Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 167
  1. #21

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    this was posted on FB today via the ATC...


    "Due to an increase in bear activity near Thomas Knob Shelter — including multiple instances of campers' food being taken by a bear — two new boxes have been installed for overnight storage of hiker food. While the shelter remains open for now, hikers are highly advised to camp elsewhere if possible and to make extra effort to hang their food properly in Southwest Virginia. The entire Appalachian Trail is home to black bears, and one hiker's improperly stored food can lead to negative wildlife encounters for the hikers who follow. For more information, visit "

    Wow they took my advice seriously and acted very quickly lol

  2. #22

    Default

    I own a bear canister, but never used it. I'm planning to do Virginia this summer, and I seriously considering to use it for the first time, along with my bear spray. significant weight increase though.

  3. #23
    Registered User Sandy of PA's Avatar
    Join Date
    11-10-2011
    Location
    Apollo, PA
    Age
    60
    Posts
    663
    Images
    2

    Default

    Thomas Knob is very highly used by locals and distance hikers. I stayed there last June on a Sat night with over 100 of my new best friends! I carry a canister, so easy.

  4. #24
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    31,024

    Default

    don't camp any where near those damn shelters and sleep with your food and you'll be fine

  5. #25
    •Completed A.T. Section Hike GA to ME 1996 thru 2003 •Donating Member Skyline's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-08-2003
    Location
    Luray, Virginia
    Posts
    4,818
    Images
    3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    don't camp any where near those damn shelters and sleep with your food and you'll be fine
    I agree with the first part.

  6. #26
    Registered User tagg's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-03-2009
    Location
    greenwood, sc
    Age
    46
    Posts
    263

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    don't camp any where near those damn shelters and sleep with your food and you'll be fine
    That’s exactly what I did when I went through there, and you’re right...I was fine.
    -tagg

  7. #27
    Registered User
    Join Date
    05-15-2018
    Location
    Greensboro, North Carolina
    Posts
    6

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    Listed on the ATC website "Problem Bear Activity - Mt. Rogers/Thomas Knob Shelter (05/10/2018) Problem bear activity has been reported at Thomas Knob Shelter in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in southwest Virginia, mile 498.5 from Springer Mountain, Georgia."

    In reddit found this "I did an overnight up there last night. Was camping north of the shelter near the water source at the crest trail. A guy from the ATC was going around the sites warning people about the problem bear so I made sure I had an extra good hang.

    About 1 in the morning I woke up to bear horns and people yelling "no bear, get on bear" a few campsites away. That seemed to scare it off but I did hear the horn again about an hour later. Needless to say I didn't sleep very much.
    Long time lurker here....just made an account to say that was my reddit post! But yeah....tons of people were camping near me with terrible hangs. I heard the ridge runner telling a guy close by he had a poor hang because it was literally 4 feet from his tent and 4 feet off the ground. The guy said he was used to problem bears since he does a lot of camping in the Smokies. Sigh.

  8. #28
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,733
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by dankwizard22 View Post
    Long time lurker here....just made an account to say that was my reddit post! But yeah....tons of people were camping near me with terrible hangs. I heard the ridge runner telling a guy close by he had a poor hang because it was literally 4 feet from his tent and 4 feet off the ground. The guy said he was used to problem bears since he does a lot of camping in the Smokies. Sigh.
    One of the many reasons I stopped using bear hangs years ago. After trying several other methods I’ve been surprisingly happy with carrying a BV500.

    A87D203F-5B23-41FA-BFAD-F5FFEB79AEB9.jpeg
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  9. #29
    Registered User
    Join Date
    07-21-2014
    Location
    Bar Harbor, Maine
    Posts
    570

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    One of the many reasons I stopped using bear hangs years ago. After trying several other methods I’ve been surprisingly happy with carrying a BV500.

    A87D203F-5B23-41FA-BFAD-F5FFEB79AEB9.jpeg
    This really needs to be made into a wall calendar!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  10. #30
    Registered User JPritch's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by KCNC View Post
    Sunday night he made off with 4 bags, all hung PCT-style. He climbed the tree and broke off the limb. (One of the 4 was my son.) Fortunately he was able to recover all of his kitchen gear, so he just had to hike 2 miles for breakfast after cleaning up the mess.
    That was my issue, I had it high enough and far out enough, and did a PCT style hang....but the branch itself looked weak as $hit and I just knew a determined bear could pounce on it a few times and knock the entire branch down. I was just lucky that night.

