WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Thru-hike: June

Default Thru-hike: June

Anyone gonna be Thru-hiking or section hiking the month of June? Wanting to see if I’ll run into anyone!

I have section hiked this trail quite a bit over the last several years. Have only run into 2 other hikers in all the times I have been on this trail. And I usually go in early June. as well. Are you thru hiking? Which direction? Or section hiking? If so, what part?

Some friendly tips - you will needs maps along with the guidebook. And it can be pretty overgrown in pieces...I like long pants here. I am hiking again this June but am going to combine the Foothill and Bartram Trails here in about a week. Good luck on your hike....it is a fantastic hike.

How overgrown we talking? And yes I’ve got all of the paper maps as well as the GAIA GPS app on the my phone with Topo and National Geographic maps downloaded onto it.

Quote Originally Posted by CloudsRest View Post
    How overgrown we talking? And yes I’ve got all of the paper maps as well as the GAIA GPS app on the my phone with Topo and National Geographic maps downloaded onto it.
    In June there will be spots that will feel more like a deer trail than a hiking trail. I'm talking about not seeing your feet due to the undergrowth on either side. It's not always like that as you will be on old road beds and such and the trail in the GSMNP is pretty well defined. The overgrown spots will make you glad you have your map and compass, especially if this is your first time on the BMT. Good luck....this is an awesome trip!

a lot of the BMT is not heavily traveled. here's a slice of the Bald River section from June a few years ago. if you look closely you can see the white diamond.
    P3301003.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by Ashepabst View Post
    a lot of the BMT is not heavily traveled. here's a slice of the Bald River section from June a few years ago. if you look closely you can see the white diamond.
    P3301003.JPG
    as they say, 1 picture is worth a 1,000 words. Thanks for posting, should give the OP a better idea of why most don't like shorts for hiking this trail.

Two years ago, I posted on WB that I would be starting at the Approach Trail in June. Several others chimed in. I actually met two people who had posted on WB before we were on the trail! Pretty cool!

Unfortunately, even sections that overgrown can be neglected for a couple seasons allowing the brambles (blackberry and/or briars) to take over from the less painful weeds. Several of the ridge trails were literally miles of this and Bob's Bald more closely resembles Bob's brambles. This particular picture is from June 2018 between Unicoi gap and Rockytop. But most days you could expect at least a mile or so of something like this until you get to the Smokies. While some of those trails are also overgrown you can still see the trail. There is a spot in the middle of the BMT trail between Tapoco Lodge and Fontana that runs on an old forest road that was so overgrown the weeds were above 6 feet. Fortunately, they were not the kinds of plants that have thorns, and you were on a big road on a ridge so you didn't have to worry about where the trail was. The real downside to this overgrowth is you end up losing what views the trail does offer from these ridges.
    P1070141.JPG

++ New Posts ++