WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default 4000+ foot and secluded = heaven on earth?

It’s officially, I am spoiled by the seclusion and beauty of Citico Wilderness. While the views from areas such as Grayson Highlands, and Shinning Rock are more amazing, they come at the cost of not being secluded (more people do to easier access).

I am trying to find somewhere new to explore that combines the best of both; seclusion with 4000-6000+ foot elevation. I am sure there must be more trails near Shinning Rock that would offer such a trip experience.

Anyone have any recommendations? Ideally no more than 6hours from northern Alabama. I am not concerned about the difficulty. Thanks in advance for any suggestions you may have.

there are several great wilderness zones in that area: Big Snowbird and the Bald River Basin are both directly adjacent to Citico and mostly uncrowded. Just south of there you have Big Frog/Little Frog and Cohutta. outside of Jacks River Falls, Cohutta's not too busy.

look in to the Fires Creek Rim Trail, too. probably wont see anyone but the few fisherman or maybe picnickers that you pass on the way in.

Panthertown Valley has some great high-elevation hiking, but might be out of your driving range.

Journal Entries

I ran across a website that aggregates information on wilderness areas in the southern Appalachians. Looks like it might be helpful.

https://wildernessstewards.org/wilderness-areas/

Images

Thanks you both for the suggestion/information. Looking like Linville Gorge is going to be my next adventure, as a buddy just committed. Illabella, that list is outstanding, great find!

Images

Thanks you both for the suggestion/information. Looking like Linville Gorge is going to be my next adventure, as a buddy just committed.

for linville gorge----get the Avenza map for it.......its an app on smartphone....

a bunch of the gorge rats put together this map and its much better than the printed maps one will find...

also------highly recommended that a map is needed for the gorge.........

Here's the gorge rats's website---full of info---

http://www.linvillegorge.net/smf/index.php

Big problems with the gorge in my opinion---heavily used because the Ditch is surrounded by roads and tourists and there's a dang road to the top on Table Rock. Plus the gorge has several onerous rules with permits required etc. Not so Citico or Slickrock or Big Frog or Cohutta or the AT south from Fontana or Snowbirds or hundreds of miles of trails south of the Smokies.

Images

I know, not got going to be as secluded as I would prefer, but have to go at least once.

Images

Tipi-. You ever get those Sealskin gortex socks? Just curious if you liked them for the crossing this winter. That is figure if you did get a pair you likely put them through the wringer. Gear report...

Quote Originally Posted by clusterone View Post
    Tipi-. You ever get those Sealskin gortex socks? Just curious if you liked them for the crossing this winter. That is figure if you did get a pair you likely put them through the wringer. Gear report...
    No, never took the sealskin plunge---I still just endure the cold in bare feet and crocs.

++ New Posts ++