WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Most Comfortable Hammock?

I'm looking to buy an Hammock and looking for the most comfortable hammock.
    Please Share your review Which hammock you found most comfortable?

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBelly View Post
    I'm looking to buy an Hammock and looking for the most comfortable hammock.
    Please Share your review Which hammock you found most comfortable?
    Tough question. Generally, people find longer and wider more comfortable, which is why so many people diss the 9’ ENO. If you’re looking for a camping hammock, the top 3 tend to be the Dream Hammock, the Chameleon, and the Blackbird.

There’s lots of discussions about this on the hammock forums, at hammockforums.net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainCoupal View Post
    Tough question. Generally, people find longer and wider more comfortable, which is why so many people diss the 9’ ENO. If you’re looking for a camping hammock, the top 3 tend to be the Dream Hammock, the Chameleon, and the Blackbird.

There’s lots of discussions about this on the hammock forums, at hammockforums.net.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I head about Dream Hammock alot but never tried before
    oh thanks I will check HammockForum

Journeyman Journeyer
    Images

Most Comfortable Hammock?

oh thanks I will check HammockForum
    I would suggest not asking that question on hammock forums. That question gets asked regularly and you may not get the response you seek. I suggest you spend some time reading over there before you ask questions. It will ultimately save you some time.

++1 on all the above comments. One thing to look at over at Hammock Forums (HF) is for a community "hang" near you. Here in Texas we have a summer "Butt Bake", in the middle of the summer. We have a HUGE fall hang (we rent the entire state park, vendors show up, 200+ people), we have a winter hang and often there are other things going on "Hey, Lets meet up and hang and hike around X lake"....and 20 people show up. These are a GREAT way to go check out different hammocks. My first group hang was the Butt Bake. We probably had 40 hammocks. Warbonnet (I had), Dream, Eno, you name it. Then toss in different suspensions, different types (Bridge and gathered end)......it's enough to make your head swim BUT you can figure out which way you want to go.
    You can also find some gear for sale at group hangs and on HF and save some money as you try different things. My first hammock was the Warbonnet, purchased used on either WB or HF.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

A bridge is the most comfortable hammock.
    I may be biased.

Journal Entries

I have a Warbonnet Blackbird XLC and would not trade it for anything except another Blackbird.
    Blackheart

I got a dream Hammock Raven this winter. I have enjoyed it relaxing/napping in a nearby park, but not on the trail yet (several feel of snow in the mountains out here, still). I am very impressed with the hammock and company. See their website for details. They have a huge range of options. Hammock Hangers has further discussion of them. You will also want a nice tarp and underquilt. Mosquito netting too, most likely.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by grubbster View Post
    I would suggest not asking that question on hammock forums. That question gets asked regularly and you may not get the response you seek. I suggest you spend some time reading over there before you ask questions. It will ultimately save you some time.
    Great Advice I created a post there yesterday and I'm getting suggestions over all people of HF are pretty nice.

Quote Originally Posted by Feral Bill View Post
    I got a dream Hammock Raven this winter. I have enjoyed it relaxing/napping in a nearby park, but not on the trail yet (several feel of snow in the mountains out here, still). I am very impressed with the hammock and company. See their website for details. They have a huge range of options. Hammock Hangers has further discussion of them. You will also want a nice tarp and underquilt. Mosquito netting too, most likely.
    I created same thread on Hammock Forums and most of the experts suggested me to go with Dream hammock I'm still waiting for some more review before going to order my new hammock

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    A bridge is the most comfortable hammock.
    I may be biased. ...

I have been very happy with my gathered-end hammocks but, you make that bridge seem like an essential addition to my gear closet. Is that commercially available or your own creation?

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    I have been very happy with my gathered-end hammocks but, you make that bridge seem like an essential addition to my gear closet. Is that commercially available or your own creation?
    From how long you have been stucked with gathered-end hammock?

Discovered hammocks as an overnight camping option in 2010. Discovered Underquilts in 2012, that was the gamechanger for me.

Quote Originally Posted by OCDave View Post
    Is that commercially available or your own creation?
    Both.

Being a curious sort I gave hammocks a shot, but I always had issues with gathered ends, being used to making my own gear I got sucked into Bridges.
    The primary driver was being able to use a sleeping pad (well). You certainly don't need a pad, but I prefer to have the option to. Be it a shelter floor or hostel/town stop on the boring side... or an open meadow, mountain top, bald, or on the beach on the fun side... I still like to have the option to go to sleep on the ground if I want.

As fer buying one- don't.
    I tell people (especially backpackers) that if you can make a gathered end work- nothing simpler or lighter.
    There are reasons to use a bridge, but some compromises too. Simplest options first and if you don't have a problem... don't create one to fix.

So try other stuff first, if nothing else works... then get a hold of me.

Right now:
    I only sell the Luxury Bridge (in the video) and the Big Guy Bridge. Those are rated to 250 lbs and 350lbs+ respectively.
    The Big Guy is the only backpacking oriented bridge hammock that exceeds 250lbs. The Luxury is for those bigger folks who don't fit in a Ridgerunner.
    This bridge was built at the request of forum members at Hammock forums to solve a problem for specific people.
    More information can be found here https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/...20#post1889420

Not currently available:

I also make the lightest bridge in the world...
    The Micro Bridge is between 9.75 and 10.5 ounces. Remember when I said that GE hammocks are always lighter than bridges. I lied.

