WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Too early for Northville Placid trail?

I’ve all ready bin dealing with black flys . Would love to hike it before school is out .

Thanks

Three of us did a thru last year in early May. We liked it so much we set up for a repeat this year. We did not start. We wanted the entire thing and from the info I had it sounded like it would be tough. The snow fields and mono rail ice trail in places, the fact the none of the trail maintainers had been out clearing blow downs, the majority of the lakes were still iced in and snow was forecast so we canceled. Oh and some blackfly activity south toward Northville. But it could have changed. Today was our planned travel day back home. Go look on the ADK forum and there is a sub forum for the NPT. See what the latest reports of snow, mud, ice and bugs are. Good luck! Its such an awesome and under rated trail. A short window of guessing required to hit the Spring window of opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Two Tents View Post
    Three of us did a thru last year in early May. We liked it so much we set up for a repeat this year. We did not start. We wanted the entire thing and from the info I had it sounded like it would be tough. The snow fields and mono rail ice trail in places, the fact the none of the trail maintainers had been out clearing blow downs, the majority of the lakes were still iced in and snow was forecast so we canceled. Oh and some blackfly activity south toward Northville. But it could have changed. Today was our planned travel day back home. Go look on the ADK forum and there is a sub forum for the NPT. See what the latest reports of snow, mud, ice and bugs are. Good luck! Its such an awesome and under rated trail. A short window of guessing required to hit the Spring window of opportunity.
    Thanks for the reply . What map did u use if any ?

thom

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Thanks for the reply . What map did u use if any ?
    NatGeo now has a dedicated "Northville Placid Trail" map that shows all the new sections except for the recent reroute near Plumley's Landing. I can also vouch for the mileage table on the nptrail.org web site since it's from my own GPS. CalTopo.com and waymarkedtrails.org also have reasonably accurate routings for the NPT for the same reason.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

As Great Eastern Trail for a decade now has been excluded from any thought of entering the Adirondack Park by bureaucratic fiat, a mod should probably move this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by ki0eh View Post
    As Great Eastern Trail for a decade now has been excluded from any thought of entering the Adirondack Park by bureaucratic fiat, a mod should probably move this thread.
    I missed the joke, obviously, but what the heck does this mean?

A link or some context is needed here.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    I missed the joke, obviously, but what the heck does this mean?

A link or some context is needed here.
    The OP put this thread in the 'Great Eastern Trail' forum, and the NPT is no part of the GET, that's all.

Boy oh boy ! Axe grinders are everywhere . Hope I don’t end up in Hell for my mistake ;0)

thom

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cheyou View Post
    Boy oh boy ! Axe grinders are everywhere . Hope I don’t end up in Hell for my mistake
    It's no skin off my nose - I was happy to answer your question, such as I might, wherever it was posted. I very seldom have a fire on trail, and when I do it's with dead wood that I can break up by hand, so no need to grind an axe.

NPT is a great trail. Have a great hike!

OMG!!!!!!

well, technically NPT is a great Eastern trail, isn't it?

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Oh, one more thing, you might want to ask about current conditions over in the ADK Forum http://www.adkforum.com/forumdisplay.php?f=72

I haven't been up that way in a while, don't have good current information. From what it's like around here and over in the Helderbergs, I imagine that it's probably still very wet, but I don't know if there are bridges out or similar issues, and I don't know whether the West Stony Creek ford is passable yet;. (Earlier in the spring, I heard that it was definitely NOT passable.)

++ New Posts ++