ended his day 2 in 2015.

Leonidas

This seems to be a yearly thing now (3 straight years) of people breaking the AT FKT. I was tuned in daily for the Jurek attempt but haven’t been on the forum over the past two years with Meltzer and Stringbean but thought I’d hop on here since I know Harvey personally, though only briefly spoke with him about his AT attempt.

What was the overall tone of WhiteBlazes opinions about Meltzer vs Stringbean over the past two years?
    Mixed just like you have seen so far. People who forget that this part of the forum is specifically to discuss speed and record attempts who fuss about racing and not seeing things on trail. Then you have a group who sit back and watch with snack of choice, hoping that the person either succeeds or at least gets to put in a good attempt and not crash in a blaze of bad luck.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Mixed just like you have seen so far. People who forget that this part of the forum is specifically to discuss speed and record attempts who fuss about racing and not seeing things on trail. Then you have a group who sit back and watch with snack of choice, hoping that the person either succeeds or at least gets to put in a good attempt and not crash in a blaze of bad luck.
    Yes, the "you're enjoying the outdoors incorrectly!" people.

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 11 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++