WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default 100% Fully Waterproof Jacket

Last week I worked an aid station at a trail run and stood in the rain for 8 hours and went through 2 different rain jackets - Patagonia Torrentshell and an Arcteryx jacket. As expected, no typical outdoor gore tex (or some similar material) will keep you 100% dry all day. All those materials eventually wet out is my understanding.

So my question is are you aware of fully waterproof jacket that will keep you dry in a 10 hour rain storm? It doesn't have to be light or very breathable. It will only be used while walking or standing still. What do sailors use to stay dry in an all day storm?

Thanks

Default 100% Fully Waterproof Jacket

A rubberized slicker
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

A plastic poncho or those cheap vinyl rain jackets will work.

cheap thin dry cleaners bag

I have foul weather gear for my blue water sailing. The gear is PVC coated nylon. I have been in some pretty wicked storms with it (even a hurricane) and as long as I keep it buttoned up, I stay dry. On the inside collar tag it reads "100% Waterproof."

When I first got into hiking I thought about taking it with me, but as I educated myself, I realized it is way too heavy. If the OP doesn't care about weight, try a sailor's foul weather gear. BTW - it ain't cheap. Mine was over $100 almost 30 years ago and it was at the low end of the foul weather gear I researched.
    Trail Name - Slapshot
    "One step at a time."
    Blog - www.tonysadventure.com

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    Last week I worked an aid station at a trail run and stood in the rain for 8 hours and went through 2 different rain jackets - Patagonia Torrentshell and an Arcteryx jacket. As expected, no typical outdoor gore tex (or some similar material) will keep you 100% dry all day. All those materials eventually wet out is my understanding.

So my question is are you aware of fully waterproof jacket that will keep you dry in a 10 hour rain storm? It doesn't have to be light or very breathable. It will only be used while walking or standing still. What do sailors use to stay dry in an all day storm?

Thanks
    Andrew Skurka has some thoughts on the topic.

https://andrewskurka.com/2015/backpa...et-rain-pants/

A house! Nothing is 100% waterproof.

If you're not exerting yourself, just standing around, handing out drinks, etc, and it's not humid or hot, I'd try a non breathable non porous fully WP hooded two way zippered jacket and pants bought from HD that has vent options on the back and through mesh pockets. Raise the zip up from waist and down from the neck for additional venting as needed. HD has like pants with through mesh pockets. If not that cold and windy a non breathable non porous poncho over a DWR wind jacket or merino deep 1/4 zip if it is cooler has worked for me when volunteering at several running aid stations in heavy or long duration rain.

I disagree that all WP rain jackets when functioning and used as optimally intended wet out. In British Columbia, on the IAT, several PNWT LASHes, bunches of wet season Oregon coast and Cali Lost Coast and Redwood NP hikes, Maine wanderings, and several Olympic multi week hikes I've been able to keep rain jackets from wetting out over several days of rain. Other times I have not.

Andrew's article primarily addressed usage and needs when on the move...and as his custom, typically moving quickly and/or consistently.

Leonidas

Might want to check out LightHeart Gear. Pit zips for mechanical venting if needed, $99 isn't too bad compared to other options.
    • All fabrics are waterproof, not breathable.

https://www.lightheartgear.com/colle...ts/rain-jacket
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post
    Might want to check out LightHeart Gear. Pit zips for mechanical venting if needed, $99 isn't too bad compared to other options.

Looks like a winner! Thanks for the lead.

For the OP's application, a cheap PVC rain suit would work.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post
    For the OP's application, a cheap PVC rain suit would work.
    My daughter has a Coleman PVC jacket. It is light, cheap and fully waterproof.
    If you go with the LHG pay attention to sleeve length. I had to return the one I bought as the sleeves are designed for T Rex. She will make one with longer sleeves for an upcharge.

A silnylon jacket won't breathe but won't wet out or let water through either. But you will have interior condensation from body moisture.
    Find the LIGHT STUFF at QiWiz.net

The lightest cathole trowels, wood burning stoves, windscreens, spatulas,
    cooking options, titanium and aluminum pots, and buck saws on the planet

Lightheart Gear has a silnylon jacket that doesn’t even try to be breathable, if that’s what you’re looking for.

I like the OR Helium for the same reasons Skurka does - it’s super light and if it’s really raining I’m gonna get wet anyway

Not much talk about Frogg Toggs on here.
    I still use them.
    The lightweight version is really thin and seems to work well, although it ripped fairly easily on me when bushwhacking last year on the Via Dinarica.
    I took the heavier weight set to Tasmania last month as it is known to rain a lot (which it did) The only problem I had was the sleeve leaked as it was worn out (this was my 20 year old regular weight jacket.)
    I think I'll just buy another lightweight set for my next trip (heading to Vietnam and then Taiwan in the next 2 months) Don't really trust the duct tape patch.
    Anyone try sail repair tape on their Froggies?
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Images

Due to the poor performance of traditional rain gear, I have settled on two, well three, items. First, a Brawny Gear (no longer available, but similar are), silnylon, pull-over rain jacket. It is only about 3 oz and packs to the size of a cigarette pack. The hood works well over a ball cap (need the brim to keep rain off my glasses). It is loose fitting enough that there is a modicum of ventilation. I just wear a thin synthetic, long sleeved base layer under it to keep the clammy feeling off my skin. Second, a ULA rain wrap (now called a rain kilt, I believe). Simple, very light and compact, excellent lower half ventilation yet surprisingly effective at blocking cold wind. It does allow rain to run onto your lower legs and into your shoes, but gators would minimize this, I don't bother as your feet always get wet anyway from puddles. Third, silnylon pack cover and trash bag pack liner.

I have used this combo everywhere from AT downpours and flooding in PA back in '93 to the High Sierra thunderstorms above treeline, to rain/sleet/snow/wind for several days in the Boundary Waters (northern Minnesota) while hiking the Border Route and Kekekabic Trails in April/May. Works better than most other systems I have used over the years, but definitely not perfect. As stated by a previous poster, a house is your sure bet, as long as it has a good roof, otherwise, you are outdoors and subject to getting wet.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    Not much talk about Frogg Toggs on here.
    I still use them.
    The lightweight version is really thin and seems to work well, although it ripped fairly easily on me when bushwhacking last year on the Via Dinarica.
    I took the heavier weight set to Tasmania last month as it is known to rain a lot (which it did) The only problem I had was the sleeve leaked as it was worn out (this was my 20 year old regular weight jacket.)
    I think I'll just buy another lightweight set for my next trip (heading to Vietnam and then Taiwan in the next 2 months) Don't really trust the duct tape patch.
    Anyone try sail repair tape on their Froggies?
    Think the lightweight Frogg Togg set is worth picking up for a NOBO AT trip? That price is hard to beat, but if they're just going to fall apart quickly, I'd pass.

Bushwhacking on the Via Dinarica trail is a lot different than hiking the AT.
    I ripped one sleeve one day (we bushwhacked about every other day on our 52 day hike there), and repaired it with duct tape and it lasted the rest of the trip.
    I would use them on the AT.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by JC13 View Post

This was my recommendation as well.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Yep! Another vote for the Lightheart gear rain jacket. I love it for hiking, you will get wet or damp from sweat in it, but I’ve gone through too many breathable shells that wet out after a day or two.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++