WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

I've had knee issues for years (torn menisci and arthritis)due most likely to sports injuries. I strongly recommend PT as opposed to surgery-I've had both. In 2013 an MRI showed a big meniscus tear in my rt. knee, but I decided against surgery as I had already lost the other meniscus in that knee and didn't want to lose any more cartilage. I did the excercises religiously and in one month things had turned around to the extent that I was able to finish NH without too much issue a couple months later. The beauty of PT is that when I start to have problems again I start the excercises and so far it has kept straightening things out. I also wear a knee brace when hiking, usually just a neoprene sleeve, but take a heavy duty hinged one with me just in case. I never had ACL issues, but hopefully this info is helpful.

Bottom line-my knee issues have never stopped my AT hiking-I've had to get off and heal on occasion, but only temporarily.
    "Sea Eagle"

Leonidas

Quote Originally Posted by wdanner View Post
    The big down side of a long distance hike is that it's impossible to eat a solid low-inflammation diet. There is that, which could end up being a key part of minimizing the inflammation in my knee and allowing it to get stronger without reinflamming.
    Look into getting some turmeric, natural anti-inflammatory and it can be added to all kinds of food.
    AT: 695.7 mi
    Benton MacKaye Trail '20
    Pinhoti Trail '18-19'
    @leonidasonthetrail https://www.youtube.com/c/LeonidasontheTrail

Quote Originally Posted by wdanner View Post
    The big down side of a long distance hike is that it's impossible to eat a solid low-inflammation diet. There is that, which could end up being a key part of minimizing the inflammation in my knee and allowing it to get stronger without reinflamming.
    This is true, but being aware of low inflammatory foods and supplements and following as well as possible can only help. Also, if your inflammatory load is minimal at the start of hike (through diet, supplements, medications) you will probably have less pain.

Not sure if mentioned already but... hiking poles plus little bitty steps (sometimes sideways cha cha steps) on downhills helps my knees tremendously.

Consider rice when possible. Rest, ice, compression (or cold spring water compress), and elevation with rest stops and in evening.

best of luck to you!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++