WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Holy snakes! Are you ****ting me. Am I supposed to have something in my first aid kit if I get bit by one of those things? And just as scary I assume plan on bears right? Like I need to buy some food hanging kit thingy magigi and use it religiously right? Or is it like you can keep your food in your tent and probably not get eaten alive? Finally no way I need one of those mosquito hats right? I’m bringing a tent but might cowboy it when ever possible. Ok I lied more stupid stupid bug question then shame me forever, I don’t really need to have insect repellent cloths or spray my tent or pack with some crazy bug stuff right? Just bring a little deet right? Anyone not bring deet at all and just deal with it.? Hate the stuff. Ok mahalo or I’ll look it all up.

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Zero View Post
    Holy snakes! Are you ****ting me. Am I supposed to have something in my first aid kit if I get bit by one of those things? And just as scary I assume plan on bears right? Like I need to buy some food hanging kit thingy magigi and use it religiously right? Or is it like you can keep your food in your tent and probably not get eaten alive? Finally no way I need one of those mosquito hats right? I’m bringing a tent but might cowboy it when ever possible. Ok I lied more stupid stupid bug question then shame me forever, I don’t really need to have insect repellent cloths or spray my tent or pack with some crazy bug stuff right? Just bring a little deet right? Anyone not bring deet at all and just deal with it.? Hate the stuff. Ok mahalo or I’ll look it all up.
    Depends on if bugs like you IMO. I don't use insect repellent and don't get bothered, my wife on the other hand, full Deet and she still gets eaten up. Supposedly it is partially attributable to your blood type. Theory says that insects are attracted to the bacteria on your skin that grows based on blood type. You have to be the judge of what risks you are willing to take.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Default Is NC to hot, humid, buggy in July?

You don't need permethrin treated clothes in NC. Bear proofing your food is a personal call and should be based on where you are camping. You can sleep with your food, hang it, or store it in a bear canister. Snakes are everywhere and not looking to bite you, so just watch your step.
    You can walk in another person's shoes, but only with your feet

Have hiked the Mountains through Pisgah for years now, usually in the middle of July. As long as you are above 2 or 3 thousand feet you’ll be just fine. Tons of wildlife and less people along the trails are the best benefits. Some people are too smart for their own good and I wouldn’t let them discourage you from hiking your hike. Nights are plenty cool enough, regardless of daytime tempatures.
    110 AT Miles
    Headed NOBO

"Embrace The Suck"

No DEET needed. I do treat my pack, shoes socks, pants with permethrin. Gnats will be the worst thing you will have to deal with so a head net might offer relief. Sleeping with food is up to you, although, bears in Nantahala and Citico are wary of humans since they are hunted in these areas. I hang if there's a good spot but have slept with the food bag on occasions.

Quote Originally Posted by troubletrev View Post
    Have hiked the Mountains through Pisgah for years now, usually in the middle of July. As long as you are above 2 or 3 thousand feet you’ll be just fine. Tons of wildlife and less people along the trails are the best benefits. Some people are too smart for their own good and I wouldn’t let them discourage you from hiking your hike. Nights are plenty cool enough, regardless of daytime tempatures.
    Pisgah is my old stomping ground and where I really started backpacking back in 1980. Of course there are many different Pisgahs---the Shining Rock Pisgah, the Grandfather Ranger District Pisgah, and a couple others.

My favorite place is in the Wilson Creek area on Upper Creek and Raider Camp and Harper/North Harper and Lost Cove Creek---and along Steels Creek near Linville Gorge.

In the last couple years I've pulled two trips in Piz---one for 22 days in July and a 24 day trip in May. No one mentions the Noseeums which can be hell in July---along with the Pisgah yellow jackets---a particular group indigenous to Piz that loves to chase and sting humans. On my trip in July I bushwacked up a hollow to connect Upper Creek trail to Greentown/MST and got walloped by five of the motards in quick succession.

Point is, July in Pisgah can be at times very miserable. The only time I ever build a campfire is generally in Piz to smoke and smudge away the noseeums. See below pic---

TRIP 157 381.jpg
    Smudge fire to dispel noseeums---midges---at a campsite on Upper Creek July 2014. No, I'm not cooking my crotch.

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Hey Tipi, you can get anti-fungals for that condition.

