WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Need advice on degree temp for quilts

Before I begin, I realize everyone is different when it comes to sleeping and warmth but I'm hoping to get a general idea about what degree quilt to get for an early March start for a 2019 thru. I have a 30 degree under and top quilt from Hammock Gear and used them on the Long Trail in July. Absolutely love them but I know they won't be warm enough for March. However, I'm stuck between buying a 10 degree or 20. I don't consider myself a 'warm' or 'cold' sleeper. A 20 degree is more versatile but am I flat out going to be freezing if I buy the 20's. I'm going to be wearing a wool sleeping layer, socks, and I have a nanopuff that I can layer on top as well as my buff but I'm still unsure if I'm cutting it too close and should opt for the 10. If we have another frigid March with nights that dip below 20 and into the teens, could I get away with a 20 and sleeping layers? I would rather have the 20 because I could use it for longer....For those of you in sleeping bags, do you normally use a 20 degree or 10 for March?

My general advice for hammock quilts is to plan on 10 degrees lower than you think you'll need for the under quilt if you're a "normal" sleeper. So, if you want to plan for 20 degrees I would recommend a 10 degree under quilt and 20 degree top quilt. Now, I am a cold sleeper myself (especially after hiking all day) so I personally plan on a 20 degree margin for the under quilt and a 10 degree margin for the top quilt e.g. if I expect a low temperature of 40 degrees I bring a 20 under quilt and 30 degree top quilt and find that to be the edge of comfort for me personally.

Only you can really answer the question about what you need but my thinking is that it's easy to loosen up the quilt and allow more draft if I'm too hot but there's not much I can do if I'm too cold. Too cold can be dangerous as well. An extra 10 degrees of insulation isn't that much extra weight and quilts are expensive.

Journal Entries

It all depends on how cold you are willing to be for how long.
    If you want to be warm snug cozy and well-rested every night...... Err on the conservative side.

Quite honestly I think you ought to be considering zero degree quilt.

If you have a down parka and down pants, gloves and booties as well yeah you can probably get by with a 20 ok, then start shipping that stuff home as you don't need it.

Nanopuff.....nanopuff??.....that not nearly enough jacket . You'll freeze around Camp while setting up and cooking Etc when the temps under 50 degrees. Think down in 4 oz fill range. Just myo
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-07-2018 at 15:27.

Could also add down pants and cheap zlite pad to start with the 30* set up.....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

I have a 0* Warbonnet Wooki under quilt and a 20* Warbonnet Mamba for the cooler times. I also broke down and got the new Warbonnet Blackbird XLC with a winter cover and a under quilt protector. With that combination I am like in my own little cocoon. When it warms up I switch out the under quilt for a Warbonnet 20* Yeti 3/4 quilt.
    Blackheart

++ New Posts ++