WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Here's another neat thing up in the sky....the ISS. The following site (NASA) has an email list (sign up link to right). You can get an alert when ever the ISS is going to go over your area. Visible with naked eye. Email gives time, direction, etc info.

Journal Entries
    Images

During my thru I was able to get great views of the stars and the Milkey Way. These views were all second best until I viewed the night sky from Madison Hut on the slope of Mt. Washington. By far the best view of our night sky?
    Grampie-N->2001

Images

Saw the Milky Way from the Bigelows in Maine last year.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Shooting Star View Post
    We're colliding with this galaxy in several billion years. Can you imagine the night
    sky in the distant future with another galaxy dominating the night sky?
    Given that we're already IN the Milky Way, and the Milky Way doesn't "dominate" the night sky, why would another galaxy joining in dominate anything...

But what I really find interesting is that galaxies contain so much empty space, that when Andromeda and the Milky Way "collide", none of the stars are likely to crash into one another.

Get one of the Apps like Starfinder or Skyview etc., gives lots of fun to find the more prominent planets and stars, and manmade objects like the ISS (which is the brightest item on the nightsky, aside of the moon).
    Be aware that the app will eat up battery life.

To detect the Milky Way in nature you should have an unobstructed view of a big portion of the sky, and of course as little light pollution as possible (and no moon, btw.).

Images

Quote Originally Posted by JPritch View Post
    Good to hear a few responses about seeing it at Grayson Highlands as I'm headed there this weekend! Might be justification enough to bring my camera along with me so I can take a few long exposure shots!
    Good timing - looks like mostly clear skies and closing in on a new moon this weekend.
    It's all good in the woods.

By far my best night skies were in maine

I captured this image in the Grayson Highlands a couple of years ago. The rhododendron were in full bloom so it was a pretty magical trip all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Grizzly Adam

WACphotography | Blog

Stratton Mountain, Vermont
    --------------

Latest estimates:

100 billion stars, minimum, per galaxy. (100,000,000,000)

2 trillion galaxies X 100 billion stars, (200,000,000,000,000,000,000,000)

These numbers are really awe inspiring and probably will be revised upward in the future.
    --------------

" He is counting the number of the stars;

All of them he calls by their names."

-- Psalm 147:4
    Last edited by atraildreamer; 05-13-2018 at 09:32.

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

Quote Originally Posted by grizzlyadam View Post
    I captured this image in the Grayson Highlands a couple of years ago. The rhododendron were in full bloom so it was a pretty magical trip all around.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Fantastic shot! Good to see I'm not the only one that hikes with a tripod

I spent three weeks on the trail in Virginia back in 1997 when the Hale Bopp comet was visible overhead. Magical nights.

Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    Here's another neat thing up in the sky....the ISS. The following site (NASA) has an email list (sign up link to right). You can get an alert when ever the ISS is going to go over your area. Visible with naked eye. Email gives time, direction, etc info.
    I use the app called ISS Spotter. Love seeing that thing fly over.

Crushed Grapes that is a good shot. After seeing that one, I'm going to have to start bringing a fast wide angle lens with me on future AT sections. Didn't bother when I did the most northern 600 miles and regret it now. Though I've often have gotten some pretty good shots of the nightsky out here in California including places along the PCT. Never really thought about trying back east due to the light pollution in many places.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by ADK Walker View Post
    I use the app called ISS Spotter. Love seeing that thing fly over.
    Quote Originally Posted by waywardfool View Post
    +1 on the ISS thing.... my wife and I caught the ISS flying over our heads last year, backpacking in Canyonlands NP.. What a cool little surprise and experience. Hard to believe how bright that thing can be, looks downright alien.

If I see a Milky Way on the trail it doesn’t stand a chance...I prefer Snickers but am not that picky
    ;-p
    Why don't you knock it off with them negative waves?!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++