WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
    Images

found Comments below in the Herald online - sounds like this happened inside the state park borders maybe.

Roger Friend · University of Virginia
    My wife and I were getting ready to start our hike just before 8 a.m. at the Massie's Gap trail head in Grayson Highlands SP when we heard a woman call for help. She and her dog had been attacked by a bear. She had puncture wounds on her arm and her dog was scratched on its hind quarters. Another hiker and I carried the dog while my wife helped the woman back to the trail head. By the time we got to the road the rangers had arrived. Luckily some one at the trail head had cell service and had called the rangers.

cabin creek trail

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    They could have nipped this in the bud early.
    Definitely agree. Wouldn't be much, if any, of a stretch to say 'they' were/are negligent.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Fixed it for ya
    Should have been closed a long time ago. They resisted because of perceived bad pr due to it being a popular area.
    Closing the park being one option. Removing the bear being another. Perceived bad PR? or money? maybe both?

u.w.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by u.w. View Post
    Definitely agree. Wouldn't be much, if any, of a stretch to say 'they' were/are negligent.
    u.w.
    No guarantee it's the same bear with what we know right now.

And most of the time when a dog is involved a bear is acting in self-defense. A dog will quickly bring out the worst in a bear.

If the bear had intended to be predatory the woman probably wouldn't be alive

Dogs are supposed to be on 6-foot leashes in Grayson. Be interesting to see the details. Hope the woman is okay. But I wouldn't convict the bear or the park management just yet in this incident. I still fault them for not closing things down immediately when it started to prevent that bear from becoming a problem.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2018 at 13:37.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    cabin creek trail
    ? where is that? I only know of the one in Denton, NC

And most of the time when a dog is involved a bear is acting in self-defense. A dog will quickly bring out the worst in a bear.

Dogs are supposed to be on 6-foot leashes in Grayson. Be interesting to see the details. Hope the woman is okay. But I wouldn't convict the bear or the park management just yet in this incident. I still fault them for not closing things down immediately when it started to prevent that bear from becoming a problem.
    I'm curious as well. Not sure how a dog on a short leash provokes a bear.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    ? where is that? I only know of the one in Denton, NC
    it heads down hill from massie gap parking area

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    cabin creek trail
    Cabin Ridge?

Quote Originally Posted by SWODaddy View Post
    Cabin Ridge?
    Nevermind, I see now...

Daughter and I just returned from 2 night on the AT section thru Grayson Highlands. After the trip, I drove by the ranger station and learned:
    - The rangers do NOT want to discuss anything regarding the attack. I finally got one of the 3 rangers that I approached to acknowledge that a woman and her dog had an "incident" near the backpackers parking lot. When I asked what would be done about the bear, one ranger said "we have no idea which one it is". Barring no future "incidents", the AT will remain open.
    - Most if not all trails within the park were closed for a portion of Saturday
    - All trails except Cabin Creek are now open (3pm 6-17). There were at least 40 cars parked near Cox Visitor Center and numerous people walking around the meadow across from it.
    - Reported bear activity Thursday 6-14 at/near the Wise Shelter.
    - Backpackers were leaving to take the AT spur from the backpackers parking lot
    - I also spoke with 2 different couples who were camped at the horse camp just down from where the AT crosses VA 603 just north of Old Orchard Shelter. They both saw 2 bears in the horse trailer parking area.
    - Three different thru-hiking couples said they have seen 7, 9, 12 bears. A few had cubs. None were aggressive and acted as if they could care in the least if you were there.

The bottom line is this: there is a very large bear population along numerous sections of the AT, some have become very bold in their efforts to get your food sacks. It is rumored that the one at Thomas Knob has now taken 60+ sacks. The entire region around Grayson Highlands is heavily populated with black bear. I live 7 miles from the entrance to the park. My trail-cam took a pic last week of a sow with 2 cubs 1/4 mile from my house. My neighbor had juvenile visit his house last night.

Use your common sense, give them a healthy leeway and carry bear spray as a last resort.

