WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Pack choice help

I have a arc haul pack that the whole front opens up revealing everything in your pack without having to dig through your stuff from the top. I really like this feature. My buddy wants a pack with that feature as well but he thinks the arc haul is a little too ul for him. Does anyone know of other pack brands that have that feature? Thanks for your help
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

Quote Originally Posted by polechar View Post
    I have a arc haul pack that the whole front opens up revealing everything in your pack without having to dig through your stuff from the top. I really like this feature. My buddy wants a pack with that feature as well but he thinks the arc haul is a little too ul for him. Does anyone know of other pack brands that have that feature? Thanks for your help
    At the opposite end of the weight/capacity spectrum, my Bean White Mountain Pack has that panel-loading feature. A quick search reveals that the Kelty Red Cloud and Coyote may have it as well.

The REI Flash 65 (on sale now) has a J-zipper on the front panel that is said to provide easy access. Indeed, I'd suggest that full panel loading may not be necessary if you just need to dig for one thing. A side zipper that grants access to the main compartment may suffice. You'll just have to look at various models, but it does not appear to be that rare of a feature. Perhaps it's rare for UL packs though, since an equivalent zipper adds weight vs. the cloth it replaces, plus it adds a point of failure, leakage, etc.

It's a really nice feature, for sure. But if you're trying to make big miles daily, it's probably one of those luxuries you forgo.

Another option is to pack stuff you'll need during the day at the top or put it in outside pockets.

I know, that doesn't answer the question but it solves the problem.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Time Zone View Post
    At the opposite end of the weight/capacity spectrum, my Bean White Mountain Pack has that panel-loading feature. A quick search reveals that the Kelty Red Cloud and Coyote may have it as well.

The REI Flash 65 (on sale now) has a J-zipper on the front panel that is said to provide easy access. Indeed, I'd suggest that full panel loading may not be necessary if you just need to dig for one thing. A side zipper that grants access to the main compartment may suffice. You'll just have to look at various models, but it does not appear to be that rare of a feature. Perhaps it's rare for UL packs though, since an equivalent zipper adds weight vs. the cloth it replaces, plus it adds a point of failure, leakage, etc.

It's a really nice feature, for sure. But if you're trying to make big miles daily, it's probably one of those luxuries you forgo.
    Thanks, he ordered the rei Flash, he's saving over a pound from his old pack and for $99 he can't go wrong.
    Long Trail 8/12, AT SOBO 2013, https://www.youtube.com/user/Polechar/videos

I really LOVE my Gregory Maven! I have had two other major brands in the past; however, the Maven beats them out not only with the space and suspension - but mostly with the breathability of the back! Seriously, my back never sweat - for TWO HUNDRED MILES of backpacking!!! Hello... this is THE PACK!

Seek Outside has a couple models that have side zips or panel loading. I use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner do that feature is useless to me and I never really seen the point of it, unless it's luggage. I don't really get into my pack during the day when I'm hiking. Everything I may possibly need is in the front pocket of the pack, or the belt pouches, or my pants pockets. No need to get into a pack until you are ready to camp for the day.

++ New Posts ++