WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Yes, the "you're enjoying the outdoors incorrectly!" people.
    Well said, I suspect that nearly everyone IS NOT enjoying the outdoor correctly as they type replies to these threads.

Actually, I suspect there are a few that are replying while sitting outside. I wonder how many?
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Yes, the "you're enjoying the outdoors incorrectly!" people.
    That's beautiful! The best phrase I've ever seen on WhiteBlaze!
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

Harvey is north of Franklin, NC. I really hope he does well. I am always amazed when I think of what he is doing...and has to do every day until he reaches Katahdin.
    Stumpknocker
    Appalachian Trail is 35.9% complete.

I did not coin it, but I think it is the most succinct description ever.

FKT attempts are always an unknown for a runner. As accomplished and “gutsy” someone might be there will be a moment that they are tested more than they ever have been, unless they’ve done this before of course.

Harvey is doing well through 2.5 days but there are still 6 more weeks of this. I’m excited to follow, and the longer he is “on track” the more exciting it will be. We will be able to start comparing to past attempts and so forth.

Where are the data excel experts? Hope you are on hold to break out the comparison charts, though now it’s too early to tell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2 days of over 50 mpd.
    And now a 34.
    Maybe he resupplied ?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    2 days of over 50 mpd.
    And now a 34.
    Maybe he resupplied ?
    Where do you see this? The day is still young. There should be no need to resupply.

He seems to have stalled around NOC (Wesser)
    I get it from here: https://www.roadid.com/pages/wheresharvey
    Looks like first 2 days of over 50, next 2 days of 30 or less.
    If the tracking is accurate, I'd have to say this attempt may be over already.

He seems to have stalled around NOC (Wesser)
    I get it from here: https://www.roadid.com/pages/wheresharvey
    Looks like first 2 days of over 50, next 2 days of 30 or less.
    If the tracking is accurate, I'd have to say this attempt may be over already.
    He has only done 3 days.

Oh sorry.
    I thought he did 4.
    First 2: over 50 per day.
    THen it said 137 after 3 and then I thought it was 167 after 4.
    I'm watching from Asia and our day is over already here.
    If he's at 167 after only 3, then he's doing great.

Oh sorry.
    I thought he did 4.
    First 2: over 50 per day.
    THen it said 137 after 3 and then I thought it was 167 after 4.
    I'm watching from Asia and our day is over already here.
    If he's at 167 after only 3, then he's doing great.
    At the end of day three he was 149.6 miles in based on his tracker. I think he stopped at Fontana Dam. According to my data book from when I “tracked” Jurek in 2015 he was 156 miles in after day three big in unsure that’s accurate because I don’t remember Jurek sleeping on the trail at this point. At 10am local Harvey looks to be 16 miles in already (Saturday 6/2, day 4)

Quote Originally Posted by TJ aka Teej View Post
    No commercial events allowed in Baxter. He'll have to stop at the Abol Stream footbridge.
    that is silly

Lets just hope harvey lewis learned what to do and what not to do from the damage done to the hiking community in Baxter by Jurek(and others)...if we hope to keep Baxter Park Authority from imposing even more restrictions on long distance hikers. It would really suck for long distance hikers if they lost their current special permits and had to follow the same rules for access to the park as everybody else.

It's early so who knows where this one will go. Either way, if he's won Badwater twice then he knows what it's like to suffer and push through it. That can only help.

Ounces are the little-death

OwenRunning = Michael?

It's kinda funny now how you can't say "He's not even on selfsupported pace." when talking about supported runs.

-

Quote Originally Posted by D2maine View Post
    that is silly

Lets just hope harvey lewis learned what to do and what not to do from the damage done to the hiking community in Baxter by Jurek(and others)...if we hope to keep Baxter Park Authority from imposing even more restrictions on long distance hikers. It would really suck for long distance hikers if they lost their current special permits and had to follow the same rules for access to the park as everybody else.
    not silly, it is pushback for irresponsible sponsors such as should be blamed for the Jurek BS - they are what makes it "commercial" - no problem IMO if the rules are enforced / they are excluded

without repercussions there is no reason for sponsors to follow the rules - is a 500$ fine for cliff bars a meaningful deterrent? not at all - is stopping a sponsored runner from entering the park a deterrent so the stunt that they sponsored can not be completed? - certainly

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    not silly, it is pushback for irresponsible sponsors such as should be blamed for the Jurek BS - they are what makes it "commercial" - no problem IMO if the rules are enforced / they are excluded

without repercussions there is no reason for sponsors to follow the rules - is a 500$ fine for cliff bars a meaningful deterrent? not at all - is stopping a sponsored runner from entering the park a deterrent so the stunt that they sponsored can not be completed? - certainly
    I don’t think many others will have quite the fanfare as Jurek. Jurek was a global icon in the sport prior to his attempt to he had quite the following.

-

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    People who forget that this part of the forum is specifically to discuss speed and record attempts who fuss about racing and not seeing things on trail. .
    "discussion" involves pros and cons - sounds like you feel opinions that you do not agree with should be excluded

Ounces are the little-death

Going somewhere where people congregate over a specific subject just to tell them you don't like what they're talking about isn't constructive. You can nitpick the semantics of a "discussion" but anyone who pointlessly instigates is not contributing to anything meaningful.
    When he says it's mixed reviews, he's referring to the type of people who go to a running forum and say they don't like people running.

Well if he makes it as far as Abol he'll be a "day hiker," and if there isn't a 20-person greeting committee with champagne and a TV crew helicoptered in for the event, I'm guessing things will go fine.

Images

It's 'vapors season', doncha know? Time for people to declare their thru was ruined by some guy running past them in SNP.
    Yeah, running at a blazing 4mph. The wind almost knocked me down.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 12 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++