WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default anyone try out the gregory optic packs

Hello,

Has anyone tried out the new Gregory Optic packs?

The belt looks a lot better than the new osprey exos packs. Also like the suspension, and the weight.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated!!

Best,
    Floyd

Never got hands-on on this pack, but by having a look at the fotos I belive to detect a few issues my wife's Gregory Stout has, too:

- The lid (or call it the brain) is too small to cover the whole loading area of the main compartment, if the pack is quite full
    - The lid doesn't cover the mesh outer compartment, so debris could fall in / small items out
    - The buckle on this outer compartment is, hmmm, kind of need-to-get-used-to-it
    - The zippers on the brain are of unprotected, open types, there's not even a sewn fold over it

Other possible issues:
    - On my wife's Stout, there is a very special lock on the drawstring of the main compartment that broke after a few days of use only.
    - The pack is not waterproof in any way, unless you're using the rain cover it gets soaked like it were of plain cloth

I got to play with the optic a few weeks ago and I was impressed. I rag on Gregory a lot due to the weight of most of their stuff but the optic is a legit lightweight option.

It’s light but comfy. I like the features, the brain is pretty minimal; but I usually don’t bother with a brain so, whatevs.

I enjoyed the cushion on the shoulder straps and hip belt. I’m surprised there isn’t more hooplah going around with this pack - it’s a really light pack from a big box manufacturer to rival the exos/eja but not many people are talking about it.

I’m not really sure what Leo is taking about and his comparisons to the Stout don’t really seem relevant.

Thanks guys for you information about the pack.

I have found very little information about this pack.

I'm trying to find a pack that is lighter than mine ( osprey atmos 65 pre AG) I love it but it is too big for most trips unless it is winter, plus I want to lighten up.

I am not rough on my gear and I take pretty good care of it maintenance wise, however when hiking there are things that come up where you want some durability. The last thing I want to worry about is my pack. I tried the ULA circut and it was not for me.

I'm also not surprised that this is flying under the radar compared to the new Osprey/EjA in most brick and mortar stores, I have found them not the gregory.

What drew me to this pack is that it has a full hip belt, side pockets. It has a frame and that the weight is low ( at least low enough for me)

Also, it does not seem fiddily..... if that makes sense.

Thank you for taking the time and your information is greatly appreciated!!!!
    Best
    Floyd

Leonidas

Pack is new and as mentioned, most people think of heavy when they hear Gregory. So until some people get out there and take a chance and review the pack, not much info to be had without dropping coin.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Sectionhiker hasn't reviewed it yet??

EDIT: Holy guacamole! I swear I didn't know, but YES he has!

EDIT #2: he calls it "ultralight" at 40-45oz (!) ..... 'scuse me Lucy but that ain't ultralight.
    Last edited by cmoulder; 05-16-2018 at 12:17.

Floyd;

I think for most- if it ain't broke don't fix it. Many like Osprey packs, suspensions, sizing, etc.

So coming from an Osprey... you might want to stay with one. But this does look like a capable alternative to consider. Gregory is certainly a quality company but everyone is a collective 'distant second' compared to Osprey. Nothing jumps off the page on this pack to me. Looks a bit like a 'me too'.

That said... Osprey seems to have bailed out of the middle a bit and maybe that's where this pack fits.
    They did the Levity, dulled down the Exos a bit... but then you just leap to the AG series. This Gregory might fit as that 'little bit more' than the Exos without going full nutso on the AG packs if looking for a bit of suspension.

Course many here would say that's also the slot that ULA tends to fall in too.

Personally- if you're getting into the lower weight loads that would drive you to a Zpacks arc series... 35L commercial options are a viable alternative.

Osprey has a hole in the line there this year.
    They don't have a 38L Levity.
    They dumbed down the 38L exos. Last year it was a hair over 2lbs (just under with brain removed)... now it's at 2.5 lbs. (dead even with Gregory Optic 48)

The Levity 45 isn't that exciting I'd ditch my 2017 exos 38L.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...LON33_754.html'

The Talon 33 (or 44L) is still a decent, respectable off the shelf pack if you can walk away from the airspeed frame concept.
    It does have ventilation and a semi-rigid frame sheet at a decent weight. It could be considered in the mix.

The 33L (and big exterior mesh back pocket) makes it pretty easy to pack without as much diligence as you might need to get to 25L.
    It's an easy enough grab, stuff and go size for long weekends and there's always a little room left fer a bottle of whiskey or last minute addition.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product...ITE26_574.html

That looked mildly interesting as a lightweight (for a full ventilated frame) affordable, off the shelf summer pack.
    Takes a bit of care... but in high summer an Air pad and UL synthetic quilt mean you've got more volume to spare than you think.
    Last edited by Just Bill; 05-16-2018 at 13:02.

Quote Originally Posted by Shrewd View Post
    I’m not really sure what Leo is taking about and his comparisons to the Stout don’t really seem relevant.
    I should have added:
    "If this Optic is made similar to the Stout, and from the fotos it looks like that, you should be aware of the possible issues".

If you don't care your pack not being waterproof, skip that.
    If you don't care the back mesh compartment being completely open on top, skip that.
    Both points provide serious issues on my wife's Stout.
    (The main reason she still loves her Stout is, the extra-wide hipbelt is hugging her hips perfectly)

++ New Posts ++