WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Was just watching a thru-hiker video (channel is "Evan's Backpacking Videos") on YouTube and he said this bear ripped through two Ursacks (and got 4 other hangs) when he was at Thomas Knob.

Latest update on ATC site:

Problem Bear Activity - Mt. Rogers Area / Thomas Knob Shelter
    (Revised 5/24/2018) Problem bear activity has been occurring with increasing frequency at Thomas Knob Shelter in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in southwest Virginia, mile 498.5 from Springer Mountain, Georgia. On multiple occasions at the shelter and campsites within several miles of the shelter, a bear has retrieved food bags hung in trees. Hikers are discouraged from camping anywhere between Elk Garden/VA-600 and Wise Shelter unless they can use one of the following food storage facilities provided:

Thomas Knob Shelter: a food storage area is protected by a temporary electric fence, with instructions posted.
    0.25 mile north of Thomas Knob Shelter: a bear resistant food storage locker is installed within sight of the A.T.
    Rhododendron Gap: a food storage area is protected by a temporary electric fence, with instructions posted.

Images

a food storage area is protected by a temporary electric fence, with instructions posted.

and i wonder how long it will be before some morons tear this down....

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    and i wonder how long it will be before some morons tear this down....
    Or electrocute themselves.
    Blackheart

Seems to me a few hikers need to spray some bear spray in this bear's face.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    That’s my opinion as well, putting the fear of humans in them will save the species.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    this was posted on FB today via the ATC.
    "Due to an increase in bear activity near Thomas Knob Shelter — including multiple instances of campers' food being taken by a bear — two new boxes have been installed for overnight storage of hiker food. While the shelter remains open for now, hikers are highly advised to camp elsewhere if possible and to make extra effort to hang their food properly in Southwest Virginia. The entire Appalachian Trail is home to black bears, and one hiker's improperly stored food can lead to negative wildlife encounters for the hikers who follow. For more information, visit "
    Thank You, Thank You ATC for putting the bear boxes at the shelter. This is a great timely solution. Poles, cables or boxes are safe ways to keep animals from getting our food. If available hikers will use them. I was just at pass mt. hut and all hikers put there food in the metal box even in the steady rain. There was no trash n the box. I saw 14 bears in the park but none at the huts!

I live in Georgia and have done much hiking in the Nantahala's where Standing Indian Mountain is located.

The North Carolina bears are much bolder than the Georgia bears. Why?

Because in Georgia, there is a limited hunting season for the black bear. This not only culls the bears that have become accustomed to humans, but it also instills a fear of humans in the others.

In Carolina, it is a bear sanctuary, and the fear of humans is being lost.

I do not hunt. For the simple reason that I believe in eating what you kill. And I prefer cow. But I have no problem with others solving the problem.

Only GSMNP is a "bear sanctuary". They are hunted in surrounding areas, every Oct.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Only GSMNP is a "bear sanctuary". They are hunted in surrounding areas, every Oct.
    You are dead wrong. Standing Indian is most definitely a bear sanctuary.

sim.PNG

I forgot to add, culling problem bears not only makes humans safer but it also protects the bears.

Oh, forgot, you're right about that one.

What does 'bear sanctuary" mean? No hunting? I have run into bear hunters on Standing Indian Mtn as well as many other areas not far from there.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Seatbelt View Post
    What does 'bear sanctuary" mean? No hunting? I have run into bear hunters on Standing Indian Mtn as well as many other areas not far from there.

from this document (which i have not fully read just yet)

http://www.ncwildlife.org/Portals/0/..._2012-2022.pdf

One of the most important developments in the recovery of North Carolina’s black bearpopulations began in 1971 with the creation of a bear sanctuary system. Twenty-eight bearsanctuaries were established to close approximately 800,000 acres of habitat to bear hunting.The idea behind the sanctuary system was to protect core areas of habitat that encompassed therelatively small home ranges of breeding females. The females would reproduce in thesanctuaries, and bear populations would increase and expand into surrounding areas. The bearsanctuary system, which North Carolina was the first North American jurisdiction to implement,has been one of the most successful and important innovations in the history of bear managementin North America and has been a primary factor in the recovery of bear populations in this state.

Thanks for the info! When checking my journals, I will say that the bear hunters I referred to in my earlier post were mostly prior to this 2012 date.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeBill View Post
    Or electrocute themselves.
    Don't wizz on the electric fence.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0bme0JpXQUg
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Thanks for that link. I was unaware there were that many in the state.

Quote Originally Posted by fiddlehead View Post
    If I make it up there for Father's Day, I'm bringing my spray fo 'sho. I'm afraid some poor hiker is gonna attempt to defend their bag and get met by an angry bear. I hope not though.
    It is what it is.

Was 1 1/2+- mile north of Thomas Shelter on 5/24. Several people like 5 or 6 had there bear bags hung correctly and the bear climb the tree an broke the limb that was 4-5 inch thick on one of hangs. The bear did chew on my ursack. It survived but the stuff inside was crushed up. I would not stay any were close to Thomas Shelter. If you stay at the shelter use the bear box. "Now they have a nuisance bear" What do they do???

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Musky View Post
    Now they have a nuisance bear" What do they do???
    The right thing to do is close the area to camping.
    For at least two months.
    If it happens again within a year make the whole area a bear canister area

That's the right approach.

I have 100% confidence the authorities will take the wrong approach. Succumbing to public desire to be able to camp in a Scenic spot........ Devoid of that nasty wildlife. Make no mistake their actions will be solely politically motivated to appease voters that want to camp. As if tame ponies aren't enough. The ponies are not wild, they're not even feral, the proper term would be free-ranged.

If I had to guess.... They will catch the bear... Relocate it to someplace far away , too far for it to come back to they think. However when gsmnp has relocated bears, some have managed to come back to their old trouble areas, after being relocated hundreds of miles away. Hundreds of miles. I recall reading about 1, that the moment they released it, it immediately began walking back towards gsmnp.... Something like something 200 miles away. It made it back there too.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-26-2018 at 13:24.

One could argue that the right thing to do is for everyone to use canisters anywhere cables, poles or boxes are not available. Put the good of the wildlife and the hiking community before the individual desire to carry less weight.

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++