WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Burrhead View Post
    Just my opinion but if I was usually around 35 pounds I would keep using the Osprey and put the money you would spend on the ZPack towards lightening up everything else first.
    Yep, this. IMO, the pack should be the last item someone cuts weight in.

The points where the back frame poles meet the webbing, put inside pen caps to reduce poking and wearing holes in the webbing. Especially if arcing the pack.
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by Artemis on the Trail View Post
    The points where the back frame poles meet the webbing, put inside pen caps to reduce poking and wearing holes in the webbing. Especially if arcing the pack.
    Cheers
    This sounds like a decent idea but there is not nearly enough room in the webbing holes of my Arc Haul to do this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Burrhead View Post
    Just my opinion but if I was usually around 35 pounds I would keep using the Osprey and put the money you would spend on the ZPack towards lightening up everything else first.
    Yeah, +1 on this. I've had my Arc Haul for 4+ years now, it replaced my Circuit. The Arc Haul has held up well to moderate use. I don't carry more than 30 pounds in it -- even at 32#, I can feel the whole thing sag and it's not comfortable. 28# is better for me. I did add the "lumbar pad" which is really just an additional padded part for the hip belt, that helped with comfort and support on my lower back.

What's your base weight now? I carry a max of 5+ days of food, which is about 10 pounds, and 2 liters of water is 4, so with a 14-15 pound base weight I'm under 30 and happy. To get to 35 I'd need a 20+ pound base which is too much for any UL pack in my experience.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Put the poles of the frame in pen caps to prevent poking through the webbing over time. Great product, crappy customer service when you have a product with a verified manufacturers defect.

Put the poles of the frame in pen caps to prevent poking through the webbing over time. Great product, crappy customer service when you have a product with a verified manufacturers defect.
    Both your tent and your pack were defective?

I have an Arc Haul from the first batch they produced and it is still fine. No issues, but I did need the additional lumbar pad because without it I got back pain even with a very light load.

Those frame rods are very tight in mine... don't see how one would add some sort of cap over the end. But I've not had any wear or abrasion or breach, though maybe I've just been lucky.

I would say it's a great pack for an ultra light backpacker. I just finished my nobo thru hike and when I bought my gear I was going as ultra light as I can... then I realized I'm not an ultra light backpacker at all. My arc haul was easily 50 pounds or more on a full resupply - I was afraid to weigh the darn thing after I weighed it once in GA. Considering that it lasted the entire hike with my overloading it, I would say it is a very durable pack but it wasn't to comfortable for a few days after a resupply. Still my style was to load up on a ton of food so I can stay on trail as long as possible and eat as much as I want. I never had just 1 knoor side for dinner or anything like that, like I saw so many doing.

I busted the bottom attachment for my right shoulder strap going through the Mahoosuc Notch and I rigged it up on the same connecter that bends the rod - that got me to Katahdin. I'm surprised it didn't break sooner honestly, my bag was definitely overloaded at the time and I was pushing time cause of rain moving in when it busted.

I wouldn't buy another z packs cause I like to eat a lot and not do any injustice to my body …. I also believe that if your eating well you can handle the weight and don't need a 15-20 pound pack... but to each their own. People say it's uncomfortable over 30-35 pounds but it felt like a feather to me when I'm sure it was barely under 40. Of course this is because it gradually got lighter from my full, way overloaded, resupply. For what it's worth I was 120 pounds in ME, never weighed myself before then, so I'm not some huge dude saying the weight was nothing or anything like that.

A great pack for a lightweight backpacker but consider something else if you think you might be near 35-40
    NoDoz
    nobo 2018 March 10th - October 19th
    -
    I'm just one too many mornings and 1,000 miles behind

I completely disgree. ZPacks went above and beyond when I had 3 different issues within a few months (these were issues that didn't relate to the quality of the pack) and got everything fixed within a very very reasonable time frame (only once had to pay because the issue was my fault) and this was on a pack that was 2 years old.

Having read a few of your comments about ZPacks you seem to have it in for them.

Quote Originally Posted by DuneElliot View Post
    I completely disgree. ZPacks went above and beyond when I had 3 different issues within a few months (these were issues that didn't relate to the quality of the pack) and got everything fixed within a very very reasonable time frame (only once had to pay because the issue was my fault) and this was on a pack that was 2 years old. Having read a few of your comments about ZPacks you seem to have it in for them.
    I too had VERY good customer service from Zpaks; when I stepped on my unloaded pack and broke a carbon stay, totally my fault, zpaks replaced "gratis" and quick!
    I went from an Osprey Atmos "suspension style" pack (super comfy and bomber 45-50 lbs loaded ) to my arc zip after changing out ALL my gear to UL. My old Osprey pack was 1/2 empty so I knew it was time. I purchased my Arc Zip second hand with over 1000 miles on it. I have another 1000 miles on it by now after 2.5 years of use. Sure it has a couple of cuben tape pieces on it where I may have poked a pin hole in it with something sharp but it is still in fantastic condition. I have had my pack up to 30lbs and it feels ok, way better at just a few pounds less. Love the suspension and am a big fan of the brand.

... I am sure the Haul is even more durable than my Zip. Good luck on the search for the perfect kit

Leonidas

I don't have a Haul but, it seems that this year among the YouTube vloggers that have had them, there has been a fair number of failures. The issue is, its hard to determine if it is an issue with the newer ones or there were/are less people with the older ones that are mentioning issues where I frequent. I have had a Haul on my list for a year or so but now I am seriously considering just getting a 58L Exos for winter use and being content with the lifetime warranty at a lower price point and the extra pound or so.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by Gambit McCrae View Post
    Is it as durable as a ULA pack? No way. Is it durable enough or a thru hike when used with common sense and some TLC? For sure
    I have a CDT and Circuit. The Circuit is nearly good as new nearly six years after purchase and at least 3000 trail miles with only replacement being a new hip belt which ULA generously sent to me under warranty and a tiny patch at the base of the pack using tenacious tape. ULAs are insanely durable. I ordered an Arc Blast earlier this year and didn't like it because my bear canister wouldn't pack the way it does in the Circuit and maybe I'm just set in my ways. So I returned it. My impression just from seeing it is that it isn't as durable as the ULA but I have zero trail miles to attest to its durability. With some care, I'm sure the zPacks would last a long thru hike but my expectation would be far less overall life than a ULA.

I bought an Arc Haul for my thru. My total pack weight (w food and water) varied between 26 lbs. (Feb start) and 13 lbs. (summer weight before town). I had to knot the bottom of the shoulder straps to keep them from slipping, which is not optimal, but I worked around it. Z-Packs has given me great customer service, a free belt replacement from a shelter mice invasion, free trampoline back replacement after 2200 miles for worn straps and they replaced a belt stay when I snapped it coming out of the Sierra taking off the belt for airport bag check. I took it on the JMT this year and carried about 38 lbs. at the start. We both survived.

I think the Haul is a really good lightweight pack. It has served me well for that weight range. I think if I was in the mid-30's consistently, I might go with something a little heavier. I even question whether the Osprey Atmos is a good pack when you approach 40 lbs. It is a great light weight pack, but the frame structure doesn't seem built for heavier loads. I am of the opinion that once you get around 40 lbs. and higher, the weight of your pack is not so critical, but the ability of the pack to carry a heavier load comfortably really comes into play. Everyone throws up on Gregory packs, but they have some strengths.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++