WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Bacpacker ultralight asym vs hyperlight

My backpacker ul asym is getting a little long in the tooth. Also, i realy want a side zip vs
    bottom entry. Anyone had experience with both? I am 5'10, 180 lbs. thanks i. Advance for opinions/advise

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

I haven't tried the side entry system that Hennessy is now offering, since my hammock is older than that, but it shouldn't be any different from other side entry hammocks. I do use a an older-model Hyperlight and have been very happy with it. I'm 5'9" and about 165, so we're in the same size range. It's very comfortable and has held up well for over 400 trail miles and many nights of hanging. I did have a problem early on with my ridgeline snapping on me once, but Hennessy has since changed them to be more robust, so I doubt you'll have that problem. I replaced mine with essentially the same aramid line that they use now and it's held just fine since then.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

Images

Like Strategic said, side zip or netless is pretty much like any other hammock. The bottom entry is truly the best for bugs, no doubt. I started having an issue with it when I went to an UQ and couldn't reach out to adjust the quilt as needed. Didn't want to spend more $$ on a 2QZQ zipper mod as mine was older as well. Spent those dollars on a cheap netless and never looked back.

I don't know what kind of tarp you have, but it was clear to me in the transition that I would not be happy getting into and out of the top-loading hammock with a tarp pulled down on me. That meant hanging the tarp higher and getting bigger for more coverage. THAT was a revelation to me as I found I just loved the openness of not having a tarp pulled down on me and having enough coverage to be in porch mode all the time, even during storms.
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

I plan, therefore I am Strategic's Avatar
    Images

Like scope, I also use a larger hex fly, not the original Hennessy fly. It really is a better option, especially if you DIY or buy a lightweight tarp. Mine is DIY from .5oz polycarbonate coated polyester (basically a newer version of the Icarex kite fabric) and even though it's a very large hex (144" x 108") it still weighs less than the original fly (just 7oz with lines, figure9s, and stuff sack.) Unlike a lot of DIY projects, flys are pretty easy if you can sew at all and there are plenty of good websites that can show you how to cut and sew a catenary-cut hex fly. You have a lot more room to do whatever you need under cover and, as scope says, can easily stay in porch mode even in a pretty heavy storm.
    Strategy without tactics is the slowest route to victory. Tactics without strategy is the noise before defeat.
    Sun Tzu, The Art of War.

I can't answer your question but I'm considering letting go my very limited use Backpacker UL that I converted to continuous loops for alternate suspension. Let me know if you'd be interested.

Mine is side zip.

I've had both. Vastly prefer for ease of entry/exit, not feeling claustrophobic, and not losing things falling on the ground through the bottom opening, the side zip. Actually, now prefer a hang with a removable micro nanoseeum net/bug sock or separate netting hung over the ridgeline or removable zippered or velcroed netting because netting is not always required. ie Dutch's Summer Sock or Dream Hammocks Sock.

++ New Posts ++