WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Cosmo, I am going to pass on the souvenir and please just consider me another deleted statistic. Wasn't one of my better moments anyway.

I compliment you on your ability to relate the intention of the cameras to ascertain statistical information on trail usage in the area. Also you admitting personally of your uneasy feeling about the cameras being put in place. I think from the flavor of the posts here most of us would agree that some signage be put in place explaining the intentions of the cameras would be appropriate. I think most hikers/people would likely find that acceptable when given a rational explanation. Please consider that request. Thx.

Twilight

Cosmo, I am going to pass on the souvenir and please just consider me another deleted statistic. Wasn't one of my better moments anyway.

I compliment you on your ability to relate the intention of the cameras to ascertain statistical information on trail usage in the area. Also you admitting personally of your uneasy feeling about the cameras being put in place. I think from the flavor of the posts here most of us would agree that some signage be put in place explaining the intentions of the cameras would be appropriate. I think most hikers/people would likely find that acceptable when given a rational explanation. Please consider that request. Thx.

Twilight

Journal Entries

I used to build trail cameras and run several of them on my hunting lease much of the year. It's honestly more fun to take pictures of animals than it is to hunt them. I've got all kind of pictures of weird stuff you never expect to see in the woods. From a emu standing on top of a corn feeder, to a coyote with a fawns leg in its mouth, to trespassers.

As part of this I used to frequent an online trail cam forum. that's where I learned how to build the cameras i built, how to convert them to infrared , where to buy the control boards.etc. I was building way better cameras then you could buy at the time. With exceptional battery life. They could stay out for almost a month and take hundreds of pictures on 2 AA nicads.

Point is , it was evident a lot of people get cameras stolen off a private property and public property. Even when locked to the trees and moderately camoflauged. And if people couldn't steal it, they destroyed it so they could get the memory card out.

People really just do not like having their picture taken . An agency should definitely put a sign on it stating what it's for.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-16-2018 at 20:55.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I found a couple behind my house on some of our private land last year. As it turns out some neighbors were hunting on the land, which I don't mind in the least, but since they didn't have the decency to let us know they were putting up game cameras and a tree stand, I figured they were fair game for me. So I pulled them down, downloaded the images they captured, mostly not very exciting, a few deer. I deleted the pictures of me coming up onto the cameras, then uploaded some sasquatch and bear pictures and put them back.

So, now I recommend carrying an SD card reader that works with your phone. Keep a few pictures on your phone that will make you laugh to think about the camera owner seeing them when they download their camera. Then make sure to have some fun whenever you come upon one without a sign that tells you it's legit and not just some random hunter or curious person taking your picture without permission.

Go out and hike and have fun!! Mess with peoples minds and have even more fun.
    Now that was funny....

Quote Originally Posted by Deadeye View Post
    I've seen a few. I just smile at them. Considered going back and forth in front of it all day long, or doing a one-man rendition of Lawrence of Arabia, just for kicks.
    You can set off the camera with motion.
    But it only takes pictures when the time delay is hit.
    Maybe 30 seconds between each.

I keep an RV in a storage lot.....just an old field with a fence around it and a padlock on the gate....low tech.
    Some time ago I noticed the owner put up one of these cams looking towards the gate......I contacted the owner just to make sure it was him....and I thought great, a little more 'security'. No problem....

Some time later I notice one up in the shadows of a barn in the back of the lot.... facing the rear of where my RV was parked at the time......

Then I remembered
    going back there to take a leak when nobody was around....

I recon he deleted those pictures pretty fast....at least I would hope so! I know I would have, and tried really hard to erase the image from my memory.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++