WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Where To Park For A Month

Hello. I plan to start on July 1st and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good option for month long parking. I've contacted Sedalia RV Storage but I'm wondering if anyone else has any better ideas. Thanks.

the parking lot at the trailhead is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    the parking lot at the trailhead is fine.
    They really let you park there for 5 weeks at a time?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TyCx View Post
    Hello. I plan to start on July 1st and I'm wondering if anyone has found a good option for month long parking. I've contacted Sedalia RV Storage but I'm wondering if anyone else has any better ideas. Thanks.
    where are you trying to start . do not leave your car for more than two weeks at a trail head . i think it is 14 days that you can leave your car but after that there is a chance of it getting towed . i let people park at my house in ga with no ga . i live on the side of a mtn in a very good area so your car is safe here . have a safe hike .. peace my friend

Images

sorry i see you are trying to start at the Colorado trail . have a safe hike

I left my car at the trailhead, and it was fine - perk of having an ugly beat-up old car.
    I'd recommend a solar battery charger.

Call the local storage facilities. Usually they don't charge too much for a month. I'm leaving my ride in Durango... putting it inside a storage facility.

From the End-to-end guide:
    Thanks to Justin “Chewy” Edge for forwarding this info from The Colorado Trail Foundation originally. The updated page is here.Yes, it’s fine to leave your car in the parking lot….
    Michelle at Waterton Canyon would like people to call 303-979-4129 and give them the make of the car, license plate, etc. so that they know the car has not been abandoned. They can leave cars there while thru-hiking the CT. Common sense would advise against leaving any valuables in your car for an extended period of time. The Waterboard is not responsible for your vehicle.
    From the CO Trail website:
    Denver Water (DW) administers the parking lot at the Waterton Canyon Trailhead but there's no security there. You're welcome to park for the day. Multiday parking is also allowed IF you furnish your car and personal information with Denver Water, AND IF you're comfortable doing it. (Not too common, but there have been reports of break-ins.) Common sense would advise against leaving any valuables in your car for an extended period of time. DW does not encourage people to park overnight or long-term due to vandalism and is not liable for any damage or theft, etc

Phone in advance and talk with a Denver Water authority:

Denver Water requires vehicle owners parking for multiple days to provide in advance:

• Name
    • Phone number
    • Emergency contact
    • Car description
    • License plate number
    • Date of drop off
    • Date they'll return for vehicle pickup
    • Assurance they'll adhere to Denver Water instructions on where to park
    • Acknowledge that Denver Water is not liable for any damage or theft, etc.

I was told by Denver Water employee the last time I was there (March 2018) that they started towing vehicles if left for longer than a week. I asked him about notifying his office with my contact info and vehicle info and he told me it's still happened in the past where someone was towed even after giving that info. I'd say this is risky at best.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vagabond_veteran View Post
    Call the local storage facilities. Usually they don't charge too much for a month. I'm leaving my ride in Durango... putting it inside a storage facility.
    There's a place in Sedalia (or maybe Louviers) that apparently stores your vehicle, plus gives you a ride to the trailhead.

Anyone know which facility? Google "sedalia RV storage" and "Louviers RV storage" and give them a call. Parking a decent car at Waterton makes me a bit nervous too....

++ New Posts ++