    ...but good to see bear boxes put in up there. Great solution, assuming people use them. That area has absolutely gorgeous camping/views, so I understand its popularity.
    "In every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks"....John Muir

  11. #31

    Default

    Hopefully the bear boxes don't become trash receptacles.

  12. #32
    Registered User
    Join Date
    11-20-2002
    Location
    Damascus, Virginia
    Age
    59
    Posts
    31,024

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Hopefully the bear boxes don't become trash receptacles.
    oh they will. count on that

  13. #33
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-19-2005
    Location
    Knoxville, TN
    Posts
    2,671

    Default

    oh they will. count on that


    yeah....

    thats pretty much a guarantee.........

  14. #34
    Registered User carouselambra's Avatar
    Join Date
    08-29-2012
    Location
    Raleigh, North Carolina
    Posts
    87
    Images
    32

    Default

    I occasionally browse trail journals and saw a post related to this.

    http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/590895
    Snippet:
    Scissors packed up and we headed for Thomas Knob Shelter. It was a smooth climb to the shelter. When we arrived Pumpkin Spice, Bandito, Chill, and Poncho were there. They mentioned that a bear was trying to break into the bear locker all night long. It even tipped over the locker and tried to dig under it. There was also the remains of a bear bag with empty food packages all over the ground. The owner just left the mess there without packing it out.

  15. #35
    MuddyWaters's Avatar
    Join Date
    05-05-2011
    Location
    state of confusion
    Posts
    9,200
    Journal Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Hopefully the bear boxes don't become trash receptacles.
    They become places where selfish lazy people leave things that they convince themselves "others will want"
    "Inevitably, a long distance hiker must choose between travelling light, and not travelling at all." - Earl V. Shaffer

  16. #36
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Join Date
    03-05-2010
    Location
    Connecticut
    Age
    37
    Posts
    6,733
    Images
    78

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Heliotrope View Post
    This really needs to be made into a wall calendar!


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I wish I could take credit for it, but I stole the photo from Jester. If he’d had taken a photo of all the terrible bear bags on his 2015 hike, he probably could have made a page-a-day calendar.

    http://nighthikingtomars.blogspot.co...ppy_3.html?m=1
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

  17. #37

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    They become places where selfish lazy people leave things that they convince themselves "others will want"
    "hmmm if I can get enough of these bar wrappers I can make a groundsheet."

  18. #38
    Registered User JPritch's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    They become places where selfish lazy people leave things that they convince themselves "others will want"
    Like the used boots and empty liquor bottle in Thomas Knob shelter last year. Because hikers really need those.
    Quote Originally Posted by carouselambra View Post
    Scissors packed up and we headed for Thomas Knob Shelter. It was a smooth climb to the shelter. When we arrived Pumpkin Spice, Bandito, Chill, and Poncho were there. They mentioned that a bear was trying to break into the bear locker all night long. It even tipped over the locker and tried to dig under it. There was also the remains of a bear bag with empty food packages all over the ground. The owner just left the mess there without packing it out.
    Looks like it worked! It will at least spare the food of anybody using it, but I still think the bear has plenty of options up there with all the campsites for the next .5 mile N of Thomas Knob.
    "In every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks"....John Muir

  19. #39
    Registered User wolfywolfy's Avatar
    Join Date
    06-02-2017
    Location
    middle of nowhere, North Carolina
    Age
    53
    Posts
    55
    Images
    2

    Default

    I plan to hike from fox creek to Damascus very soon and think I will just hike thru this area and camp elsewhere.

  20. #40
    Registered User JPritch's Avatar
    Join Date
    02-03-2017
    Location
    Lynchburg, VA
    Age
    40
    Posts
    333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    I plan to hike from fox creek to Damascus very soon and think I will just hike thru this area and camp elsewhere.
    Yes, but, that stretch up there is GORGEOUS and so are the campsites. It really is hard to pass up if you can snag a pad on top of that ridge.
    "In every walk with Nature, one receives far more than he seeks"....John Muir

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •