WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default June in Great Smokey Mountain National Park

I'm planning on backpacking on the AT in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park in June.
    Anybody have an idea what likely overnight temperatures I could expect? Trying to figure out what sleeping bag, etc. I'll need.
    Thanks.

You can ask for a bunch of opinions, or you can just look at the data.

Have fun!
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

it could be cold............it could be hot.....

myself? i would pack my summer sleeping bag and a pair of sweatpants and a fleece pullover.....

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    You can ask for a bunch of opinions, or you can just look at the data.

Have fun!
    Which is awesome if you're camping down at Elkmont or Cades Cove but not so much up at Peck's Corner or Silers Bald. Subtract roughly 10-15 degrees for parts of the AT above 5,000 - which is a goodly bit of the AT through the park. I've had water bottles freeze in June at Tricorner Knob. When I was running trails in the park years ago I would leave Cullowhee (below 2,000ft) in the afternoon and it would be 85 degrees and drive up to Newfound Gap and it would often be in the mid-60's. If the current trend continues for a few weeks more I would predict you'll find daytime temps in the mid to low-70's and nighttime lows in the low 40's. But, that said, its not at all rare to have a few successive rainy days up in the high country with daytime temps in the upper 50's. Lately, we've been getting violent afternoon thunderstorms where all hell breaks loose for a half hour and drops the temperature 10 degrees - I expect to see more of that in June. Especially up high.
    Quod gratis asseritur, gratis negatur.

I was there last July on a southbound section hike from Newfound Gap. could be chilly at night, but i don't think it was below 40 degree. I had a 45 degree sleeping bag, and I slept just fine.

Have never used any Apple products on my life. But there is an Android app called Appalachian Trail Weather which gives you shelter by shelter weather data.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

You really have to check the weather (specifically https://www.mountain-forecast.com/) just before your trip. Night time lows could easily be anywhere between 30º to 70º.
    Once spent the night at Icewater Spring shelter on July 4th with night time lows in the 30s.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    You really have to check the weather (specifically https://www.mountain-forecast.com/) just before your trip. Night time lows could easily be anywhere between 30º to 70º.
    Once spent the night at Icewater Spring shelter on July 4th with night time lows in the 30s.
    Yeah, been there too many times - enough to know I’ll never be without my 20* quilt I the Smokys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Is there not a web site that has actual historical highs and lows for elevated locations with the park? I know weatherunderground.com has a calendar that shows info for future weeks/months beyond the forecast range. Not sure what locations they have this info for in the park. Certainly someone has that info.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tundracamper View Post
    Is there not a web site that has actual historical highs and lows for elevated locations with the park? I know weatherunderground.com has a calendar that shows info for future weeks/months beyond the forecast range. Not sure what locations they have this info for in the park. Certainly someone has that info.
    Most defnitely is for clingmans dome and newfound gap.
    Try google.

Images

Here ya go--
    http://www.outragegis.com/weather/grsm/

In summer months, I take my Costco down throw DIY quilts.

Quote Originally Posted by waynecamp48 View Post
    I'm planning on backpacking on the AT in the Great Smokey Mountain National Park in June.
    Anybody have an idea what likely overnight temperatures I could expect? Trying to figure out what sleeping bag, etc. I'll need.
    Thanks.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

I bring my montbell super stretch #3, 30 degrees and just under 1.5lbs. I've never needed to zip it up.

++ New Posts ++