WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Have you ever seen these on the trail?

I have been section hiking on the AT for a long time and have seen how things have changed, especially with technology. But, I came across these20180511_095711.jpglo(first one I didn't get picture of) on a recent hike in MA. One at the intersection with Kay Wood shelter the other near the road crossing at Blotz RD. Both set at a level to record hikers. I wasn't really crazy about finding the first one and really found it disturbing about the second one. Just wonder8how others felt about these or thoughts of what they were for.

Twilight

Hunter's game cam. But who put it there and why... dunno.

One would expect that gummint types might put up a sign explaining that they're just trying to get a head count for trail use.

I found a couple behind my house on some of our private land last year. As it turns out some neighbors were hunting on the land, which I don't mind in the least, but since they didn't have the decency to let us know they were putting up game cameras and a tree stand, I figured they were fair game for me. So I pulled them down, downloaded the images they captured, mostly not very exciting, a few deer. I deleted the pictures of me coming up onto the cameras, then uploaded some sasquatch and bear pictures and put them back.

So, now I recommend carrying an SD card reader that works with your phone. Keep a few pictures on your phone that will make you laugh to think about the camera owner seeing them when they download their camera. Then make sure to have some fun whenever you come upon one without a sign that tells you it's legit and not just some random hunter or curious person taking your picture without permission.

Go out and hike and have fun!! Mess with peoples minds and have even more fun.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    Mess with peoples minds and have even more fun.
    I've been looking for an SD card reader for my iPhone for archiving/sending my photos (vacation, etc.) But now I have even more motivation.

I found a couple behind my house on some of our private land last year. As it turns out some neighbors were hunting on the land, which I don't mind in the least, but since they didn't have the decency to let us know they were putting up game cameras and a tree stand, I figured they were fair game for me. So I pulled them down, downloaded the images they captured, mostly not very exciting, a few deer. I deleted the pictures of me coming up onto the cameras, then uploaded some sasquatch and bear pictures and put them back.

So, now I recommend carrying an SD card reader that works with your phone. Keep a few pictures on your phone that will make you laugh to think about the camera owner seeing them when they download their camera. Then make sure to have some fun whenever you come upon one without a sign that tells you it's legit and not just some random hunter or curious person taking your picture without permission.

Go out and hike and have fun!! Mess with peoples minds and have even more fun.
    Now that was funny....

The ATC or GATC had one located inside a birdhouse directly on the trail just north of the Springer parking lot a few years ago. I am assuming it was used to try and track the number of hikers starting.

Just remember where these are on June 21st.

Yet another reason to get far off the trail when digging a cat hole.

Nah if they want to see something let them SEE something

Images

I saw one near Wind Road north of Pearisburg a few years ago. It had a sign attached that it was a university study of wildlife.

Also there was one at Cosby Shelter last year when it was closed due to bear activity. It also had a sign attached by the National Park Service not to disturb.

Wasn't there just a shooting in GA, not AT related iirc, and they caught the shooter via some pics on a trail cam? I think these are more common than you'd think.

I have seen 1 or 2....always a full moon when I pass by them...
    Trail Miles: 4,927.6
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 0.0
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

I don't think I would have been so disturbed by the cameras had there been some signage about intended purpose. But not seeing anything and the way the cameras were positioned were to record who's coming down the trail. The camera at the Kay Wood shelter intersection I was able to rationalize and say maybe it's there to record who's going in and out shelter since its only .3 mile from a road. But, when I ran in to the other camera a few miles a way at Blotz RD, that just didn't feel right.

Twilight

Images

Just Igame gamera not a very good way to count hikers.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

You do realize that when you are outside, particularly on public land, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy? Someone can also walk by and snap a photo of you and there's not much you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    You do realize that when you are outside, particularly on public land, you have no reasonable expectation of privacy? Someone can also walk by and snap a photo of you and there's not much you can do about it.
    I agree. They could be for research purposes and putting signage may draw attention to them and invite vandalism. They could be hunters if on public hunting land. I have a couple on my property, one along my drive and another in a remote field. I use them to monitor unwanted visitors and trespassers.
    More walking, less talking.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Yeah, but I'd still be creeped out if some guy was covered in camo hiding behind a tree and taking my picture which is pretty much what these game cameras are.

