Quote Originally Posted by dcdennis View Post
what is the point of this thread?
A bored guy was reading trail journals and choose to make an observation.
Other bored people agreed or disagreed with that observation.

There was a little 'back in my day' and 'get off my lawn' sentiments tossed about with a few HYOH's tossed in to ease tensions.
Some real weirdos went off on their own tangents.

It's the internet. There is no point.
We all wish we were hiking. This will have to do in the meantime.

Course perhaps it's not the internet... as Nessmuk noted the point about 130 years ago...

"I have found that nearly all who have a real love of nature and out-of-door camp-life, spend a good deal of time and talk in planning future trips, or discussing the trips and pleasures gone by, but still dear to memory."

With a large majority of prospective tourists and outers, "camping out" is a leading factor in the summer vacation. And during the long winter months they are prone to collect in little knots and talk much of camps, fishing, hunting, and "roughing it." The last phrase is very popular and always cropping out in the talks on matters pertaining to a vacation in the woods. I dislike the phrase. We do not go to the green woods and crystal waters to rough it, we go to smooth it. We get it rough enough at home; in towns and cities; in shops, offices, stores, banks—anywhere that we may be placed—with the necessity always present of being on time and up to our work; of providing for the dependent ones; of keeping up, catching up, or getting left.

As for the few fortunate ones who have no call to take a hand in any strife or struggle, who not only have all the time there is, but a great deal that they cannot dispose of with any satisfaction to themselves or anybody else—I am not writing for them; but only to those of the world's workers who go, or would like to go, every summer to the woods. And to these I would say, don't rough it; make it as smooth, as restful and pleasurable as you can.