WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Finishing old thru-hike

I started in 2005 and got to Connecticut. I’m finishing up NB this year, heading out in mid July. Any major changes in trail culture, etiquette & safety I should be aware of since 2005? How have smartphones changed the thru hiking experience? What’s the recommended databook these days (used wingfoot in 2005). Thanks!

Back in 05 your hiking companions kept in touch via the shelter logs now they are all facebook friends, or tweet buddies and use that to meet up and keep track. If you were like me and burned your paper trash in the campfire at the end of the day you will get stared at or even talked to these days. Also, back then we were all mostly shelter rats. Today most people will tent or hammock near a shelter unless it's storming. The trail magic is better especially South of New England. Maps are better. Prices are way up at hostels. The 2 best guide books are way better than 05. Thru Hikers Companion and AWOL's guide. I have used both and either way is fine.

I can't tell about 05, my first long hike on the AT was in 07, and my thru hike 8 years later. To me, the changes can mostly be attributed to the technology - mostly the smartphone. Remember carrying a pre paid calling card to use at a payphone that you had to stand in line to use in a trail town? Anyway....now the smartphone replaces a number of the things you may have carried in 05. Cool. Lightweight. Now the smartphone can turn any user into a wannabe reality TV star in real time, right there next to you on the overlook. Now, the drones above you are operated by the TV stars on that overlook too. They hike their own hike so it's OK. Remember wondering where a trail friend is, and hoping you may run into them again? Well now they can carry gps trackers so you can locate them on your phone, or just send a message or give a call. If you aren't familiar with the tech don't worry, there will be plenty of people who are that can train you. If you need anything at all, just push the trail magic button and facebook and the rest of the cyberworld will be notified.

I didn't carry a smartphone on my thru, in part because I don't own one, but also because I felt that the mystery of not knowing every detail about who and what was where added to the adventure.

I'm officially old now. Get off my lawn.

Quote Originally Posted by putts View Post
    ......Now, the drones above you are operated by the TV stars on that overlook too. They hike their own hike so it's OK..........
    Although drones have become available since 2005, they are illegal on the AT.

"Now, the drones above you are operated by the TV stars on that overlook too. They hike their own hike so it's OK.........."

Quote Originally Posted by gpburdelljr View Post

I could have worded that better to reflect my sarcasm. I think my cynicism came through though.

Journal Entries

Illegal to take off/land on the AT, and IIRC to operate from the AT, However step off of the AT and fly over it and it's all good (assuming some other restriction doesn't apply.)

Drones won't be part of your experience. Cell phone apps such as Guthook are absolutely amazing. There will be a mix of hikers observant of Leave No Trace, and those that seemingly do what they want. The people, which in my opinion are what make the trail enjoyable, are still people. You'll have a great hike.

I have been sectioning since 2005. The smart phone and how people use it is definitely the biggest change I have seen. People are still people, that hasn't changed.

where i am now, which might not be where i am tomorrow

yes, people are people. but now, rather than look at you, they are thumbing texts and swiping apps...and getting nervous about their battery %.

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I've been sectioning since 2007, and the primary changes I have noticed are as others have stated the cell phone has become front and center at least for the younger crowd. It also seems like it has become more crowded in general. This is totally semantics and I don't mean to offend, but you are finishing off a an attempted thru hike, and are now a lowly section hiker
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

This is one of the reasons that I think section hiking is underrated. The experience constantly changes as times change, and as you mature. You learn a lot more going back for many years, or decades. Constant surprises.

(OK, so it took me 40 years to finish the trail 1974-2014 ..maybe I hold a record?).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

(OK, so it took me 40 years to finish the trail 1974-2014 ..maybe I hold a record?).
    Kerosene, a moderator here, took from 1973 till 2014 to complete the trail.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by RockDoc View Post

Not quite. Kerosene, a moderator here, took from 1973 till 2014 to complete the trail.
    Getting lost is a way to find yourself.

Images

Could anyone imagine Wingfoot on the trail today with cellphones, Guthook, and the like...

I have been sectioning since 2009.

I have gone through three different guidebooks; however, AWOL is my current favorite (and I notice that it is the MOST USED on the trail). I like the elevation at a glance info, etc.

FYI: this year - I used Guthooks, purchasing it for the section I hiked. ... It SAVED ME when I was hiking at night! I DEFINITELY RECOMMEND IT!!!! (in addition (not to take the place of) a paper type of guide).

Etiquette: Please, pack out your trash... guessing you already did that! No foil to be used - and pack it out if you do!
    Look into all the lighter weight options for things, such as: sleeping pads, backpacks, clothing, etc. AND SHOES! heavy boots are no longer the norm. While some people still wear them, at least half the hikers are in trail runners now a days (LOVE MINE)

Good Luck!

I met a guy in Harpers Ferry at the ATC (2008) he had just finished his last section, he started in 1952

Hiked up to McAfee Knob last Saturday and someone was flying a drone up there. So, they will be encountered.
    Trillium

Images

I was last out there in 2005 myself and cellphones were in pretty good use even then, at least in the NJ/PA area. I did not have a single electronic device on me, and I think that when I finally get the chance to get back out there I will have to wrestle with myself re: phone vs. no phone.

I know that changes in gear in the last 13 years was not part of your question but I think that the development of Cuben fiber/Dyneema has been revolutionary. When I did my first big AT hike I tarped with a 10 x 10 silnylon tarp that weighed 16 oz. plus lines and stakes and I suffered through the bugs with no netting. I recently ordered an 8.5 x 10 cuben fiber tarp from ZPacks that weighs a little over 5 oz. which I will be pairing with a Borah Gear cuben fiber net bivy which, when it is done being manufactured should weigh in at about 4 oz. Add some stakes and some guy lines and I am looking at a complete shelter for 12 oz. Kind of blows my mind.
    Long-distance aspirations with short-distance feet.... :jump

Sounds like it's a competition to be the slowest. Maybe so, I think the longer time span has the broadest perspective.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnybgood View Post
    Not quite. Kerosene, a moderator here, took from 1973 till 2014 to complete the trail.

++ New Posts ++