WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Question Starting in Pawling NY tomorrow heading south

I am going to find anything but mud? Any local weather on the ground reports?

Yea your gunna find a lot of rocks lol I went thru there and honestly the trail doesn't get bad sobo until us17 and that is a little rough for about 20 miles sobo be lucky there is a lot of rain, we had a 20 mile dry section after us17
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Journal Entries

Not particularly muddy, a bit at the first 2 miles though fields, then not until NJ.

Yes, gotta love the fields at first! Then, enjoy the mud and rocks! ... but most of all, love the beauty of the AT~!

Default Impassable sections in New York north of Hudson River

We have reports from 3 different people (1 trail maintainer and 2 hikers) that 2 different areas between NY 52 and Graymoor Spiritual Life Center are essentially impassible. One area took a thru-hiker 5 hours to traverse 1 1/2 miles. Another area a maintainer turned back after 1/4 mile because it was so bad.

Rescue resources could be significantly delayed or impossible if you get injured, ill or lost, due to storm impacts to the trail and surrounding roadways and communities. Allow emergency crews and volunteers to do the work they already have in front of them.

Suggest that you jump ahead to Graymoor Monastery or Hudson River. A northbound flip-flopper reported some blowdowns but no major obstacles between the NJ/NY border (the northernmost border, 4 miles south of 17A/Greenwood Lake) and the Graymoor Monastery. We have no reports from New Jersey.

Also would be good to wait out today's rains and then consider waiting another day or two. Soils are already saturated; a phrase we are hearing a lot in different places is the Trail is "like a river." When the trail is wet or muddy hikers may be tempted--or need-- to walk around certain areas, which further erodes and widens the Trail.

Updates are being posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates as they are available.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauriep View Post
    We have reports from 3 different people (1 trail maintainer and 2 hikers) that 2 different areas between NY 52 and Graymoor Spiritual Life Center are essentially impassible. One area took a thru-hiker 5 hours to traverse 1 1/2 miles. Another area a maintainer turned back after 1/4 mile because it was so bad.

Rescue resources could be significantly delayed or impossible if you get injured, ill or lost, due to storm impacts to the trail and surrounding roadways and communities. Allow emergency crews and volunteers to do the work they already have in front of them.

Suggest that you jump ahead to Graymoor Monastery or Hudson River. A northbound flip-flopper reported some blowdowns but no major obstacles between the NJ/NY border (the northernmost border, 4 miles south of 17A/Greenwood Lake) and the Graymoor Monastery. We have no reports from New Jersey.

Also would be good to wait out today's rains and then consider waiting another day or two. Soils are already saturated; a phrase we are hearing a lot in different places is the Trail is "like a river." When the trail is wet or muddy hikers may be tempted--or need-- to walk around certain areas, which further erodes and widens the Trail.

Updates are being posted at www.appalachiantrail.org/updates as they are available.
    Listen to Laurie! She is an AT Assoc. employee!!!!!!!

Journal Entries
    Images

Wow. I am not arguing about hiking or not hiking there, but I hiked through all 3 areas Friday and Saturday, southbound. I did not see the alerts until I was home. Other hikers who were hiking the other direction told me, and had just hiked around the areas noted. One area is marked with white ribbons, showing you how to hike around it. The other 2 were not. Again, not arguing about possibility of getting lost. I got lost a year ago following a blue trail off the AT, and went in circles for 2 hours, on a sunny day. Just want to note that some of us have hiked through and around these sections, with just an extra 15 minutes or so each, and safely made it home. I am only a section hiker but imagine that thru hikers who have made it to NY can follow a detour or climb over a tree trunk or two. Regarding wet trails, it was nothing special from RPH shelter to Route 301 on Saturday. Yes, wet, but not flooded. Many thanks to those putting up the flags and maintaining the trails.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
    Just love being outside, not sure why. 765 AT miles done (2014-2018), many more to go.

NJDreamer, thanks for sharing your experience and reports from others, as well as your thanks to volunteers. We just learned yesterday at ATC HQ that trail maintainers had been out in New York starting by Friday or sooner clearing sections, so significant progress in clearing the Trail may have been made in the last few days but hikers should still use caution and stay safe.

We will do our best to post updates as they are available. We also need to keep in mind that the way one experienced, well-prepared hiker might perceive and negotiate a section impacted by the storm could be different from the way a novice hiker might.

Here's one update: Long Hill Road to Taconic State Parkway (1427.7 to 1430.4) cleared as of Friday evening, except for a few large trees that can be walked around.

I'll do my best to post some photos that show just how bad the damage was, and how impressive the work of the volunteers is.

Default Photos of damage

Images

My little saw wouldn't dent those trees.
    enemy of unnecessary but innovative trail invention gadgetry

How does on go about signing up to become a trail maintainer? I live in Northern NJ. Thanks

Images

Quote Originally Posted by spfleisig View Post
    How does on go about signing up to become a trail maintainer? I live in Northern NJ. Thanks
    https://www.nynjtc.com/volunteer-now

Images

So yeah the section was a trip, I was halfway from Morgan to RPH when a group said that this section was closed. My pictures echo the ones above a couple areas a little tricky but nothing out of control IMO. The worst is like three miles on either side of RPH. But that was last week by now that club probably has it all cut away. They were out Sunday/Monday doing awesome. Oh I do recommend the pizza at RPH. 3 hikers 3 pizzas 4 liters of coke as the rain fell. Many thru hikers - on day 70-78. One was in High Point shelter as the storm rolled past.
    Attached Images Attached Images

++ New Posts ++