The Happy Medium is bigger than a ridgerunner but weighs between 13 and 16 ounces. That bridge is out for customer testing now. It would compare very well with a double layer gathered end.

I make a few gathered end designs as well.

Overall; I do this part time. I have a very full time day job, two kids and a baby momma.
    At the moment I am concentrating on the Big Guy and Luxury Bridges... there are over 100 out there now and I am in the process of selling a house, rehabing another, and consolidating everything so I have a sewing shop in my basement. I'm currently 'closed' while I get that done and have a backlog of bridges to build once I get my sewing shop up again.

The Big Guy has been very rewarding as I have many folks who had stopped camping because of sleep issues. I have about a half a dozen of those customers who sleep in the Big Guy Bridge every night. So for now... I'm going to concentrate on helping those folks out and get them back into the woods. But hoping to offer more backpacking oriented solutions in the next year or so.

The most comfortable hammock I own is a Dutch Netless Hammock in Hexon 1.6 from Dutchwaregear .com (and I have way too many hammocks.) It's also a good starter hammock: basic and affordable.

Hammock comfort is a very personal thing. What one person loves, another will hate. The only way to know for sure what is comfortable for you is trying something out.

Personally, I'm a big advocate of just making your own. A gathered end hammock is comically easy to make; I seriously thought I did missed a bunch of steps when I made my first one because of how simple it is. Just take 4 yards of nylon, trim a foot off the end, hem it, and whip the ends with a string. Whole thing will cost under $20 and take you an afternoon at most. You can even skip the hemming step if you're really in a hurry and just want to see what it's like to lay in a hammock.

Homemade suspension is just as easy. Splicing amsteel with a coathanger is a skill that takes about 10minutes to master and will enable you to make continual loops, ridgelines, whoopie slings, etc. etc. I made a whole hammock system from scratch in a weekend for less than $30 when I was first starting and it worked great.

Quote Originally Posted by kroot View Post
    Hammock comfort is a very personal thing. What one person loves, another will hate. The only way to know for sure what is comfortable for you is trying something out.

Personally, I'm a big advocate of just making your own. A gathered end hammock is comically easy to make; I seriously thought I did missed a bunch of steps when I made my first one because of how simple it is. Just take 4 yards of nylon, trim a foot off the end, hem it, and whip the ends with a string. Whole thing will cost under $20 and take you an afternoon at most. You can even skip the hemming step if you're really in a hurry and just want to see what it's like to lay in a hammock.

Homemade suspension is just as easy. Splicing amsteel with a coathanger is a skill that takes about 10minutes to master and will enable you to make continual loops, ridgelines, whoopie slings, etc. etc. I made a whole hammock system from scratch in a weekend for less than $30 when I was first starting and it worked great.
    I started the same way... grabbed 4 yards of 1.9 ripstop from JoAnne and had a hammock that afternoon.
    Figured worst case... nice piece of car camping gear and a good skill to have. You could improvise a hammock from a tarp or lots of crap in a pinch if yer into training for the zombie apocalypse. Tyvek doesn't work though.

Had the conversation with somebody along the way... that even if the hammock experiment was a complete bust that learning to splice is a valuable skill that translates well to your ground game to improve tarp rigs.
    Even the hardware on the hammock side is very innovative and works shockingly well even if you don't hang a hammock under it.

50' of dynaglide and the ability to splice it makes for a very versatile cordage for those into wilderness survival as well. From lashing to snares it's very versatile and easily separated when needed.

PS: I just realized that this thread was started by the resident hammock expert who was pimping his handy guide for beginners. Guess he was working on his next 'article' or maybe he read the guide he borrowed and thought this hammock thing sounds kinda neat and wants to get into it.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    PS: I just realized that this thread was started by the resident hammock expert who was pimping his handy guide for beginners. Guess he was working on his next 'article' or maybe he read the guide he borrowed and thought this hammock thing sounds kinda neat and wants to get into it.
    The OP is a very strange situation. Clearly people over at Hammock Forums have noticed it as well.
    https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php/146637-Beginner-Guide-to-Hammock-Camping

In particular, he blatantly copied someone else's review of a hammock and posted it as his own at HF. I don't know what the end goal is, but he's clearly not a legitimate poster in search of information.
    Last edited by CalebJ; 05-23-2018 at 13:24.

Yes... but hammock forums is a nice place and you're not supposed to call out people.
    Pakistan location via Cheyenne USA.

Not my call, but I'd kill the guys accounts at both places.

The only legible thing on his site is his legal disclaimer on how to notify him that he stole your content.

Images

Yeah, you really did write those articles, didn't you?
    "I wonder if anyone else has an ear so tuned and sharpened as I have, to detect the music, not of the spheres, but of earth, subtleties of major and minor chord that the wind strikes upon the tree branches. Have you ever heard the earth breathe... ?"
    - Kate Chopin

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++