Agreed.
    I remember when I went through Shenandoah Natl Park I got told by more than a few park employees and volunteers, more or less exactly what you said. That dogs can quickly bring out the worst in a bear. I'd never given it much thought until then, and you are one of many now that have mentioned it.
    Definitely hope the woman is all right, and also be interested to hear more info/details.
    u.w.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    Daughter and I just returned from 2 night on the AT section thru Grayson Highlands. After the trip, I drove by the ranger station and learned:
    - The rangers do NOT want to discuss anything regarding the attack. I finally got one of the 3 rangers that I approached to acknowledge that a woman and her dog had an "incident" near the backpackers parking lot. When I asked what would be done about the bear, one ranger said "we have no idea which one it is". Barring no future "incidents", the AT will remain open.
    - Most if not all trails within the park were closed for a portion of Saturday
    - All trails except Cabin Creek are now open (3pm 6-17). There were at least 40 cars parked near Cox Visitor Center and numerous people walking around the meadow across from it.
    - Reported bear activity Thursday 6-14 at/near the Wise Shelter.
    - Backpackers were leaving to take the AT spur from the backpackers parking lot
    - I also spoke with 2 different couples who were camped at the horse camp just down from where the AT crosses VA 603 just north of Old Orchard Shelter. They both saw 2 bears in the horse trailer parking area.
    - Three different thru-hiking couples said they have seen 7, 9, 12 bears. A few had cubs. None were aggressive and acted as if they could care in the least if you were there.

The bottom line is this: there is a very large bear population along numerous sections of the AT, some have become very bold in their efforts to get your food sacks. It is rumored that the one at Thomas Knob has now taken 60+ sacks. The entire region around Grayson Highlands is heavily populated with black bear. I live 7 miles from the entrance to the park. My trail-cam took a pic last week of a sow with 2 cubs 1/4 mile from my house. My neighbor had juvenile visit his house last night.

Use your common sense, give them a healthy leeway and carry bear spray as a last resort.
    I actually kind of looked for the bear at Thomas knob, hiked all over and never saw it. I camped several times at Grayson last year and never once saw a bear. Recently hiked thru from fox creek to elk garden and never saw a bear. I saw signs of bear this year but not last year (except in the deep gap area). My uncle also stated he has never actually seen a bear when camping on the trail there in the past 5 years. I do not doubt they were always there but they do seem more active than usual this year in the area. 60+ saks, WOW! The Bear is not addicted to peanut butter and poptarts☺ (carbs)
    Past the park boundary I rarely see a dog on a leash as people allow them to run loose up there.

I’m takin notes yall

When i bought a bear spray two years ago for my section hikes, people were laughing at me. Who is laughing now?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by stephanD View Post
    When i bought a bear spray two years ago for my section hikes, people were laughing at me. Who is laughing now?
    this guy.

ok, i'm not literally laughing, but i dont carry bear spray on the AT and this doesnt change that.

Not laughing because I carry it.Works on all sorts of critters,some of which might be rabid.Here in Georgia in the last month there has been a coyote attack on a local hiker and a bobcat attack on a homeowner which did not end well for either animal.The painful treatment and EXPENSE for the survivors is staggering.

Journal Entries

In reference to those who carry bear spray, be sure to check the expiration dates. Carrying an out of date spray while somewhat effective is no match to a new canister. If it's expired, your can use it to see the spray pattern and its effective range. Just don't spray it into the wind. I also carry it as a last resort, after following all the other suggested means to deter the situation.
    Blackheart

Images

Why is it that the trail always seems to have the bear problems. Using Grayson Highlands as an example why are all the bear problems on the trail and shelters and never in the family campground at the state park

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    Why is it that the trail always seems to have the bear problems. Using Grayson Highlands as an example why are all the bear problems on the trail and shelters and never in the family campground at the state park
    The "incident" with the bear, dog and woman was at the parking lot inside the park. Also, we spoke to two groups at the horse camp on VA603. One said they had 2 bears while the other group said they saw 3. They yelled at them and beat pots together. The bears just looked at them and went about wondering around the parking area. They did say that the bears did not harass their horses.

Grayson Highlands reporting on their Facebook page that the dog was off-leash.....

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++