WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking in Portugal - presentation at next ALDHA Gathering

Last month, I celebrated my 70th birthday with 3 weeks in Portugal during which I did day hikes on the island of Madeira and an inn-to-inn hike on the Fishermen's Way along Portugal's southwest coast. Everything about the hiking was great! The views along the mainlandcoast were stunning. Madeira was awesome, both along the coast and inland which was a virtual rainforest.

I have signed up to do a presentation at this October's ALDHA Gathering in Shippensburg, PA. In addition to showcasing my hikes, I plan to research other hiking options in Portugal. I'm aware of the Portuguese Camino route (in fact, I met some friends of friends who were starting it) but I'm as of now unfamiliar with other trails) There are some national parks in the northeastern part of the country which undoubtedly feature hiking trails.

Spending only 3 weeks, not all of which were hiking, hardly makes me an expert! Accordingly, I'd welcome any feedback and participation from WBers who have hiked in Portugal and/or know are familiar with the hiking scene and are willing to share their experience. Thanks!

Journal Entries

I am planning to start the Portuguese Camino in less then a month, and have previously done the French Way across Spain. Very much looking forward to it, but at this time expect it to be similar to Spain, hopefully like the section from Santiago to Finestera (the optional 'extension' part that takes you past the end of the route to a new ending, the ocean).

Enjoy

Being a bit of a dickhead, I want to table the question of the Via Algarviana. It's a selfish thing because I go to the Algarve province of Portugal from time to time but I've never hiked it. It's about 200 miles, and it would be good to hike from about October to April, when the temps in Portugal are cool, and it's downright frozen in most of the United States. I hiked the Lycian Way in Turkey during March and it was a great way to ease into the hiking season. I'd love to do the Via Algarviana, and I'd love it if somebody else does it first and provides beta.

Sorry for being a dickhead.

Well, my ALDHA Gathering occurred - 1 year later! Some health problems in 2018 caused me to cancel out for that year's program so I simply bumped it up a year to Williamstown 2019.

This attached YouTube file covers the entire 3 week trip to Portugal but most of the pictures are from the Fisherman's Trail hike. The Madeira photos appear prior to the Fisherman's Trail. Enjoy!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7pP9a3GyaA

Images

I attended your presentation at this Fall's Gathering of ALDHA. Very good presentation. I enjoyed it immensely especially since I had just returned from Spain a few days prior and love the countries.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hillwalker View Post
    I attended your presentation at this Fall's Gathering of ALDHA. Very good presentation. I enjoyed it immensely especially since I had just returned from Spain a few days prior and love the countries.
    Much thanks! Dunno if I'll get to Spain - so many places to go, so little time!

Soo, did ya catch any fish and how was it hiking with Martha Stewart?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Soo, did ya catch any fish and how was it hiking with Martha Stewart?
    Well we ate a lot of fish! We contracted out the procurement i.e. catching of the fish.

Martha was a trooper

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I am planning to start the Portuguese Camino in less then a month, and have previously done the French Way across Spain. Very much looking forward to it, but at this time expect it to be similar to Spain, hopefully like the section from Santiago to Finestera (the optional 'extension' part that takes you past the end of the route to a new ending, the ocean).

Enjoy
    Adding to my post and answering my question. It's not the same as the Camino Fisterra - at least the part from Porto to Santiago, I can't speak of the section from Lisbon to Porto. The only section that was like the Camino Fisterra is the Espiritual Variente which I highly recommend but it's 3 days out of the entire trip. It is also unlike the Frances, but more like the Frances then the Fisterra section. The only similarity to the Fisterra is the climate.
    Last edited by Starchild; 12-01-2019 at 18:55.

++ New Posts ++