WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Can’t help but think a fixed blade knife may give a body 1/2 a fighting chance.

I seem to recall an individual fighting off a cougar with a Bic Pen many years ago.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rocketsocks View Post
    Can’t help but think a fixed blade knife may give a body 1/2 a fighting chance.
    i cant help but think 2 against 1 would give you a fighting chance to.

not be judgmental, but "a cougar attacked me, so my friend distracted it and then i ran for the hills" isnt a very good optic when the friend ends up dead.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    i cant help but think 2 against 1 would give you a fighting chance to.

not be judgmental, but "a cougar attacked me, so my friend distracted it and then i ran for the hills" isnt a very good optic when the friend ends up dead.
    Apropos of absolutely nothing, I think the word "friend" is overused in our society.We use it for people who are most likely "friendly acquaintances". i always told my sons that if they met 5 real and true friends along the way they were doing better than most.

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    The problem with mountain biking is that you move at fast speed. When you are trespassing/violating a big cat's or a grizzly's territory, you have become an intruder, and you will be treated as such. This is the thing most mountain biking guys don't get it.
    The problem with mountain biking and the speed of travel is that you no doubt trigger a predator's inclination to chase. That probably led to this issue, although the cat could have just as easily targeted a hiker as they have before.

of course cat is guilty of nothing. the cat breaks no laws, as it not subject to them. if you kill animals, i believe you are a murderer. most people would disagree with me. i live in sf bay area, so call me snowflake and feel better about yourself

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Predators, just like armies, know that to suceed

You first divide, then conquer

if they stayed together, might have had different outcome
    Totally agree. Don’t run. Stand your ground together. However, fear takes over the best of us at times like this. How well do you know your friend? Will they back you up in an emergency?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by robby View Post
    of course cat is guilty of nothing. the cat breaks no laws, as it not subject to them. if you kill animals, i believe you are a murderer. most people would disagree with me. i live in sf bay area, so call me snowflake and feel better about yourself
    There are 7.4 billion human animals on this tiny rock and their population is projected to be over 10 billion in a few more decades. All wild animals including all large ocean fishes are destined to be all gone by then. Progress!

Quote Originally Posted by Runner2017 View Post
    The problem with mountain biking is that you move at fast speed. When you are trespassing/violating a big cat's or a grizzly's territory, you have become an intruder, and you will be treated as such. This is the thing most mountain biking guys don't get it.
    A ranger in MT was killed by grizz few years ago on a mtb....

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    A ranger in MT was killed by grizz few years ago on a mtb....

Yeah. No exceptions.

This two guys hiked across the North pole in summer (the toughest time of year to do it). And they didn't even bring any rifles. They had many encounters with polar bears and never got bothered.

https://youtu.be/3IKxCA1C-Yw

If an animal kills a human that is OK but if a human kills an animal that is murder? I am having a hard time seeing the logic behind that line of reasoning. Help me understand your thought process on this.
    If you don't stand for something, you will fall for anything.

Didn’t imply you were a snowflake only that killing the cat wasn’t murder.

Journal Entries

Don't cougar's typically attack their prey very rapidly, attempting to kill or fatally wound it by biting quickly with jaws and teeth that are powerful enough to break neck vertebra? So, perhaps we shouldn't be critical of the cyclist who left the scene and survived. Things might not have turned out any better if he had remained there.
    Last edited by Siestita; 05-21-2018 at 00:10.

Images

should have been wielding a piece ....

News reports this morning that the cougar was emancipated. Only weighed around 100 lbs, normal weight is 150lbs.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Thefurther View Post
    should have been wielding a piece ....
    Somehow I don’t think that operating a firearm from a moving mountain bike would work out as planned...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Quote Originally Posted by Roll Tide View Post
    News reports this morning that the cougar was emancipated. Only weighed around 100 lbs, normal weight is 150lbs.
    Autocorrect?
    did you mean emaciated?

A gun could have helped, but no guarantees.

This is pretty telling. Could have been with its mother too long and did not develop enough hunting skill,

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

I don't normally make these kind of comments because I wasn't there and don't know all the facts of the incident, but why in the heck did the one guy take off and ride 2 miles away and then call for help? I can't say that I'd be a hero in that situation either, but if my buddy was being attacked I'd at least have grabbed the nearest big stick and put up a fight.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    I seem to recall an individual fighting off a cougar with a Bic Pen many years ago.
    Had to have been a Marine
    But I can honestly say I’ve never carved a turkey with a Bic pen. Grappling with a big cat would be like fighting Royce Gracie and Freddy Cougar all rolled up into one...I don’t do big cats, I’d rather fight a bear any day...a small bear, like teddy size.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++