Images

hats off to you people that four season hike! there’s a reason we have screen doors and A/C in the south. Heat and bugs just suck. I live in sc and I hang up the pack between May and September. It’s just too bleeping hot. About the only good thing summer hikes have to offer is long days. When it’s light at 6am and stays light until 9, you can walk a long way! I much prefer three season hikes in Fall, Winter, and Spring.
    Please don't read my blog at theosus1.Wordpress.com
    "I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. Thank God for Search and Rescue" - Robert Frost (first edit).

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    hats off to you people that four season hike! there’s a reason we have screen doors and A/C in the south. Heat and bugs just suck. I live in sc and I hang up the pack between May and September. It’s just too bleeping hot. About the only good thing summer hikes have to offer is long days. When it’s light at 6am and stays light until 9, you can walk a long way! I much prefer three season hikes in Fall, Winter, and Spring.
    The way I see, we have to sleep with Miss Nature and take the bad with the good. If I hung it up from May to September, well heck, I might as well just sell my gear and attend stock car races or play golf.

Plus, the opportunity and fitness needed for backpacking is on an inevitable track to END---either to old age or ill health or life responsibilities ETC so the mandate is to get out at all costs whenever you can---in January or July.

Having just returned from 3 insect free weeks west of Childress, Texas & east of Moose, WY. ‘Nuff said.
    Y’all have fun.
    Wayne

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Having just returned from 3 insect free weeks west of Childress, Texas & east of Moose, WY. ‘Nuff said.
    Y’all have fun.
    Wayne
    Backpacking??? Living under an Interstate bridge??? Sitting inside a cooled meat locker??? No bugs in TX or WY??????

Quote Originally Posted by devoidapop View Post
    You don't need permethrin treated clothes in NC. Bear proofing your food is a personal call and should be based on where you are camping. You can sleep with your food, hang it, or store it in a bear canister. Snakes are everywhere and not looking to bite you, so just watch your step.
    Say what you will but I pulled three ticks off my daughter a few weeks ago. I will never assume they will not be out early. Lyme is in every state in the east. Treat your clothes.

What he said. Treat your clothes with permethrin.
    I have found that it keeps almost ALL bugs away, not just ticks.
    I have never brought or used bug spray (deet) or wipes on my late June section hikes; the permethrin on the clothing does the trick.

Quote Originally Posted by Theosus View Post
    hats off to you people that four season hike! .....I hang up the pack between May and September. It’s just too bleeping hot. .
    This would be the reason to consider a hike on the northern portion of the A.T. !!!!

13-45 Section Hiker Trash
    Images

Ok time to come clean without starting a out-of-shape thread, I’m not in terrible shape but I’m weighing in a 200 pounds at 5’11 and I’m 48 with so so knees. Heat and humidity aside for now it sounds like the AT north and south of Asheville is pretty grueling. Am I being a wimp or should I head up to an easier section like around Damascus, if that is in fact actually easier. Should a kook from Hawaii be looking for easier section in July? I’ve backpacked all over Hawaii but our trails are short and somewhat challenging ie Napali Coast, Haleakala and now closed Volcanoes NP. Any advice is greatly appreciated and now you have a friend in Hawaii
    So from your few posts in this thread I'm assuming you want to hike a section of the AT in the South. If that's that case and you have a month, then maybe start north of Great Smoky Mountains NP and see how far you get. Southern VA is also a really neat area. The trail through most of the Southeast is well graded, but you will deal with some sizable ascents and descents in places. If you are out of shape as you state you are and have 30 days to hike I would realistically plan on 300 - 350 miles. That would be a little over 10 miles a day with maybe a couple of lower mileage or 0 days mixed in there. As for the weather, who knows what you might get. Some summers are super hot and some are more mild. So far this one appears to be shaping up as a potential wet one.

Don't worry about poisonous snakes or bears. You're not likely to see either one. In 13+ years of hiking all over I've seen maybe a dozen bears and about 4 - 5 poisonous snakes. For food storage peruse other threads on here and decide what you think will work for you. As for bugs, ticks are the thing to worry the most about. Again peruse the threads on here to see how you might want to deal with them. In general, I have found that checking myself regularly has kept them off me for the most part. I'd also recommend not sitting in grass, brush or leaf litter when you are taking breaks or in camp. This is where ticks like to hang out. Always sit on something like a rock, log, picnic table at a shelter, etc.
    AT: 2007-2019 (45 sections)
    JMT: 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++