WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Campsite Etiquette

Took my kids backpacking this weekend. Super low mileage (half mile) meant early arrival at campsite Saturday night. two separate groups passed through and asked, “are you staying here tonight?” to which I responded in the affirmative as well as “but there’s plenty of room” suggesting we could share. They moved on. I felt bad. But not really. What would yall have done?

You did all that was expected really. If they moved on it was either A) too early for them to stop B) they wanted privacy as I do when I'm hiking C) saw your kids and worried that the kids might wake up earlier than they wanted to or D) was a rowdy or social group who were the type who wanted to stay up late, build a fire, hang out and not have to worry about disturbing you and the kids (in which case you should be glad they moved on). Your etiquette was fine regardless.

Just what you did. You offered to share. Short of leaving, which you had no reason to do, there's not much else you can do.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Took my kids backpacking this weekend. Super low mileage (half mile) meant early arrival at campsite Saturday night. two separate groups passed through and asked, “are you staying here tonight?” to which I responded in the affirmative as well as “but there’s plenty of room” suggesting we could share. They moved on. I felt bad. But not really. What would yall have done?
    Not worried about it or given it a second thought.

Sometimes you get great spots to yourself
    Sometimes you don't

If there's enough room for a bunch of people I don't even worry about it. I've crashed places that others were set up at first. Some like the company. Some dont. The truth is everyone's in bed at 8 p.m. and it really doesn't matter.

There are those who think that cuz they got to some place first nobody else can be within 100 yards of them. That doesn't fly always. Likewise are those who get to a shelter first and then actively discourage anybody else from staying there cuz they don't want their little group intruded upon...... They can go screw themselves.

If you don't want company..... Don't camp in popular spots.

I'll be cautious about doing that if it's only females. After chatting a while they will often extended invite. But after I've hiked 20-25 miles and I've come to the best place to stop for day...flat ground.... Water.....im probably going to stop.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2018 at 08:29.

Not enough info to make a judgement. Where were you camped? A half mile hike means you weren't far from a road or parking lot. Most people don't want to camp that close to a road or parking lot.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

In areas where dispersed camping is allowed and there are many camping options, I was under the impression that it was consideted good etiquette to not camp too close to another group. If this was the situation in the OP, then those who passed by may have been practicing what they perceived as proper camp ettiquette. On the other hand, if there are designated campsites that are by policy to be shared without reservation (eg AT shelters, SHT), then sharing should be expected.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Camp spots are first come first serve, so what you did was above and beyond in my opinion. If you staked a claim to a spot and offered to share, then that was mighty nice of you. I typically also do that.

On the flip side I have run into many individuals that will go out of their way to try and keep people from camping near them, which is laughable in highly used areas. My favorite incident was at a popular spot on the JMT when I hiked it back in 2013. There were several groups camped in the area, and my buddy and I rolled in and found a nice flat spot with some sticks strewn over it. After confirming that it was not a restoration area (there were no signs or anything) we started clearing it to use it. Suddenly this little middle aged lady shows up and starts talking about how weird it is that that we are setting up near her group's spot (we were still a good 20 - 30 yards from them). After almost getting into a scuffle with her I took the high road and told my buddy that we should just move. So we did, and not long after we moved we could see her putting all the sticks back and laying some of her stuff out to make the spot appear occupied. What a freaking tool...clearly she has not hiked in congested areas and/or does not understand that if she wants privacy she should have camped off the beaten path, and not in an area with obvious established camp sites.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Images

On the flip side I have run into many individuals that will go out of their way to try and keep people from camping near them

this is one reason that the GSMNP decided to change their reservation system.......

Journal Entries

Kids are people too and have as I see it more right to those campgrounds then adults (as I subscribe to the 'we don't inherent the land from our ancestors, but borrow it from our children' mime. If they don't like that they can move on.

You are doing more for society then those hikers are, you are inspiring the next generation of those who will care for it.

