WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Bugs!

OP,
    In between Abol Bridge and Hurd Brook can be nasty. Shady and swampy. Do not stay at Hurd Brook. Camp at Abol and blow through Hurd the next morning. Rainbow Lake campsite or Rainbow stream is good and light on the bugs. Faster moving water and larger bodies of water seem to not hold the bugs. Smaller bodies, swamps and brooks seem to hold the bugs. My hammock has a built in net so I don't worry about bugs at night. As you work south stay out of the high grass and weeds, don't sleep in fields etc. so to avoid the ticks. Out of all ticks should worry you the most. No poisonous snakes or spiders in Maine or NH. The Wolf Spiders do get big though. Had one repelling from my beard one morning and it scared the heck out of a NOBO.

I use lemongrass soap and oils along with an essential oil mix my wife makes. I also take vitamin b complex but have not done the apple cider pills yet. A dab or two on the neck and arms and I am good. Deer flies are the worse of all the bugs. They go after the back of the neck and hands. I clap my hands above my head when I am being harassed by a deer fly and usually kill it in a couple claps. I personally do not treat my gear or clothing with chemicals and never have. I grew up on the AT in PA and ticks have always been bad and still wont use chemicals. I really don't care what the chemical is I just refuse. Use chemicals if you want but I and many others have great success with a more natural approach.
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Concerning the 100% deet. I hate the feel of it too, and agree it doesn’t seem more effective then the 30-40% stuff. I also have heard that the cumulative effects from using it many days over a large portion of skin can be toxic.

I used up my remaining 100% stuff by mixing it with water (about 1/5 ratio) in an old mini hair spray pump 2 oz bottle. (Pantene flex hold brand) This works well and would be weight efficient for a distance hiker.

Around the the house and day hikes I have tried a catnip tea, liberally applied. This stops most mosquitoes, haven’t tried with black fly season, slows midges, no effect on fire ants, not sure about ticks-probably not, doesn’t draw bees or wasps. It smells nice, like a mild herbal tea, I doubt it’s toxic, at least I don’t get any symptoms. Cats like me.

Catnip tea- heat 1-2 cups water in microwave. Add dried catnip about 1/4 cup, from Walmart. Let seep 1 hr. Drain through coffee filter. Apply to skin with mister or just pat it over skin. Store remainder in fridge. Should keep 1 week. I’m sure Dogwood can tweek this recipe.

Last time i hiked with a head net i was extremely claustrophobic. Kind of a water boarding effect.

I have heard similar tales of toxicity to cancer dangers about DEET, however there isn't anything I have read about it in legitimate studies that agree with these anecdotal tales. I typically use 100% DEET as a go-to repellant, especially on my legs when hiking in shorts to keep ticks at bay, which seems to work well when compared to other products my hiking buddy has tried. It works exceptionally well on most other biting insects including deer and horse fly. In some areas I have been, it was the only product that worked when the swarms came. The only issue I have seen with this, or any repellants, is its effect on technical fabrics used in rain gear.

As a thought on catnip based repellant, having had a few cats along the way, putting catnip out for them drew them out immediately regardless what they were doing. I am curious how bobcat or panthers react to catnip in their environment.

I've never been to Maine, but I'm betting its a lot like Wisconsin as far as bugs go.

I have found soaking clothes, hat, tarps or tent fly in 5% Permetherin will keep almost all bugs away from you. They just stop landing. Any mosquitos or black flies that try to land on uncovered skin are easily handled by a 30% Deet lotion.

Instructions for Permetherin soak at https://sectionhiker.com/permethrin-soak-method-guide/
    I use 3M Ultrathon 34% DEET. I believe its military issue for jungle environments.

Mosquitos are becoming more annoying then Black flies - just back from 3 days in the Mahoosuc's.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++