WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Ouachita Trail Trip Report

So I ended up hiking the Ouachita Trail in April and wrote up a trip report. Overall this is a great "beginner Thru" with the only major need being paying attention to water sources.

Journal:
    http://www.trailjournals.com/journal/entry/588706

Logistical notes:
    -Water can be an issue. I was lucky and ended up with plenty. It also has a high mineral content. Sawyer started slowing down (before I lost it) after 3 days and Katadyn pump was almost not useful after a week.
    -Travel to the west terminus can be difficult. I wanted to end in Little Rock to ensure I could make a flight to work. There are no rental cars nearby or airports. Closest I did was Fort Smith, AR then shuttled.
    -Shuttles: would highly recommend Michael of Ouachita Trail Guide. A cheaper option would be The Blue Bell Cafe in Story, AR. They will pick you up at either terminus.
    -Resupply: you kind of have to do it nearly half way at Story, AR. Blue Bell Cafe is 5 miles south and they will even pick you up. Great food there. You can just wiggle by with a resupply (not TP) there, but Mount Ida 14 miles south will get you everything you need.
    -Cell service: basically the whole way excluding valleys you will have it (not in the town of Story though). At least with AT&T.
    -You'll hear a lot about ticks. Locals say they don't really come out until May. I bumped into a fair amount easterly, but most were concentrated in the last 30 miles to Little Rock.

It was pretty. No aggressive elevation changes, lots of shelters, great if you like mountain tops and saddles, pretty secluded.

Thanks for posting. I once looked at this trail about 10 years ago when looking at info on the Ozarks Highland trail. If I find myself in the area, I'll definitely have to try it.

++ New Posts ++