I would have felt sad they chose to move on, but more sad for humanity who once individuals grow up often dislike children.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    In areas where dispersed camping is allowed and there are many camping options, I was under the impression that it was consideted good etiquette to not camp too close to another group. If this was the situation in the OP, then those who passed by may have been practicing what they perceived as proper camp ettiquette. On the other hand, if there are designated campsites that are by policy to be shared without reservation (eg AT shelters, SHT), then sharing should be expected.
    I think that depends

If someone goes out if way to get off trail and find a secluded spot......sure. or if they are in a solo spot.

If they choose a well used large camping area for several tents.... right on a trail....not so much. Just myo. Minimizing impact by using established high use campsites is preferable if possible.

If you want to be alone.....at least make an effort. If theres well used/packed room for 10 tents.....its not exactly a private spot. Regardless of whos there first. Often trail intersections and staging areas for next day are such.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-29-2018 at 12:00.

Where I go backpacking in the Southeast the First Dibs rule applies, or should. The "should" is about Etiquitte, right? First dibs means if the campsite is occupied move on to the next. This policy applies to 95% of all the places I go---although some camping spots are vast and can accommodate many people and tents/hammocks---as a solo person with his shelter would never or could never claim the entire camp.

But most of the time when I find a spot it often has a solitary campfire ring and I claim that ring and that spot as my own for the day and night. I like my space and my privacy and others have to move on unless I invite them to stay. The biggest reason though is I don't want idiots coming in and taking over my spot and building a big bonfire and causing hot red embers to put pinholes in my $800 tent.

If I'm hiking a trail and I come to a campsite occupied by someone it would be rude to intrude and set up next to them. And remember, why horn in and crowd somebody when there's a million acres of forest around???

In our case Group #1 got a late start and was attempting to do the same thing we did but decided to mosy. They had the apparent energy to carry on. Group #2 looked sauced by the time they came through.. barely muttering where the next campsite was and whined something to the effect of “Nah were gonna keep going”. Was just curious because of the way it made me feel.

I agree that the OP did the right thing and I see where Tipi Walter is coming from. For me, it depends on usage. (Mostly I would prefer to have a campsite to myself, but will offer to share in most circumstances. See below.)

Here's a few scenarios:

During peak hiking season on the A.T. in a designated camping/shelter area: make room for others.

Stealth camp: you can claim the space for the night.

Off-season or a less traveled trail (BMT/CDT for example): there are plenty of other places to camp. Back off and let people be.

Solo hiker: maybe they're looking for company. Feel out the situation and be open to the potential to meet a hiking buddy!
    Springer to Katahdin: 1991-2018

Camping that close to a trail head, that late in the day, what did they expect? Better get used to crowds if that's their (or anyone else's) M.O.

IMO you did exactly the right thing... what else were you supposed to do?

That's one—and probably the major—reason I've been a longtime stealth camper, which is even easier since I started hanging... many places to string up a hammock where a tent won't go.

And you know, we were hammocking, and now you mention it the ground wasn’t flat.

Tenting folks should love hangers.

Images

I like my space and my privacy and others have to move on unless I invite them to stay. The biggest reason though is I don't want idiots coming in and taking over my spot and building a big bonfire and causing hot red embers to put pinholes in my $800 tent.

likewise..........

i also warn people that come and set up next to me and "my" fire ring, that i will be having a fire and i am not responsible if they set up their tent too close........

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Tenting folks should love hangers.
    Although in practice hammockers often set up at established level tent spots, usually because it's an open area and not full of briars and weeds and brush and blowdowns.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    And you know, we were hammocking, and now you mention it the ground wasn’t flat.
    It would still be helpful to know where you were. Was it an obvious, well used area just off the trail, an official designated camping area or was it raw woods? Were there people actively looking for a place to camp?

Only at official, designated campsites would there be any need make room and squeeze in as many tents or people as show up. When camping off trail at some random site, previously used or not, it is assumed you want to be alone. Typically there simply wouldn't be room for another person or group, but it does depend on the area and specific site.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Ashby Hollow, .5 miles south of VA605/Morgan’s Mill Road. Just past the footbridge is a hardened albeit sloped site with a large stone fire ring.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++