WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Lightweight summer sleeping bag

Looking for a sleeping bag for summer section hikes.

I guess 40 degree ?

Would like it durable but as light as possible.

Any suggestions?

Really depends on where you're planning on hiking. 40 degree bag won't cut it at higher elevations, or northern lattitudes, but would be overkill on the coastal plains.

I found quilts better than bags, especially for summer. Allows much more adjustment for temps. I use a 40 EE Revelation and it works well for me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Images

I've been using the Jacks R Better Shenandoah Quilt (http://www.jacksrbetter.com/shop/she...ngular-quilts/) for summer hikes for five or six years now. It's good for me down to 50 degrees with some clothing on (150 weight wool top and bottom, socks, light fleece hat.) I almost always take my light down jacket for camp, even in the summer, and that can extend it down into the low 40s. Like Hatchet, I find I prefer quilts in warmer temps, as they can be far more versatile. The Regular size is under a pound total weight.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Quote Originally Posted by PR Man View Post
    Looking for a sleeping bag for summer section hikes.

I guess 40 degree ?

Would like it durable but as light as possible.

Any suggestions?
    Check out the Enlightened Equipment website for quilts. Get one made with 7D shell and 950fp down and it will be extremely light. Durability is totally up to the user — treat it right and it'll last a long time no matter the materials, and just the reverse is true. If you would describe yourself as "hard on gear" probably best avoid 7D or even 10D shells.

I have a 30deg Enigma with 7D/950fp and it weighs 14.1oz, supremely stuffable!

I have been using a Big Agnes Kings Canyon quilt since last spring and really like it. Manufacturer doesn't list a temp rating but I have had it down to 40 degrees multiple times without any trouble. The current $170 price is too high in my opinion though. Here is a link to a review I did last summer http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-a...nyon-ul-quilt/, I'm up to about 30 nights with it so far and nothing to complain about.

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Check out the Enlightened Equipment website for quilts. Get one made with 7D shell and 950fp down and it will be extremely light. Durability is totally up to the user — treat it right and it'll last a long time no matter the materials, and just the reverse is true. If you would describe yourself as "hard on gear" probably best avoid 7D or even 10D shells.

I have a 30deg Enigma with 7D/950fp and it weighs 14.1oz, supremely stuffable!
    I've had my eye on the same quilt, but 40deg (with a liner if it gets too chilly). Thinking this could be my summer go-to for the AT?

Quote Originally Posted by Crushed Grapes View Post
    I've had my eye on the same quilt, but 40deg (with a liner if it gets too chilly). Thinking this could be my summer go-to for the AT?
    IMO adding the weight of a liner defeats the purpose of getting a super-light quilt. Better just to get something with a lower temp rating and stick a leg or arm out if it's too warm. I've done that a gazillion times and it works fine.

Garlic
    Images

Ditto the lower temp quilt. I got a 30F EE quilt for a summer trip and I think it's the best gear purchase I ever made. It performed well during a wet snowfall early in the year, and on some hot nights with 95F at sunset and 70F at sunrise, just a light throw to pull over when it got a little less warm.

I wish I'd gone with that quilt years earlier for my AT hike.

Thanks much to you both, awesome feedback

Leonidas

I used a 40* EE APEX Enigma last year for Fontana to Hot Springs. 15.97 oz
    Bought a 50* EE APEX Enigma for this year as all but one night, the 40* was more than I needed personally. 11.47 oz

For me, the 50* is more flexible for summer as I carry a light puffy, down booties and hat in case it gets cold. The one night it was in the 40s, I was in shorts and a merino t shirt, on a 1.3R pad and was plenty warm. I only woke up because my wife wasn't warm, she now uses the 40* quilt.

I like the APEX for the AT and the South East as it is almost always humid and/or damp.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

FWIW...
    A 50* high fill power down quilt tends to be a bust in all but the drier west or for very short trip. Most will find it listless and underfilled after a short bit. Looks good on a spec sheet but not in real life.

You said summer section hikes... I would assume you don't mean out west. (Where I would side with Garlic on 30-40* being a good choice).
    We can assume you mean an AT like trail... where there is some elevation and Katabatic zones. Where lows into the 40's are realistic at times.
    If you are talking where I live (midwest) or general flatlands... then summer could easily mean a bottom in the 60's.

So your choices are generally:
    A 40* down... Personally I like 850 fill as a maximum.
    A 40-50* synthetic. I like my Primaloft Gold quilts, but nothing wrong with Apex.

I think we all generally agree a quilt is the way to go. Reality is most nights you'll be warm to hot... and if you get that really odd night you're not going to freeze to death so being able to zip up a mummy and batten down the hatches isn't that big a priority. Venting and flexibility are the bigger goals; and that's where a quilt shines.

At age 62... a 30* is not out of the question if you want a do it all or plan to head out west. But being in NC you might find that too hot for most of your use. Buy for 80%, improvise for the other 20%.

Personally I like a 50/30/10 quiver of sleeping gear. If I were out west, I'd prefer the 40/20/0 line up.
    Synthetic quilt for summer.
    Mummy or quilt in down for shoulders (mummy on ground/quilt in a hammock).
    A good quality mummy for winter, with the option to layer my summer quilt over for deep winter (sub zero).

Images

Since the OP was asking about sleeping bags, I'm going to suggest looking at the Montbell Down Hugger series of bags.
    I've got an older Montbell that has served me well for many years.

For summer at below 5k ft when I go with a SUL to very low wt UL kit desiring a UL quilt but offering multiple functions as a UQ in a hammock and top layering fully opened quilt(blanket) to get down to 0* with a 20* FF Swallow UL I went with a 50*EE Revelation with 900 Down Tek and 10D fabrics. It comes in at 11.8 oz. Ive only had it out a few times so far but no loss of loft was experienced in wet weather bivying or under an A Frame tarp set up. I'm like JC in that if needed I'll wear everything dry I have sleeping in it to get me to the exception rather than the rule 40* night. If need be and it isn't raining I'll use the tarp for added warmth.

Quote Originally Posted by Burrhead View Post
    I have been using a Big Agnes Kings Canyon quilt since last spring and really like it. Manufacturer doesn't list a temp rating but I have had it down to 40 degrees multiple times without any trouble. The current $170 price is too high in my opinion though. Here is a link to a review I did last summer http://www.trailspace.com/gear/big-a...nyon-ul-quilt/, I'm up to about 30 nights with it so far and nothing to complain about.
    I too have a Big Agnes Kings Canyon, and have enjoyed it. I've used it down to right around 40F, with some sort of warm baselayer (I've forgotten what) and found it a bit chilly but passable, especially where I was it didn't hit the low till sometime way into the night/early morning. But I'm cold natured. For me, I like it into the upper 40's, maybe down to the mid 40's
    Mine is the older style, but from what I can tell they only changed the color, nothing more.
    and I agree that it's too expensive. If I had it to do over again knowing what I know, I'd look harder at something from one of the cottage quilt folks in a synthetic at that temp range.... Thinking it might be a better value for the $

++ New Posts ++