WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Training

Images

Hike, cross train, hike some more, cross train some more.....

Swim, bike, hike, throw some light lifting in there, hike some more, you're good to go! At least I am, works for me.

And try not to be too overweight when you start a long hike. If you are way overweight, that's a tough start. 20 lbs or so, no worries, it will melt off.

Quote Originally Posted by jgerke View Post
    Thanks for the input everyone. I am coming from a trail running background but transitioning into more hiking than running. My body isn't handling the running as well as it used to as I get older. I was thinking getting into long distance hiking might be better on my body but worried that I might loose fitness by not running. Hence I was curious what you guys do to stay in shape for thru hiking. I already do quite a bit of vert living next to the Wasatch Mountains. I typically get in between 10-15k of vert per week.
    When it's not ridiculously hot out, I try to do an overnight hike every couple months, and when a section hike is approaching, I do a couple hours Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Last year (or the year before?) I picked up mountain bike trail riding to stay in shape. Great cardio, but if you injure yourself, it's hard to stay in shape while the bones heal.

Quote Originally Posted by MtDoraDave View Post
    When it's not ridiculously hot out, I try to do an overnight hike every couple months, and when a section hike is approaching, I do a couple hours Saturday or Sunday mornings.

Last year (or the year before?) I picked up mountain bike trail riding to stay in shape. Great cardio, but if you injure yourself, it's hard to stay in shape while the bones heal.
    A lot of my cycling friends are getting off the road and into mountain biking. I want to try it one day but have reservations....mainly buying another bike. I need a new road bike and can’t afford both.

Currently trying to get motivated to go out and run while its cool outside.

Also treated my hiking clothes, shoes, daypack, and back pack with permethrin, thought about my next Cumberland Trail hike, and dreamed about finishing the BMT.

Dang, thought i was posting in the “what did you do this week” thread.

-

I eat a lot before a hike, maybe to be ready to eat a lot while hiking, or just becuzz

I'm no longer young enough or fit enough to just toss a pack on my back and take off so at least a few months prior to my planned trip I begin carrying my pack everywhere I go. While I get some odd looks on the campus where I work, it helps me a lot. I also walk on the hillside beside all the stairs we have on campus as I know there will be no similarly spaced steps on any route I take in the backcountry. After a couple of weeks of doing this I'll add more weight to my pack and then increase it periodically until I'm carrying a bit more than I expect to carry while on my trip. This approach makes for a doable first day when I finally get out on the trail.

One last point, this is all for relatively short trips; i.e. 7 days or so. If I were ever to have the luxury of time and able to do an extended hike, I would begin the process at least 6 months in advance; maybe 8.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++