If they don't have any ownership and/or contact info on them, I assume they are fair game to screw with. . . not to steal mind you, not do damage, and not to delete pictures (other than pictures of me) off of. But sure as heck to screw around with, cover up, turn off, download pictures from, upload pictures to, flash my bare ass at or whatever. If the owner doesn't have the decency or sense of responsibility to share their contact info, the camera has no right to be their anonymously taking pictures!!

Wouldn't it be cool if there were cameras on the trail with web sites listed on them showing the actual wildlife (not identifiable people) pictures so we could all share in the photography bounty of an area we visited? I'd go for that.

They are cameras from the local club. The one at Warner Hill was tampered with, despite having the owner's name and phone number engraved on it.

They are providing important information on the actual number of hikers on the Trail and entering/leaving the campsite. We'll use this info in figuring out where to put our club resources (do we have enough tentsites at Kay Wood, for instance). Much better than guessing, or from sporadic reports from Ridgerunners. We don't keep the image files, they are erased as soon as we make the count. We have no need for any data other than numbers of hikers on a given day and their direction. Camera is not placed in any campsites--ever.

Definitely, we should have provided an info tag on the units and will do so on our next visit. FYI similar cameras are currently installed on the Mass Pike footbridge by a local conservation organization to document it as a wildlife corridor. They are clearly labeled.

We share the counts with our state and federal partners--and anyone else who wants it. PM me and I'll share a google doc with the current data if you are interested.

Cosmo

Yeah, but I'd still be creeped out if some guy was covered in camo hiding behind a tree and taking my picture which is pretty much what these game cameras are.

If they don't have any ownership and/or contact info on them, I assume they are fair game to screw with. . . not to steal mind you, not do damage, and not to delete pictures (other than pictures of me) off of. But sure as heck to screw around with, cover up, turn off, download pictures from, upload pictures to, flash my bare ass at or whatever. If the owner doesn't have the decency or sense of responsibility to share their contact info, the camera has no right to be their anonymously taking pictures!!

Wouldn't it be cool if there were cameras on the trail with web sites listed on them showing the actual wildlife (not identifiable people) pictures so we could all share in the photography bounty of an area we visited? I'd go for that.

Journal Entries
    Images

In my opinion, placing a hidden camera in the woods (public property) in places that people are likely to congregate is wrong. Very wrong.

Especially when the camera is placed with the express intent to photograph people who are likely to be wholey unaware of the camera’s presence.

In my opinion, it hardly matters if the camera was placed with good intentions — though I would probably be OK with law enforcement doing this in any number number of scenarios.

Again, just one opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post
    They are cameras from the local club. . . They are providing important information on the actual number of hikers on the Trail and entering/leaving the campsite. We'll use this info in figuring out where to put our club resources . . .
    Personally, I think that is awesome. I'll still upload some bigfoot pictures onto it if it isn't tagged with owner info. But thanks, really, for you contribution to our community!!
    Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    In my opinion, placing a hidden camera in the woods (public property) in places that people are likely to congregate is wrong. Very wrong. . . — though I would probably be OK with law enforcement doing this in any number number of scenarios. . .
    All I can say is if it is a law enforcement camera, it better be tagged with owner information or it's still fair game in my book.

And, in the end, as creepy as hidden cameras feel, there really isn't a lot of harm that can come of them. If someone photographs me taking a dump or doing other private, maybe embarrassing type things, and I never know it's done or what the photographer is doing with those images in the privacy of his or her home, it really doesn't affect me. And, if the images ever go public without my permission, the photographer would be in serious legal trouble and I might make a little spare money to support my next backpacking trip.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++