Results 1 to 7 of 7
  1. #1
    Registered User Purposeful Wandering's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-16-2015
    Location
    North Reading, MA
    Age
    39
    Posts
    18

    Default Are the Bear Boxes all still locked?

    Hi - Are the bear boxes along the trail still locked?

  2. #2
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-09-2016
    Location
    springfield massachusetts
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Just finished the LT from Killington to North Adams; only one locked that I noticed was Seth Warner. Kid Gore had three, all open!

  3. #3
    Registered User somers515's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-02-2014
    Location
    Millstone Township, NJ
    Age
    46
    Posts
    312

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
    Just finished the LT from Killington to North Adams; only one locked that I noticed was Seth Warner. Kid Gore had three, all open!
    Perhaps the OP is thinking of the tool boxes at some shelters that look like they could be bear boxes. Those are kept locked of course. I thought the same thing when I saw them.
    LT End-to-Ender 2017; AT from Lehigh Gap to Hudson River; NH 29/48
    "Your assumptions are your windows on the world. Scrub them off every once in a while, or the light won't come in." - Isaac Asimov

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-09-2016
    Location
    springfield massachusetts
    Posts
    11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Perhaps the OP is thinking of the tool boxes at some shelters that look like they could be bear boxes. Those are kept locked of course. I thought the same thing when I saw them.
    Wasn't aware that some of them could be tool boxes, that makes more sense; I didn't think Kid Gore got enough traffic to warrant so much storage!

    The visitor log at Seth Warner (the same one that was there when I went through in 2016, needs replacing!) had multiple postings from hikers over the years stating the box was locked; if it's a toolbox for the trail maintenance crew, that explains it.

    Thanks!

    spt

  5. #5
    Registered User hikermiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-24-2007
    Location
    Danbury, CT
    Age
    73
    Posts
    108

    Default

    The bear box at Seth Warner was locked because people kept dumping trash in it.

  6. #6
    Registered User Elaikases's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-26-2016
    Location
    Plano, Texas
    Age
    63
    Posts
    397

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by somers515 View Post
    Perhaps the OP is thinking of the tool boxes at some shelters that look like they could be bear boxes. Those are kept locked of course. I thought the same thing when I saw them.
    Ahh. Thank you. I was trying to make sense of this and now it clicks.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by steve54 View Post
    Wasn't aware that some of them could be tool boxes, that makes more sense; I didn't think Kid Gore got enough traffic to warrant so much storage!

    The visitor log at Seth Warner (the same one that was there when I went through in 2016, needs replacing!) had multiple postings from hikers over the years stating the box was locked; if it's a toolbox for the trail maintenance crew, that explains it.

    Thanks!

    spt
    In 2017 Kid Gore had a big bear problem. Mountain Goat Outfitter in Manchester donated the tool boxes and GMC hiked them in.
    Order your copy of the Appalachian Trail Passport at www.ATPassport.com

    Green Mountain House Hostel
    Manchester Center, VT

    http://www.greenmountainhouse.net

++ New Posts ++

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •