WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by LandonBarnes View Post
    Has anybody hiked in the Adirondack High Peaks and can say how Katahdin compares? I've been up about 20 of the High Peaks and I'm just curious how this would compare, especially because it seems like a tough hike.
    I've done a fair number of hikes in the DAKs. Katahdin is pretty special in my opinion. Especially from out-of-the-way sites like Chimney Pond. And of course the Knife Edge.

Journal Entries
    Images

I climber K last week with a day pack for the 1st time. Took @ 3 hours to reach the summit. I took Abol down, what a mess that trail is up or down!! Ranger told me the only reason that trail still exists is because it was the original trail Thoreau took when he 1st summited and found the spring up there. K is a Fun Hike with Spectacular views and cloud formations!!
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Excell View Post
    Valid points. There are many obstacles already. haha. I hope the best for those that face these challenges. I will still be hiking up with my pack though.
    I encountered several thru's up at the sign last week and some did have their full packs, however, if anyone is planning on doing that, it would be worthwhile to see if you can leave a food drop at ABOL for heading into the 100 mile wilderness and only take lunch and snacks up to K, while stashing a days worth at the ranger station for the 10ish miles to ABOL. You only need 1-1.5 liters of water to climb K since water is abundant and then Thoreau spring is a solid source a mile from the sign.
    On a side note, I did encounter a sobo heading down K last week & wished him well since it a VERY late start!! He said this will be his 2nd sobo thru, so I assume he knows what he's getting into.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    You only need 1-1.5 liters of water to climb K since water is abundant and then Thoreau spring is a solid source a mile from the sign.
    I'm only replying for the sake of avoiding the case of the person who may take this as their main recommendation about climbing Katahdin.

Do not always count on Thoreau spring being a solid source. And the abundance of water flowing on trail below treeline is also run off from the abundance of toilet paper, urine and poop within whiffing distance of the trail. There's no water above treeline until Thoreau spring, which I've seen dry at least 5 of my 30+ times up there. I suppose if you ignore LNT and trample the habitat protected areas roped off with signs politely asking you not to disturb the area, you could probably dig the right spot until you strike water. Maybe.

Especially on hot days, leaving Katahdin Stream with only 1-1.5 liters could be a serious mistake for some folks.

Quote Originally Posted by wornoutboots View Post
    Thoreau spring is a solid source a mile from the sign.
    It's seldom more than a mud puddle.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

I agree, Thoreau Spring can become a mud puddle later in the summer hiking season after a stretch of dry days. Nothing I would want to drink from. The first reliable water is way down a hot dry stretch of exposed trail in hot day.

Journal Entries
    Images

Sorry, I should have mentioned "Current Condition" Man that water is Cold & Tasty!!!!

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++