WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Jesshiggins View Post
    OMG, I'm quite new in hiking and such kind of stories make me give everything up. Hope everyone is alive. You guys are truly brave!
    Don’t let all this talk scare you away. This is all about a couple of rare and isolated incidences.

Yes it does happen, but realize the bears have no interest in you, just your food - just like every other animal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I think Jesshiggins is being sarcastic...

Images

Default Update

Update: I stayed at Thomas Knob on 6/1/2018 and everyone there used the box with the electric fence around it and no one had any problems (even those in tents). The campers at Rhod Gap however had their food taken and the electric fence there is NOT working. I went back up there on 6/5/2018 for the day and found where the bear has been clawing at some stumps, marking tree's and so on. No one reported the bear creating any problems other than stealing food bags in trees. They need more boxes at Rhod gap and the wise shelter and then if everyone would use them I think the bear would move on. But considering the bear has an AYCE every night he has no reason to leave. I also heard thru trail rumor that someone had found his den and it had Hiker trash all around it, what a sight that must be. On a good note I saw not one piece of trash anywhere except in fire pits, that was a first. No one is taking it serious from what I can tell and I have a feeling it is already a very fat well fed bear and very much at home now. He can get his fill of berries there in the upcoming week and never leave. I am seriously considering buying a bear canister myself now.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    . No one is taking it serious from what I can tell and I have a feeling it is already a very fat well fed bear and very much at home now. He can get his fill of berries there in the upcoming week and never leave.
    the bear is doing its thing, there's a people problem.

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    But it's a bear problem now too. People are undoubtedly the cause but the bear is now a problem and will probably be put down. Putting it off isn't helping.

Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Joe View Post
    But it's a bear problem now too. People are undoubtedly the cause but the bear is now a problem and will probably be put down. Putting it off isn't helping.
    I agree that this should have already been dealt with. So many encounters could easily lead to someone being mauled. I live 6 miles from Elk Garden. My daughter and I are heading out for 2 nights next Friday. My plan was to take the AT down to Laurel Valley Rd/603. Might re-think those plans.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatchee View Post
    I agree that this should have already been dealt with. So many encounters could easily lead to someone being mauled. I live 6 miles from Elk Garden. My daughter and I are heading out for 2 nights next Friday. My plan was to take the AT down to Laurel Valley Rd/603. Might re-think those plans.
    I have a friend going on a group hike and they plan to camp at a site away from, though I don't think too far from, this shelter. The problem is at this point you can do everything right and still have an incident.

Images

Default take away from talking with a ranger

My take away from talking with a ranger in the area was
    1. The bears in the area are very small (He had no comment that I heard the problem bear was 350lbs)
    2. Bears are shy and will run away
    3. You are wasting your time, irrational, if you are afraid of them

I saw a father and his two young boys under age 12 camping in the area and also some youth groups up there last weekend. I am not saying one way or another if it is safe I am just relaying the information I have.

Quote Originally Posted by wolfywolfy View Post
    My take away from talking with a ranger in the area was
    1. The bears in the area are very small (He had no comment that I heard the problem bear was 350lbs)
    2. Bears are shy and will run away
    3. You are wasting your time, irrational, if you are afraid of them
    I saw a father and his two young boys under age 12 camping in the area and also some youth groups up there last weekend. I am not saying one way or another if it is safe I am just relaying the information I have.
    Well this bear is reportedly not small and certainly isn't running away.

Images

I added some photo's under my profile

Quote Originally Posted by martinb View Post
    Sounds like people are doing their thing too...
    It is what it is.

Here's the latest update from the ATC website today:

Southwest Virginia
    Bear Warning - Mt. Rogers Area / Thomas Knob Shelter
    (Revised 6/1/2018) Problematic bear activity has been occurring with increasing frequency at Thomas Knob Shelter in the Mount Rogers National Recreation Area in southwest Virginia, mile 498.5 from Springer Mountain, Georgia. On multiple occasions at the shelter and campsites within several miles of the shelter, a bear has retrieved food bags hung in trees. Hikers are discouraged from camping anywhere between Elk Garden/VA-600 and Wise Shelter unless they can use one of the following food storage facilities provided:

• Thomas Knob Shelter: a food storage area is protected by a temporary electric fence, with instructions posted.
    • Rhododendron Gap: a food storage area is protected by a temporary electric fence, with instructions posted.

This is my point.

Images

Found this in Reddit

"gsmom10[S] 2 points 2 hours ago

“Grayson Highlands State Park - All hiking trails are closed due to aggressive bear activity. Hikers on the AT approaching park areas from Elk Garden side should exercise extreme caution”.

Also on the VA DCR site.

Images

i cant confirm it easily right now but apparently a woman got hurt by a bear today.............she was walking a dog and it provoked the bear and then the lady tried to get in the middle of it......sent her to the hospital....

Images

Top stories
    All trails closed at Grayson Highlands Park due to bear activity
    WCYB · 9 hours ago
    Grayson Highlands State Park trails closed until further notice 'due to bear activity'
    WJHL-TV News Channel 11 · 10 hours ago

thomas knob shelter is not closed

They could have nipped this in the bud early.

Journal Entries

They should have nipped this in the bud early.
    Fixed it for ya

Should have been closed a long time ago. They resisted because of perceived bad pr due to it being a popular area.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 06-17-2018 at 11:23.

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast
++ New Posts ++