WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Images

Default AT data and elevation profiles app

I built this app that allows hikers to generate their own custom mileage tables and elevation profiles for any section of the AT (NOBO or SOBO).

https://bentwells.shinyapps.io/atdata/

It's not nearly as fancy as Guthooks, but it's free. The data are based on the 2018 edition of WhiteBlaze pages. I worked with the author, Rick, to make sure everything is accurate as possible.

It doesn't have any town/service info, so it's not meant to replace the guide book - but you can export the mileage tables and elevation profiles to a PDF and print it to save weight.

Disclaimer: I am currently using a free service to host the app. The free service limits each app to 25 hours of user time per month. After that it gets shut down for the rest of the month. I would have to use their paid service to get more user time. So if you like this app, please consider donating so more people can use it.
    It's all good in the woods.

I like it! I re-created a week-long section hike I did last year and the sawtooth profile brought back many memories of the challenging climbs and decents. I will use this again as I plan the next outing.

Sweet!! Any way to add the AT mile marks at each waypoint with Springer being -0- ?

Images

I missed this thread when it was first posted. I also really like the app.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

Glad to hear people are using and enjoying the app.

There's a button labeled "Start from North/South End" that will display the official AT mileage on the bottom of the charts instead of starting from 0.

FYI, I recently received an email from the hosting service informing me that the 25-hour limit had been reached for this month, and the app will be unavailable from Fri Jul 20 through the end of the month.

That's a handy little tool, thanks for making it available.

Very slick...thanks.

Images

Oh, wow, exactly what I needed! You can copy sections and paste it into a spreadsheet, too!

Man this app is very cool! I have been playing around with it for about a week, have used it to log my 2 week trip coming up in a month, to compare it to past trip elevation changes and I really like it. Outstanding job.

I did notice it was unavailable today and I hope it isn't gone forever
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Images

Thanks - glad you like it! It's not gone forever - should be back online sometime next week.

Problem is I don't have my own server so I used a free service to host it online. The free service has usage limits which are pretty low, if you go over then they shut it off for the rest of the month.

For $100/year, they will raise the usage limit high enough that it shouldn't be an issue anymore. I'd never charge people to use it, but if you'd like to keep it running full time, please consider donating.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleRock View Post
    Thanks - glad you like it! It's not gone forever - should be back online sometime next week.

Problem is I don't have my own server so I used a free service to host it online. The free service has usage limits which are pretty low, if you go over then they shut it off for the rest of the month.

For $100/year, they will raise the usage limit high enough that it shouldn't be an issue anymore. I'd never charge people to use it, but if you'd like to keep it running full time, please consider donating.
    Donation sent thanks for a good service!
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I built this app that allows hikers to generate their own custom mileage tables and elevation profiles for any section of the AT (NOBO or SOBO).

https://bentwells.shinyapps.io/atdata/

It's not nearly as fancy as Guthooks, but it's free. The data are based on the 2018 edition of WhiteBlaze pages. I worked with the author, Rick, to make sure everything is accurate as possible.

It doesn't have any town/service info, so it's not meant to replace the guide book - but you can export the mileage tables and elevation profiles to a PDF and print it to save weight.

Disclaimer: I am currently using a free service to host the app. The free service limits each app to 25 hours of user time per month. After that it gets shut down for the rest of the month. I would have to use their paid service to get more user time. So if you like this app, please consider donating so more people can use it.
    I was able to check it out before it went "offline", great app and I can see where it would be very handy planning a section hike! Thanks for making it available!

Images

The app is back online as of this morning.

Images

The app is back online as of this morning.
    Cool App. What technology is it built on? Perhaps I can help find a place to host it that is cost effective and has no time restrictions (perhaps even free). PM me if you're interested. No guarantee I'll be able to help.

Images

Also, just noticed you live in Raleigh (I live in Garner). Greetings neighbor.

Great app. Thanks. Is there any way to compute the total ascent or descent between two points?
    I like the percent grade, etc. Thanks again.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by PGH1NC View Post
    Great app. Thanks. Is there any way to compute the total ascent or descent between two points?
    I like the percent grade, etc. Thanks again.
    Currently there's not any way to calculate total ascent or descent. I've toyed with the idea of creating a "daily trip planner" tool which would include that type of info but haven't pursued it any further.

Anyway, we can practice our arithmetic skills. I printed off some sections for some hiking friends.
    Again, thanks for the ap.

Images

very cool, been looking for something like this for a while!
    Doin' the trail one section at a time
    You can read about my adventures at
    http://happyonthetrails.wordpress.com/

This is really cool, thank you for putting it together!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++