WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Welcome to the SOBO forum

This is a designated area specifically related to thru-hiking the entire trail southbound. Discuss the unique and interesting aspects of a sobo thru hike here.

Images

Alright, my plans were to hike nobo in march '07' however, my plans fell through due to an extra semester at school. Personally, I do not care which way I go and I am aware of the different weather/insect conditions when you start here in maine and go south. I know there are a lot less people too. I would like to know more specific details about southbounding it though, like what are my chances of eventually hooking up w/ a partner? Would I get a little too lonely? any feedback would be cool. thanks
    MEGA'07'

Quote Originally Posted by ryan207 View Post
    Alright, my plans were to hike nobo in march '07' however, my plans fell through due to an extra semester at school. Personally, I do not care which way I go and I am aware of the different weather/insect conditions when you start here in maine and go south. I know there are a lot less people too. I would like to know more specific details about southbounding it though, like what are my chances of eventually hooking up w/ a partner? Would I get a little too lonely? any feedback would be cool. thanks
    Hey Ryan, I believe we've spoken before. If you leave anywhere between June 1 and July 15 you will have your choice of hiking partners. When you meet along the trail you already have more in common than people you meet from day to day.
    Loneliness isn't an issue. You're on a narrow path where you can't avoid the other hikers and each day brings you to rest around others. You might actually find yourself wishing for more solitude.
    But no matter what your experience becomes, go light through the 100 miles, even if you add weight to your pack later, it's a beautiful stretch unless you overestimated your ability to hike with a heavy pack. There's really no place to make a switch before Monson.
    Peace

Images

Quote Originally Posted by warraghiyagey View Post
    Hey Ryan, I believe we've spoken before. If you leave anywhere between June 1 and July 15 you will have your choice of hiking partners. When you meet along the trail you already have more in common than people you meet from day to day.
    Loneliness isn't an issue. You're on a narrow path where you can't avoid the other hikers and each day brings you to rest around others. You might actually find yourself wishing for more solitude.
    But no matter what your experience becomes, go light through the 100 miles, even if you add weight to your pack later, it's a beautiful stretch unless you overestimated your ability to hike with a heavy pack. There's really no place to make a switch before Monson.
    Peace
    What would you know about hiking through the willderness with a heavy pack?? Yours couldn't have weighed more than 20 lbs!!! or was that your camera that weighed 20 lbs.. I forget... Any changes to the pack this year Warrgy?????
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

hillwalker your too old to walk! now get back to your 4 billion acres of trees. damm im jelous. can i snort the dust on your boots ol buddy?it should be my turn!im gonna send fudge when i know where you b .
    matthewski

Images

Default Yo maddy

HI ol buddy, When I get to my house I'm going to (my friends actually) are going to hold a big BBQ for me and any other SOBOs I pick up along the way. Then set out again for da south. Should happen about 40 days from June 15, 2008. Of course you are invited. On another note, I spent about 4 hours on sunday repainting the blazes on the trail section you all helped me with during Trashgiving. People were complaining that there were not enough. Geeez
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    What would you know about hiking through the willderness with a heavy pack?? Yours couldn't have weighed more than 20 lbs!!! or was that your camera that weighed 20 lbs.. I forget... Any changes to the pack this year Warrgy?????
    Well, yes among other things I learned on the trail, pack weight. But my great friends the Mobsters taught me that and so much more last summer. Which is why I head SOBO again this year so much better off.
    By the way Dude, you can't prove my camera weighed 20 pounds. Just because it cost $60 mail from Monson to Portland -not really
    Peace

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    And to answer your other question about changes to my pack. Yes.
    I've decided that zero books instead of three is best. And also, no legal pads this year instead of three? was it (although it was cool to get the one returned to me as the Lehman Register). Also no Carrots. Two bags may have been horribly naive. No apples (well maybe just one).
    No three man tent. No $160 Vasques that were dying by Monson. Trail Runners this year. No Nikon With 600 zoom film camera.
    No cotton. 5 Ts may have been a bit much.
    There now it's out there for everyone to see. You can learn a lot on the trail. Very quickly. It seems to have made me appreciate Monson even more. I might just live there one day.

well ryan207 i am planning a 2007 sobo leaving on july 4 i am a little older than you but i am sure we will meet on the trail maybe hike together. pm me if you want to talk a little more

Images

how early in the season will the ferry across the kennebec river be running anyone know?
    MEGA'07'

Quote Originally Posted by ryan207
    how early in the season will the ferry across the kennebec river be running anyone know?
    From the ferryman's website:

The Kennebec Ferry 2006 will operate daily from:

May 19 through July 14
    9 a.m. to 11 a.m.

July 15 through September 30
    9 a.m. to 11 a.m. & 2 p.m. to 4 p.m.

October 1 through October 9
    10 a.m. to 12 a.m.
    Roland

Images

nice, thats what I was hoping. thank you
    MEGA'07'

Do-it-yourself pepsi can stoves - $20 each. Amigi'sLastStand's Avatar
    Images

I leave on 6/11 from NJ doing a F/F. I'm gonna winter down south, then do the nobo deal from NJ to Kat next year. While I have never thru hiked this trail, soboing always appealed to me. Less ppl to me is a bonus. Not that I dont want to find a good hiking partner(s), it seems to me on WB that soboers are a little more dedicated to their experience than the hordes of noboers who are done by Blood Mountain or Neels gap. I also have walked south for some reason most of my life, so it seems natural to me.

The spacing of the shelters also seems to work better most of the way, imho.
    Last edited by RITBlake; 09-29-2006 at 12:20. Reason: removed vulgar and ridiculous portion of post.
    You are in heaven.

Default Anyone need a ride?

I am driving from Atlantic City, NJ to Monson, with an overnight stop in Warwick, RI to pick up a friend on the 22nd to 23rd. We will shuttle to Abol Bridge then hike Katahdin, then head south. I know it is short notice, but I can give rides if necessary. BTW, I am only hiking the 100 miles with my friend, who is going all the way. I should be returning south around July 1st, but plans may change. Email me if you are interested.
    -Greg Smith
    shouse (GA-ME '01)

Ryan, I am facing the same situation you are: school until June, then off to the trail. Maybe we'll run into each other and hike that 100 mile stretch together. Doing that part alone kind of scares me.

See ya on the trail! Starting July 1st.

Images

Default IB walking 2

Heading south from "K" as soon as school is out for summer. Humming "school's out for summer" ala Alice Cooper. Probably around June 15th I hope. Damb, now that's all that will be in my mind now for days.....
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

Images

Exclamation SOBO "100 miler" update

This just in: SOBO's TAKE NOTE: I have Bluemist held up in Millinocket awaiting out the pouring rain we are now getting up here. She is due to head out SOBO Mon or Tue. While in the BSP office, she was told of a gent from Norway who had just hiked from Monson NOBO to BSP yesterday. He reported there was a lot of snow on the trail and water up to his waist at river/stream crossings. Now figuring him to be TALL, that's high water!
    Do one thing everyday...that makes you happy...

Quote Originally Posted by boarstone View Post
    This just in: SOBO's TAKE NOTE: I have Bluemist held up in Millinocket awaiting out the pouring rain we are now getting up here. She is due to head out SOBO Mon or Tue. While in the BSP office, she was told of a gent from Norway who had just hiked from Monson NOBO to BSP yesterday. He reported there was a lot of snow on the trail and water up to his waist at river/stream crossings. Now figuring him to be TALL, that's high water!
    Sounds awesome, can't wait.

avatar= bushwhackin' mount kancamagus nh 5-8-04 neighbor dave's Avatar
    Images

it's snowin' on katahdin as i type

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++