WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default ZPacks Arc Haul Webbing and Buckle Changes - New Material - Not Impressed

I recently got my repaired ZPacks Arc Haul back from them in a very timely manner after needing a new belt and shoulder straps

I am, however, not impressed with their changes in the webbing and buckle design for the shoulder straps and belt. I don't know what they were thinking going to a slicker and smoother webbing but I am already having issues with slippage (I saw this was an issue with someone else too). The webbing on the buckle (which is also of a new design) is also attached differently and I have found that the newer webbing warps (as in it doesn't lay flat and buckles slightly) when tightened around the waist, and the buckle doesn't sit flat against my stomach like it used to as the webbing slides up and down more (too much space where the webbing is attached). I didn't have this issue previously.

The webbing at the top of the shoulder straps is also slick and doesn't hold the strap where I want it. I used to have to fight with the adjustment to get it where I wanted it but at least it didn't move once it was there...now it slides back to center constantly. This is a real issue and I am going to have to find a way to stop this happening.

This is just a heads up for anyone sending a pack in for repair or buying a new one. I really don't know what ZPacks was thinking with their decision to change the style and type of the webbing for the straps.

Sounds dumb... but matching hardware and webbing is often the bane of the DIY/MYOG pack builder. It's shockingly easy to mess up.

If it was a personal pack of mine... I have helped/resolved that issue by running rows of stitching into the webbing with the sewing machine to help bulk up the webbing at the buckle a bit if you have that option.
    Come in about a 1/16" and then sew 1/8" parallel rows of stitching on the width of the webbing, about long enough to cover your personal range of adjustment.

But assuming you paid money... Joe isn't exactly a rookie cottage guy in his basement so I'd figure it's his solution to provide unless you wanted to attempt repair yourself if you otherwise are happy.

Guess yer glad you got that Osprey fer now.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Bill View Post
    Sounds dumb... but matching hardware and webbing is often the bane of the DIY/MYOG pack builder. It's shockingly easy to mess up.

If it was a personal pack of mine... I have helped/resolved that issue by running rows of stitching into the webbing with the sewing machine to help bulk up the webbing at the buckle a bit if you have that option.
    Come in about a 1/16" and then sew 1/8" parallel rows of stitching on the width of the webbing, about long enough to cover your personal range of adjustment.

But assuming you paid money... Joe isn't exactly a rookie cottage guy in his basement so I'd figure it's his solution to provide unless you wanted to attempt repair yourself if you otherwise are happy.

Guess yer glad you got that Osprey fer now.
    Sadly I got rid of my old belt before realizing this issue...could have just switched the webbing and buckle back out. I had some other webbing I found that I switched out and it works much better than before, even if the colors don't match. I have contacted them about the buckle issue.

I'm not sure what to do about the shoulder straps...don't really want to send it back. I'll likely put a little superglue on the strap through the buckle to hold it in place...I have to do that on my ball caps.

Please keep us updated concerning this. I just ordered an Arc Haul last week.
    RainmakerAT92
    www.trailquest.net

Quote Originally Posted by rainmakerat92 View Post
    Please keep us updated concerning this. I just ordered an Arc Haul last week.
    With a little superglue on the webbing in the buckles it stays put but of course that takes away any future ability to adjust. I also added some velcro between the two looser (than what they were) shoulder webbing straps and wrapped a little vet wrap around them. Not pretty but certainly functional. ZPacks replaced the buckle and belt webbing for me the older design and shipped it to me so I could change it out. Will report back how it does.

whole heatedly agree. At the end of my thru hike 2019 I will film a review... if it lasts that long

I have an Arc Blast that I purchased earlier this year, and not sure if it's the same should strap you're referencing, but one of the shoulder strap adjustments at the top of the shoulders constantly slides loose. I think that particular strap adjusts the height of the pack best I can figure. Great idea up top about running additional stitching. Not that I have that skill, but I will try to rig something up.
    It is what it is.

++ New Posts ++